Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished the game. God damn that was good.

tsc_76.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Following up on that, I've been continuing the game and it didn't spiral downhill or anything after that one weird moment. It was just, "That was weird," and then it went back to good spooky stories and fighting spiders and tentacle bears. I expect there'll be a few more "moments" later but it's nowhere close to that being what the game is about.

Does anyone remember the Verizon commercial in Alan Wake? That's kinda what this reminds me of.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This looks good to me in the gameplay videos I've watched, and your posts kind of seal the deal. I dunno about $60 though... we'll see when my Hitman 2 obsession wears off.
Note that the Worshippers of the Necronomicon DLC is good solid content I'd be sad if you missed. I don't condone Day One DLC but it's something to bear in mind when making your decision.

Here's a quick roundup of my recommended settings:

Make sure you have "Long Distance" Off and "All Interactivity" On and both difficulties set to maximum. Everything else you can season to taste - I even think it would be okay if you wanted the compass on, though you certainly don't need it. I ended up opening my map screen constantly instead which was a slight drag.

Also be sure to play with a controller. Sadly M+K controls are missing analog movement so you'll be sprinting every time you move an inch, which is ruinous to the pacing and atmosphere.

SumDrunkGuy

I have a pet goldfish named Dagon.

Sad this turned out to be a disappointment, but I will still buy it and try it out. It can't be worse that Cyanide's CoC right?

Cyanide's CoC is really good. It's not necessarily fun to play, but they nailed the storytelling and atmosphere damn near perfectly.

The Sunken City on the other hand looks like a complete mess. I'm not gonna bother with it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also be sure to play with a controller. Sadly M+K controls are missing analog movement so you'll be sprinting every time you move an inch, which is ruinous to the pacing and atmosphere.

We'll see, I really only use a controller when I absolutely have to and am then mad at the game the entire time for making me do so (2D platformers aside). It's definitely annoying when a game doesn't give you a walk toggle though, especially if it has "follow me" sections.

Zombra

Patron
Cyanide's CoC is really good. It's not necessarily fun to play, but they nailed the storytelling and atmosphere damn near perfectly.
The Sunken City on the other hand looks like a complete mess. I'm not gonna bother with it.
If storytelling and atmosphere are enough to make you like a game, I'm honestly confused how you could be disinterested in this. Even the haters agree that the atmosphere is good.

We'll see, I really only use a controller when I absolutely have to and am then mad at the game the entire time for making me do so (2D platformers aside). It's definitely annoying when a game doesn't give you a walk toggle though, especially if it has "follow me" sections.
Up to you of course. Except for that one thing, M+K is fine ... but personally I can't stand games that force you to run constantly, particularly when pacing is so critical to the setting. FWIW there are no "follow me" sections here, technically no reason you can't sprint everywhere like a lunatic.

SumDrunkGuy

If storytelling and atmosphere are enough to make you like a game, I'm honestly confused how you could be disinterested in this. Even the haters agree that the atmosphere is good.

Another reason why Cyanide's game worked for me was that it's incredibly short. It's only about 4-5 hours long which is a good length for what that game is. If it was say 20 hours long, it would have wore out it's welcome well before the half way point.

I'm not interested in playing a dull, clunky, repetitive open world game for 20 plus hours. Sounds like a lousy experience, and some of the story beats I'm seeing posted in this thread (oppressed fish people, gay ape men, the fuck?) sound beyond retarded. I'm not interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDR13

Arcane
I'd say it's a 7/10 game at best.

CoC, which I happen to be playing right now, I'd rate 6 or 6.5.

Zombra

Patron
Some of the story beats I'm seeing posted in this thread (oppressed fish people, gay ape men, the fuck?) sound beyond retarded. I'm not interested.
That depends on how much of a conservative snowflake you are of course. I will repeat that I saw five to eight seconds of anti-racist dialogue in the game. Anyone posting about how the game is "all about saving the poor fish people" are triggered morons. I think there is one gay human couple in the game, zero gay ape men, and spoiler one bestiality fetishist, who is anything but glorified. I mean, it's truly OK if you refuse to hear any anti-racist sentiment ever ... but please don't base your decision on the hysterical exaggerations of one or two rightly tagged dumbfucks.

Another reason why Cyanide's game worked for me was that it's incredibly short. It's only about 4-5 hours long which is a good length for what that game is. If it was say 20 hours long, it would have wore out it's welcome well before the half way point. I'm not interested in playing a dull, clunky, repetitive open world game for 20 plus hours.
Now this on the other hand is a valid reason. I enjoyed this game all the way through because it hit the perfect flavor for me. If a mix of excellent detective stories and Silent Hill-style combat don't light your fire, you would indeed get sick of this.

GandGolf

Augur
Another reason why Cyanide's game worked for me was that it's incredibly short. It's only about 4-5 hours long which is a good length for what that game is.

At the 45 dollar price that's about 9 to 10 bucks am hour, which is way too expensive for my taste. When the price comes down to $20 or less then I may think about getting it, though I will likely wait until it goes on sale.

SumDrunkGuy

Another reason why Cyanide's game worked for me was that it's incredibly short. It's only about 4-5 hours long which is a good length for what that game is.

At the 45 dollar price that's about 9 to 10 bucks am hour, which is way too expensive for my taste. When the price comes down to $20 or less then I may think about getting it, though I will likely wait until it goes on sale.

It's $25 on Amazon. Still a bit too much considering it's length and limited replay value. I figured it would be a lot cheaper by now.

Sòren

Arcane
how much of Lovecrafts work did they cram in the game? having the apeman in there seems kinda weird.

Zombra

Patron
how much of Lovecrafts work did they cram in the game? having the apeman in there seems kinda weird.
The devs used a scattershot approach in taking stuff from the books to use in this setting. In previews and interviews, they made a point of repeating that although the game is based on Lovecraft's ideas and themes, it is not supposed to be a 1:1 Lovecraft story. You won't think, "Oh, this would have been HPL's next novel." It does have an unexpected feel, but not in a bad way. The setting they've created is consistent and interesting (imo).

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I just finished Call of Cthulhu. The Sinking City is definitely the better game, though I realize that's not really saying much.

CoC really falls apart towards the end. Thank God it wasn't longer because I had to force myself through those last few chapters. - 5/10

Starwars

Arcane
This game suuuuuuuuucks. Lovecraftian games are a dead end, they should be abandoned forever.

Well, I guess I'll have to play Stygian too since I backed it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game, and the racism warning in the beginning of the game falls flat on its face when the only racism perceived in the game is against abominations known as Innsmouthers. They are part of a cult that impregnates women with the seed of Deep Ones for god sake...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finished the game, and the racism warning in the beginning of the game falls flat on its face when the only racism perceived in the game is against abominations known as Innsmouthers. They are part of a cult that impregnates women with the seed of Deep Ones for god sake...
But,but they are not as evil as KKK that fights them. Clearly they are eviller for fighting them poor fish people! Maybe you should check your privilege,mate!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom