Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

Lightknight

Liturgist
https://subsetgames.com/ftl.html

https://af.gog.com/game/faster_than_light?as=1649904300

http://www.ftlgame.com/

FTL is a spaceship simulation with rogue-like elements.

You manage the Kestrel and its crew as you explore the galaxy. Strategic, real-time combat involves managing power between essential systems and choosing which enemy systems to target. Meanwhile, you control your crew to keep the ship functioning and fight off intruders. The combat is difficult but, being a “roguelike-like” game, frequent permadeath is at the core of the experience.

ftl_ss4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroid

Arcane
So is it good? It's not available for download at the moment and you have just copy pasted some stuff from the website.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I have the terrible feeling that this is going to be some kind of time management combat clickfest in space

you know, instead of serving customers you manage reactor leaks and recharge guns

you're welcome

Lightknight

Liturgist
instead of serving customers you manage reactor leaks and recharge guns
But with permadeath. Huh. Well, if you think about it - Pong is a time management game.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Lightknight said:
But with permadeath. Huh. Well, if you think about it - Pong is a time management game.

I don't know about that, but I also have to add that 'simulation' is quite a loosely applied term for indies

http://www.tigsource.com/category/sim/
http://jayisgames.com/tag/simulation/

I can see it already. You start out with a small ship, easy to manage. Later on bigger ships, more squares to click. Click click click. Compelling and engaging.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I can see it already. You start out with a small ship, easy to manage. Later on bigger ships, more squares to click. Click click click.
Very likely to be so.
Counter example. Elite 2. You start with a small ship, easy to manage. Later on bigger ships, more goods to buy, more pirates to fend off. Click click click.

Norfleet

Looks fake. I don't see an actual game, "screenshots" look fabricated in MSPAINT, like some sort of weak cry for attention, "Look, I can pretend to be a game developer, but neither sell nor have a game!". You can't buy it, you can't download it, THERE IS NO GAME. FAKE.

Lightknight

Liturgist
There's a video on the page there, you know. So at the very least we know it exist.

Norfleet

Lightknight said:
There's a video on the page there, you know. So at the very least we know it exist.
You know there's an entire industry dedicated to making videos of things that didn't actually happen, right? This particular one doesn't even look particularly well-produced, like it was thrown together in Windoze Movie Maker.

I point to the continuining nonexistence of any actual GAME...or even a store attempting to SELL the game.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I know of trailers of games that failed to get produced, but i've never heard of a trailer of a game that was not INTENDED to be produced. Setting obvious jokes and parody videos aside, of course.

Norfleet

The majority of games that were intended to be produced were not, in fact, produced. This doesn't prove anything.

Mortmal

Arcane
Since i recently read about someone wanting good unknow hidden indie gems, i think i managed to find one:
http://www.ftlgame.com/
Strange they named it ftl, it reminds me a bit of sundog graphics!

I think its something worth checking from time to time since they release mid 2012, pc, mac and linux ,yes linux!

MisterStone

Arcane
Hmm....

"A Spaceship simulation" :thumbsup:

"real-time" :rage:

"roguelike" :yeah:

So correct me if I misunderstand what's going on in that vid- the ship gets attacked, and your little dudes rush about inside the ship to put out fires and patch things up?

Looks good, sounds like it should be pretty interesting.... I hope it turns out well!

By any chance do they have a live beta type thing going on?

Omicron

Scholar
Looks nice though the music in the video seems sort of weird. It doesn't really seems like a 'FFUUU- spaceship is gonna blow up if I don't repair this but then that etc.' but more a 'my first spaceship tune'.

But maybe that's just me.

'
Looks nice though the music in the video seems sort of weird. It doesn't really seems like a 'FFUUU- spaceship is gonna blow up if I don't repair this but then that etc.' but more a 'my first spaceship tune'.

But maybe that's just me.

If you watch he's fighting 5 completely different ships in the video, its skipping around to a lot of different things. Probably just background music that was selected.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmmmmmmmm....

I don't know, looks like it could get kinda old quickly. Star Drive and Star Farer looks better at first glance. Time will tell though. What sparked this sudden ALL ABOARD TEH SPACESHIP mentality anyway? Suddenly these games are everywhere. Not that I particularly mind that fact.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
is this freeware

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom