Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition

bataille

Arcane
Now consider playing captain's edition.
http://ftl-captains-edition.wikia.com/wiki/FTL:_Captain's_Edition_Wiki
While I haven't played it enough (maybe 2-3 hours) to make these kinds of judgments, but I'd say it offers more unpredictable and grievous battles (i.e. fights are more likely to be deadly; I stopped seeing enemy ships as mere blows to long-term resources pretty quickly), and more variety at quiet times. If you ask me, it's a very nice change of pace compared to how things were in the original game (which handled difficulty rather oddly: higher settings just made the game more of an endurance challenge rather than upping immediate threats, or so it felt).

Well, I guess I might as well play an hour or two of it myself.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Conglaturations! :)

97e32cd38ed4b4a6e6fb82f151f28355.gif

Leechmonger

Arbiter
It's only hard mode with certain ships that's bullshit. Normal is pretty easy, so is hard with the good ships. But the cloaking ship on hard, for example, is pure RNG.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
It's only hard mode with certain ships that's bullshit. Normal is pretty easy, so is hard with the good ships. But the cloaking ship on hard, for example, is pure RNG.
I can get through the whole game reliably on easy or normal, but the mothership fucks me every time. I only managed to beat it when I did because I lucked into having the EXACT right weapons all drop (Flak I, Heavy Laser I, Burst Laser II, in addition to the Heavy Crystal that I started with) as well as a weapon pre-igniter. I had a pretty easy time with the first and second mothership scenario, but I barely made it through the third scenario--which is the one killed me every single other time. I did have one vacant augment slot (I sold my long range sensors or something in sector 7), and I could see myself having done better if I had filled it with a backup DNA bank since my clone bay got blown up pretty quick in the final scenario.

Arnust

Savant
F99F702C3CBB1703183F5A511289A74259A8E3A2

My favourite ship.

I must have around 150 hours yet I've beaten it like 6-8 times. For listening to podcast and being chill, that's how you choke your crew accidentally.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I’ve been hooked on this like crack for the last week. Managed to beat the final boss twice and unlock several ships, for now everything on easy though.

Can’t believe this has been out since 2012 and I only discovered it now. I always thought this was some kind of arcade side-scrolling shooter in space.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Planning my next run with the Lanius A now, so the B variant should be next to unlock! So far my favourite is the Kestrel B and the federation Cruiser A. I like the idea behind the Engi A, but hadn’t much success playing it. I think I‘m overspending trying to upgrade both weapons and drone system and always out of scrap as a result.

warci

Educated
thanks for mentioning the captain's edition... damn I missed this game so much! Played the original to death though, because I was a kickstarter backer. Come to think of it, it was my first kickstarter as a backer, and it was so bloody exciting with all the cool games coming and..... oh... seems the first one was still the only game worth making :(

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I've tried a lot of these knockoffs but none of them clicked with me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom