Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From out of nowhere, new enhanced versions(!) of Thief 2 and System Shock 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question: I've used Creative Alchemy up until now to get 3D sound from these games.

Apparently this is no longer required, yet when I delete dsound.dll and dsound.ini from Thief's directory, I can no longer enable EAX in the game options (but can still enable "hardware audio"). Does that mean it's using OpenAL?
If you click on hardware audio again it will change to oppenal at least in Thief 1. I'm pretty sure settings it to on doesn't actually work in Win7. When you load a level it reverts to off. I have an Asks Sonar though, which adds more complexity to the situation.

:bro: Very cool.

I had a problem after switching to Win 7 where even with Creative Alchemy I couldn't get EAX to work in Thief Gold. It does work with it now. And no more need for single core fix. Yay. Fucking GOTY. Perfect time to run through all Thief games and replay SS2 later too. Thank you mysterious modder.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Thank you mysterious modder.

ZyEs3.gif

Hey you're welcome.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Question: I've used Creative Alchemy up until now to get 3D sound from these games.

Apparently this is no longer required, yet when I delete dsound.dll and dsound.ini from Thief's directory, I can no longer enable EAX in the game options (but can still enable "hardware audio"). Does that mean it's using OpenAL?
I think this might be broken. I've noticed that the reverbs etc. do not apply when using OpenAL and I cannot enable EAX when this setting is turned on. The logs indicate things are working but I don't think the effects are actually being used.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It works with my soundcard (Recon3D), that is both OpenAL and EAX effects.

Make sure to have the latest OpenAL libraries installed.
I have a Creative X-Fi with the latest drivers - I believe they include OpenAL, and might be newer than the ones publicly available on the Creative site. I'll try installing the "latest" ones from 2009 when I get home... unless there are other OpenAL drivers I don't know about?

Twinkle

Liturgist

If you click on hardware audio again it will change to oppenal, at least in Thief 1. I'm pretty sure setting it to on doesn't actually work in Win7. When you load a level it reverts to off. I have an Asus Xonar though, which adds more complexity to the situation.

You and any other Xonar owner on this board should check this (it's safe to click i promise lol): http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/. Modded drivers have the latest OpenAL and stuff patched in by default.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Don't use those from the Creative site, they're a bit outdated. I think OAL 2.1 are the latest ones.
Tried installing them. EAX effects (occlusion and reverb/echo) do not work. EAX itself appears greyed out, though I'm not sure if that is intended. dsoundlog.txt says "Failed to init OpenAL."

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't use those from the Creative site, they're a bit outdated. I think OAL 2.1 are the latest ones.
Tried installing them. EAX effects (occlusion and reverb/echo) do not work. EAX itself appears greyed out, though I'm not sure if that is intended. dsoundlog.txt says "Failed to init OpenAL."
From the main menu, I can set any different audio settings I want. However, once the game has actually been started, if I had hardware acceleration set to "on", it turns itself to off and EAX is greyed out. Also, I can't change hardware acceleration or number of audio channels once the game has started. With hardware acceleration set to "OpenAL" I can turn EAX on and off once the game has started. I haven't bothered with hardware acceleration set to "off" since I got it working this way.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
From the main menu, I can set any different audio settings I want. However, once the game has actually been started, if I had hardware acceleration set to "on", it turns itself to off and EAX is greyed out. Also, I can't change hardware acceleration or number of audio channels once the game has started. With hardware acceleration set to "OpenAL" I can turn EAX on and off once the game has started. I haven't bothered with hardware acceleration set to "off" since I got it working this way.
Yeah, that doesn't work for me. It's greyed out with OpenAL enabled both on the main menu and after loading up a level.

EDIT: thief.log gives me this:

: OpenAL Init...
: OpenAL32.dll: 6.14.357.25
: wrap_oal.dll: 2.2.0.7
: Default device: SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
: Enumerating devices without validation...
: Device: SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
: Device: Generic Software
: found 2 unvalidated device(s)
: Opening user defined OpenAL device "SB X-Fi Audio [0001]"...
: Device 0 (default)
: name : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
: version : 1.1
: version str: OpenAL version 1.1
: vendor : Creative Labs Inc.
: renderer : SB X-Fi Audio [0001]
: 3D sources : 112
: 2D sources : 8
: EFX : 1
: EAX2 : 1
: EAX3 : 1
: EAX4 : 0
: EAX5 : 0
: occlusion : 1
: XRAM : 1
: Opened device 'SB X-Fi Audio [0001]'
: EAX reverb support enabled
: occlusion support enabled
I don't think it's working for one reason or another, if only because I can't hear the effects at all.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Creative having forums and providing support to customers is the first giveaway, faggots.
Brings back memories of the time when uninstalling Creative drivers made my operating system unbootable, and their tech support told me to "try again"... those were the days. :cry:

Also, I figured out that the issue was Game Mode not being turned on on my X-Fi (it occurred to me that the "Hardware OpenAL" feature in other games is an EAX5 or whatever feature which requires Game Mode). Unfortunately I still do not really hear much in the way of EAX effects, so if they are actually working then they are implemented very differently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom