Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frozen Synapse 2 - phase-based tactical combat in an open world

Destroid

Arcane
I really like the concept (I've wanted to make a game with this concept myself) but I have a hard time getting into the phased instead of turn based tactics.

Quigs

Magister
Wasn't interested until I saw the callback to Apocalypse. That game has so much untapped potential.

Cortex was kinda fun.

Kea

Novice
This man's accent is too powerful.

Game sounds great though.

ColCol

Arcane
As another side note it looks like the game will have something approaching a Mordheim-esque multiplayer campaign mode many people hunger for.

Last edited:

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Did they finally change it so that if two units shoot each other with equal odds the winner isn't randomly chosen, but rather both units are killed instead?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.pcgamesn.com/frozen-synapse-2/frozen-synapse-2-dev-diary-factions-deployments-transitions

Frozen Synapse 2's factions are based on Alpha Centauri's, will react to third-party events

Turn-based strategy game Frozen Synapse 2 is shaping up nicely, according to a new developer diary posted by designer and programmer Ian Hardingham. Hardingham shows off a cool level transition effect, a faction system based on that of Alpha Centauri (excellent choice of inspiration), gives deployment orders to his agents and answers some fan questions.

The original Frozen Synapse was a simultaneous turn-based strategy game, in which you gave orders to a squad of agents before executing them at the same time as your opponents acted. With a neon-drenched Tron-like aesthetic, you battled opponents in multiplayer or AI across a near-future city in the single-player campaign.

Developers Mode 7 are refining and extending the game for the sequel. During the new video, Hardingham shows off the near-seamless transitions from the slick new city map down to the building level where missions will take place. There are no hard cuts on the screen, and the layout of the building in the mission is consistent with its zoomed-out view at city level.

Next, Hardingham shows the deployment orders you are able to give to your units, both when attacking and defending. These include giving patrol orders to a squad protecting his HQ, so they can detect surprise attacks, and ordering a strike team to set up a checkpoint at a road junction. These will apparently be crucial as you look to control the flow of traffic around the city, which will enable you to decide who gets to the game’s incursions and other missions first.

Factions are also briefly shown off, with Hardingham saying “faction interactions and conversations are very much based on Alpha Centauri… I loved how the other faction leaders felt like characters.” Your rivals in Frozen Synapse 2 will have varying moods (e.g. irritated and frustrated), which will affect their decisions and even their tone when speaking to you. They will also discuss recent in-game events, such as what they’ve done to you, what you’ve done to them, and even what other factions have done to one another. After simulating an attack on the ‘Guest’ faction, Hardingham not only shows their leader changing her tone and referencing the attack, but he then calls another faction, who also mention the attack.

There’s plenty more worth hearing in the video, including Hardingham’s answers to some reader questions.

You can learn more about Frozen Synapse 2 on Steam. It’s due for release sometime in 2017.

ushas

Savant
Quick Dev Video with Paul #1 - #5

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom