Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From out of nowhere, new enhanced versions(!) of Thief 2 and System Shock 2

spekkio

Arcane
Oh, I thought that the screenshot you posted was yours.

:roll:

This new patch is way too small to have any new resource files included anyway.

Gord

Arcane
The hybrid is from the SS2 Rebirth mod, then, I guess. Would have been kinda convenient to have it bundled, but it's no big thing either way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The hybrid is from the SS2 Rebirth mod, then, I guess. Would have been kinda convenient to have it bundled, but it's no big thing either way.

Difference between Thief and SS2: Thief has a shitton of fan missions. SS2 has a shitton of mods.

That's why there's no unified community mod package for SS2 like there are for the Thief games - there are just too many good ones.

I would recommend the stickied mods here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?board=2.0

If you're really eager to play the game with the new patch, you can follow the instructions here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4128.msg45551#msg45551

spekkio

Arcane
Infinitron said:
you would need to install additional mods to change models and textures
Only steers and queers use those. Originals are perfectly fine.

:obviously:

Gord

Arcane
Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure if I'm going to play right now, I'm mostly curious about that patch.
Have a few other things on hold already.

Guess I'll pick a few of the usual graphic mods again, gameplay-wise I never felt much need to change things.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I don't know, those hi-res screenshots look worse than the lo-res ones to me. These games were never meant to be played in such a high resolution and it shows.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
scaled.php

:hmmm:

Oookay, suit yourself.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I talked about higher resolutions, not texture mods. :roll:
It just looks too sterile for me.

spekkio

Arcane
To me it looks exactly like SS2 in 800x600 or 1024x768. Only with smaller UI and additional space to the left and right.
SS2 was always "sterile".
If you played exclusively on 14'' CRT your experience may vary, though...

spekkio

Arcane
The guy who uploaded those files was a pro.
Check out all this new stuff made clearly for modders (doc folder).

:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The guy who uploaded those files was a pro.
Check out all this new stuff made clearly for modders (doc folder).

:salute:

Yes, I would be surprised if it wasn't an ex-LG guy working on this in his spare time for the past three years.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure it's a team and i kinda suspect who they're likely to be (think about it, not very many people with coding projects on the thief community).

Finally, i don't think it's anyone from LGS, just from the rather extensive list of dromed fixes - it takes experience with the tool to be that laser guided or very experienced beta testers.
Hint: ddfix stopped releasing a while ago, the patch completely obsoletes it.

I think they made the right call, not to get bogged down with a Eidos lawsuit for nothing. The patch will never be on GoG for the lazy, but who cares.

My only complaint is that they should have leaked a (sanatized of identity information) updated source for the future generations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm pretty sure it's a team and i kinda suspect who they're likely to be (think about it, not very many people with coding projects on the thief community).

Finally, i don't think it's anyone from LGS, just from the rather extensive list of dromed fixes - it takes experience with the tool to be that laser guided or very experienced beta testers.
Hint: ddfix stopped releasing a while ago, the patch completely obsoletes it.

I think they made the right call, not to get bogged down with a Eidos lawsuit for nothing. The patch will never be on GoG for the lazy, but who cares.

My only complaint is that they should have leaked a (sanatized of identity information) updated source for the future generations.

Timeslip, huh? I don't know that he was ever involved with the fan mission community and Dromed, though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Is it me being drunk, or is the mouse control kinda wonky (feels somehow like this 'mouse smoothing' newshit).
That's the Dark Engine. It has really awkward (apparently pointlessly convoluted) mouse handling. Although the changelog says that vertical and horizontal mouse movement is now identical regardless of resolution, this is not the case from what I can tell - it's 1:1 for standard 4:3 ratios, but widescreen has different sensitivity between the x and y axis. The same thing happened with ddfix.

You might also be thinking of v-sync, which adds input lag in pretty much every game (except a few which are smart and have the cursor non-synced while the rest of the game is). You can turn that off in the config files or by forcing it off via your graphics control panel, but in that case I would a) turn on the framerate limit and set it to 60 fps and b) set the physics to refresh at 60 fps as well so you don't get stuff like moving too fast/slow based on the current framerate.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Doesn't need to be... there are oodles of potential betatesters with a decade of dromed experience that are closed lipped enough if you restrict yourself... for instance Nightcrawler. There's no reason why it couldn't have a LGS programer in addition to being a team though (except those people are gainfully employed)... but no reason for either.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Any idea if this patches wil brake a savegame of a curent game? I am playing Thief 1 for the first time right now and just finished mage towers, would love to try this patch but would rather hold off and try it on thief 2 if its gonna brake my savegame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Any idea if this patches wil brake a savegame of a curent game? I am playing Thief 1 for the first time right now and just finished mage towers, would love to try this patch but would rather hold off and try it on thief 2 if its gonna brake my savegame.

It will, but you can restart the mission I think.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, I've never played the first two Thief games and this seems like the perfect time to do so.

Anything I should know beforehand, or just dive right in?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bros, I've never played the first two Thief games and this seems like the perfect time to do so.

Anything I should know beforehand, or just dive right in?

Nothing in particular. Just remember to explore, explore, explore. There's lot of stuff to see.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'd wait until both 'fixpacks' are updated (seems like the Thief 1 one already is).

And remember... the best part of thief is the fan missions (not fan mission campaigns mostly, but individual high quality ones)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom