Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Terenty

Liturgist
Yeah i gave up on the game too, the plot is interesting enough to watch on youtube, but the gameplay is complete garbage. Everything seems to have been made to annoy player at every corner, obnoxious loading times, giant ass city that you have to traverse with a snails pace, detective work is repetitive as fuck, empty world with nothing interesting in it etc etc.

If you dont have recourses to make an open world why the hell waste you time on it anyway?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah i gave up on the game too, the plot is interesting enough to watch on youtube, but the gameplay is complete garbage. Everything seems to have been made to annoy player at every corner, obnoxious loading times, giant ass city that you have to traverse with a snails pace, detective work is repetitive as fuck, empty world with nothing interesting in it etc etc.

If you dont have recourses to make an open world why the hell waste you time on it anyway?
Yeah,going for open world was the stupidest thing they could have done. They should have made it in to few dark and creepy hub areas like in Vampire and the just spread a few cases here and there. They wasted so much time and energy to hand craft the whole city,and then fill it with identical dragon age 2 type of rooms. It is just retarded,tho expected from modern sjw morons.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am forced to agree that an open world was not a great format for this. I don't think it really ruined the design, like what happened with Silent Hill Downpour. I just don't think it hits what they wanted to do or dovetails particularly well with the rest of the game.

Personally, I'm still loving it. I love the time it takes to traverse the world with nothing happening. I appreciate the use of negative space and "the notes they're not playing". I'm delighted that I'm not doing normal open world shit like collecting coins, knocking down towers, or "kill 10 raiders"ing. I like seeing all the weird people walking around, starting with other "normal" dudes in trenchcoats and ending with barechested, tattooed neuromancers ranting and leaning on their walking sticks. I'm extra delighted to actually be learning my way around ... the beginnings of "going native". But I'm content in the realization that the virtue I see, only I see.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Personally, I'm still loving it. I love the time it takes to traverse the world with nothing happening. I appreciate the use of negative space and "the notes they're not playing". I'm delighted that I'm not doing normal open world shit like collecting coins, knocking down towers, or "kill 10 raiders"ing. I like seeing all the weird people walking around, starting with other "normal" dudes in trenchcoats and ending with barechested, tattooed neuromancers ranting and leaning on their walking sticks. I'm extra delighted to actually be learning my way around ... the beginnings of "going native". But I'm content in the realization that the virtue I see, only I see.

You are larping and you cannot go native because there are not natives in that dead world but whatever. Different strokes for different folks.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you didn't know I'm a "larper"* by now, you haven't been paying attention.
*Codex "larper": anyone who uses their imagination when playing video games

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh just finished this pile of elephant shit,the ending was no ending at all. I noticed that a lot of story was cut off mid game,by the end of the game i didn't even know if i was releasing Dagon or some mother of gaping assholes. The whole character backstory was cut after the second journal log,after that nothing is dimension about our protag. Half the main quests are in a way meaningless and lead to nothing,all the choices are the same. The writing of the main story is also filled with sjw retardation,fuck even met trump that wanted to build a wall around a sinking city to not let rapefugies in. Such nonsensical ego boosting garbage really takes you out of the "story". Most of the main quests give you an impression that will lead to something,but they don't. Also the fuck was that garbage about the deep ones being mayan gods?!?!?!?! The retards didn't even knew where the mayan civilizations was,and the last third was filled with mayan temples in the mid northern america......ah ok. The whole fishpeople summoning Dagon was unfinished and just dropped. The whole main story is fucking unfinished mess that at least three different writers wrote. There is some interesting unfinished ideas in there but mid way some retarded sjw hack decided to become a writer and ended up making a mess.

In the end it is unfinished garbage game that disrespects your time.

PS: FUCK UNDERWATER LEVELS!!!!!!

vota DC

Augur

Yeah,going for open world was the stupidest thing they could have done. They should have made it in to few dark and creepy hub areas like in Vampire and the just spread a few cases here and there. They wasted so much time and energy to hand craft the whole city,and then fill it with identical dragon age 2 type of rooms. It is just retarded,tho expected from modern sjw morons.

Mods can fix It? The engine and the rooms are there, they are just empty/copypasted

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Mods can fix It? The engine and the rooms are there, they are just empty/copypasted
Yeah,they will make the whole game in to a Mordon maze where you go from room to room,killing monsters and reading garbage.

Terenty

Liturgist
Finished watching it on youtube. The story turned out to be shit too, with half the quests having nothing to do with the main rather cliche plot and a mandatory "gather three pieces of crap from different corners of the map to see the ending" quest.

My advice to anyone who values their time - dont touch it.

Zombra

Patron
This would be a very weird project for a modder to undertake.
Like DA2, the room contents in vanilla are different; it's the layouts that are identical. So they'd have to take out all the hand placed content, build a ton of new location maps, then put the content back in in a way that made sense. And for what?
The level of
crazyrobot.gif
this would require makes this outcome extraordinarily unlikely.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
FYI: I only played for, like, one minute, but it's working great on Linux using DXVK 1.2.2 and Lutris. Only workaround I had to use was adding XAudio2.7 to Wine's libraries to enable audio. Gonna go deeper into the game now.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Buahahahahah this game is cracking me up,great writing! Just finished commiting a mass murder trough deadly and painful poison that takes days to finish those poor people,only to go on and deliver a speech how bigotry is evul and you shouldn't hate all fish people that kidnap and rape women!
Fish Lives Matter.

randir14

Augur
I noticed that a lot of story was cut off mid game,by the end of the game i didn't even know if i was releasing Dagon or some mother of gaping assholes.

There were numerous references that it was
"the daughter of the Dreamer." AKA Cthylla, Cthulhu's daughter.

Codex Year of the Donut
This was meant to be an official Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game before Frogwares for some reason got dumped and replaced by Cyanide. They decided to keep on making the game anyway. Lovecraft's writings are in the public domain so they didn't have to change anything except for the title.
This isn't true. Lovecraft died without any close relatives, the copyright went to distant relatives who didn't even understand what it was. The copyright status of all post-1923 Lovecraft work is in dispute.

Also, Chaosium is notoriously shitty about this -- they've attempted to lay claim to anything mentioning "Call of Cthulhu" or using the Elder God sign. Yeah, seriously.
Also, you have to be careful about using stuff that's part of the mythos but not written by Lovecraft himself.
oh look, it just happened. Again.
Chaosium sent a C&D to Open Cthulhu(for various reasons, including as far as I can tell trademark infringements) then made a statement that there is no OGL for their games while refusing to give any straightforward answers to things like the OGL status of Legend(which is essentially OGL BRP.) Because they're a piece of shit company. Pretty sure they just shit all over a bunch of various games built on OGL'd material(e.g., OpenQuest, GORE).
If you touch Lovecraft's work expect to have to go to court if you're even remotely successful because Chaosium seems to believe they own the Cthulhu IP(!) and are apparently willing to shit all over everything to go after you.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I noticed that a lot of story was cut off mid game,by the end of the game i didn't even know if i was releasing Dagon or some mother of gaping assholes.

There were numerous references that it was
"the daughter of the Dreamer." AKA Cthylla, Cthulhu's daughter.
I do remember some of those,still there were many other references about some mother of gapping assholes and Dagon. By the end i didn't know who was i ignoring,and to be honest i didn't even care about it. The whole main story is a mess. Who is waking,why is waking,etc etc. Also there is a lot of contradictions about the cycle.

thesecret1

Arcane
It seemed as though the devs didn't really read Shadow Over Innsmouth, since the way they handled Innsmouthers is mindboggling. Like when you go on a big speech about how Thronghmorton should stop being a fucking bigot, talking about how "Not all Innsmouthers are bad" and that it's the fault of local for being racist that Innsmouthers join the "radical organization" Esoteric Order of Dagon. But that's just not true. Innsmouthers literally aren't human – they're essentially a larval stage of Deep Ones and they all do worship Dagon. Hell, Innsmouthers even made sure to murder anyone who discovered their secret, as well as purging any dissenters after they took over the town. So why is the game portraying them as some poor opressed refugees? Especially after it is shown, time and time again, that they're one of the biggest assholes in town, responsible for numerous murders and kidnappings? Why is MC deadset on whiteknighting his balls of for fish monsters, to the point of slaughering KKK over it, while being fine with poisoning strangers with ricin or killing an elderly lady seeking to save her son?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Chaosium sent a C&D to Open Cthulhu(for various reasons, including as far as I can tell trademark infringements) then made a statement that there is no OGL for their games while refusing to give any straightforward answers to things like the OGL status of Legend(which is essentially OGL BRP.) Because they're a piece of shit company. Pretty sure they just shit all over a bunch of various games built on OGL'd material(e.g., OpenQuest, GORE).
If you touch Lovecraft's work expect to have to go to court if you're even remotely successful because Chaosium seems to believe they own the Cthulhu IP(!) and are apparently willing to shit all over everything to go after you.

Is there Lovecraftian/Cthulhu RPG which is OGL?

Codex Year of the Donut

Is there Lovecraftian/Cthulhu RPG which is OGL?
That's what 'Open Cthulhu' was meant to be.
Technically they should have been able to lift the rules from OGL'd Legend(formerly known as Mongoose RuneQuest -- this is how things like OpenQuest and GORE were created) and slap some public domain cthulhu mythos in there.
Chaosium seems to be laying claim to whatever they can to prevent it from being released. They likely know it's bullshit but it's easy for corporations to legally bully individuals/tiny corporations.

Terenty

Liturgist
It seemed as though the devs didn't really read Shadow Over Innsmouth, since the way they handled Innsmouthers is mindboggling. Like when you go on a big speech about how Thronghmorton should stop being a fucking bigot, talking about how "Not all Innsmouthers are bad" and that it's the fault of local for being racist that Innsmouthers join the "radical organization"

Yeah, and then Thronghmorton replied smth like "i will think about my behaviour" instead of telling mc to fuck off. I guess devs wanted to score some points from journos, but to no avail apparently.

vota DC

Augur
It seemed as though the devs didn't really read Shadow Over Innsmouth, since the way they handled Innsmouthers is mindboggling. Like when you go on a big speech about how Thronghmorton should stop being a fucking bigot, talking about how "Not all Innsmouthers are bad" and that it's the fault of local for being racist that Innsmouthers join the "radical organization" Esoteric Order of Dagon. But that's just not true. Innsmouthers literally aren't human – they're essentially a larval stage of Deep Ones and they all do worship Dagon. Hell, Innsmouthers even made sure to murder anyone who discovered their secret, as well as purging any dissenters after they took over the town. So why is the game portraying them as some poor opressed refugees? Especially after it is shown, time and time again, that they're one of the biggest assholes in town, responsible for numerous murders and kidnappings? Why is MC deadset on whiteknighting his balls of for fish monsters, to the point of slaughering KKK over it, while being fine with poisoning strangers with ricin or killing an elderly lady seeking to save her son?

This is just an option like in New Vegas you can help Powder Gangers to kill your Goodsprings saviors at the beginning of the game or your character will always say Innsmouthers dindu nuffin?

thesecret1

Arcane
This is just an option like in New Vegas you can help Powder Gangers to kill your Goodsprings saviors at the beginning of the game or your character will always say Innsmouthers dindu nuffin?
The only options are whether you start preaching about Innsmouthers or if you straight up call him a bigot. It gets worse as the game advances. Really, I consider this a blatant attempt at entering the Deep Ones market with this blatant pandering.

Codex Year of the Donut
KKK is literally worse than Cthulhu

lightbane

Arcane
Oh hey, what's Codex's opinion of this-

Yeah this game seems to have some weird sympathetic tendencies towards Dagon worshipers. I don't feel bad that the government destroyed Innsmouth and I don't feel bad that the "refugees" are being mistreated.
? Why is MC deadset on whiteknighting his balls of for fish monsters, to the point of slaughering KKK over it, while being fine with poisoning strangers with ricin or killing an elderly lady seeking to save her son?

Every. Damn. Time. Even when they proclaim the game is racist, at some points devs immediately backpedal. Of course there's also a DRUMP! attack as well, setting and consistency put aside. Why do SJWs still keep raging him?

here were numerous references that it was

... Why would they give Cthulhu a family? I don't remember this being a thing in classic Lovecraft stories.

Oh well, it explains why this game had a low score in Meristation, a hard-to-achieve feat.

vota DC

Augur
... Why would they give Cthulhu a family? I don't remember this being a thing in classic Lovecraft stories.

Lovecraft wrote about Cthulhu without considering Japan. Japanese women love tentacles, so Cthulhu can have his family.

The only options are whether you start preaching about Innsmouthers or if you straight up call him a bigot. It gets worse as the game advances. Really, I consider this a blatant attempt at entering the Deep Ones market with this blatant pandering.

Modders could mod this for the steam release (maybe they get from steam some closed access and steam released is delayed?) so they will make this game great again and defeat epic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom