Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fundraising $5000 for a Codex shrine in Wasteland 2

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Gave my 20 to future server upgrades. :p

I don't need a digital copy, I already pledged 100 for the nice box.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I don't see the problem:
Want nothing more than a statue and perhaps something subtle (eg "banal, shit, boring" smeared on some wall with faeces) then suggest that, FFS.
So far it looks as as if the 30 digital copies that come with the 5k donation might be more than enough anyway. If not, it looks like the codex will be donating significantly more than 5k, so I don't see asking for more copies (if it even comes to that) as begging. We're giving them money, FFS. (But I have to agree that asking for specific content that inXile don not want to implement and trying to use donations as leverage is a stupid idea. I'm looking at you CB.)
As for CB's nagging: Do you guys have any experience with women? Just ignore it and think of boobs.
Let the kids be enthusiastic about their game. It'll die down soon enough and we'll be back to our old grumpiness. Cherish it while it lasts.

Most of the stuff that has been suggested up to now seems stupid/too over-the-top to me, too. But they are mere suggestions. We still have a month (actually more) to decide what we like and how we'll broach the subject with Fargo. Instead of saying what you think we should do and offering constructive criticism/suggestions you whine and try to emotionally blackmail like the most faggy Watchers...
I am disappoint.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But I have to agree that asking for specific content that inXile don not want to implement and trying to use donations as leverage is a stupid idea. I'm looking at you CB.

Hey I'm not doing anything like that. My only concern currently is whether we get a shrine or a statue, and if the former, then what a shrine is exactly. I wouldn't mind an additional NPC or book or weapon too *if* we collect enough money for that, but that's a separate thing.

Achilles

Arcane
I see this Codex initiative as a way to drum up interest in the game and get people to financially support it. If a Codex statue/shrine entices more people to donate and support the cause (which is the adequate funding of Wasteland 2) then so be it. I didn't donate to the Codex because I've already given my money directly through Kickstarter and in my mind it's the same thing. Let's not lose focus here people, our goal is to help make Wasteland 2 as good as it can possibly be, not fill the game world with "insider jokes".

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
A bunch of whiners.
OK.

Really? Why?

Ugh, okay. What follows is just my opinion, of course.

1. "Then if this is going to be subtle, why all the fuss about this?"

This makes no sense. There can be no fuss about anything subtle? There can be no fuss about easter eggs? What exactly are you trying to say there?
I didn't explain properly. What I wanted to convey is that if the statue/shrine/whatever is going to be something subtle, why all this excitement is warranted? It's just a nice but ultimately superficial nod to the Codex. It seems that there's a lot of effort (fuss) for something that at the end is not going to make a better game (gameplay wise), and au contraire, could become detrimental (think all the pop references in FO2). It's just a fucking statue! FFS!

Subtle is not the right word. I wanted to use the same words from your previous post, to give my message, but ultimately failed. I meant to say that something not so significant like a statue or shrine, doesn't warrant this big effort. Just my opinion.

I can, however, explain why I think there should be fuss about it. Because it's cool. Like, übercool. Feel free to disagree, but what do I care? To me, developers' rooms are one of the best things in older cRPGs, and this is basically the same.
Do you mean a hidden room? While I agree that is cool, is something that when you play, you smile, nod, and continue playing. I'm surprised that someone considers this as one of the best things in older cRPGs, but to each its own, I guess.

Also, you mean we should only be excited about if it's not subtle? But then, as curry pointed out, that would ruin the game.
You are just clinging with the semantic, I made a mistake. See my first answer. And no, I don't want something... uhm... unsubtle.

What I want is a separate Codex location (= shrine), not just a troll statue -- Fargo was generous enough to say we would get the shrine even below $10k, so the more money we collect, the likelier the chance he won't back down. I'm okay with just a statue *if* a shrine doesn't work out, but as I said, the more expansive our in-game presence, the better -- at least in my opinion.
But why? Just because it's cool? And what if the shrine doesn't make sense ingame? The bigger this thing is, the more difficult will be to justify it. The 'Dex is not the only one that will get a location, NPC, or statue. Just imagine all the retarded ideas all those that got the 5K an 10K tiers will have. And we will contribute to this? Isn't the Codex supposed to fight against the decline? Or what idea do you have for the in-game presence?

It's business: the more money, the higher the influence.

To me, this is the one and only time I can recall that the fuss is actually justified!!
I disagree. It's not justified because is something that couldn't benefit the game in the things that are supposed to matter: story, mechanics, choices and consequences, etc. It's just a cosmetic thing. I reiterate my stance, the smaller, the subtler the more seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game is this, the better.

2. "like a screaming teenager, pestering everybody about how they must donate for the cause"
I apologize for the rudeness. But I just find this thing really annoying.

[...] The others may freely ignore me if they disagree, but it's my right to pester whoever I want. This is the Codex FFS, we've been doing nothing but pestering others for 10 years already. If it bothers you that much, just add me to your ignore list; that's what it's for.
:roll: OK.

And I've always been behaving like a teenager. Sorry you never noticed before. I *do* firmly believe, however, that everyone who can *should* donate at least something to the cause.
Because it's cool?

3. "And that thread with the ridiculous suggestions it's just facepalm inducing."

Except there are some good suggestions in there. I'm glad there is enthusiasm for things and ideas to be added to the game. I like the bunker idea and a few others too.
Well if something like an optional dungeon or playable small location is in, I would agree. But I don't think that there's enough money for this, nor that the developers would accept.

4. "But it has become --I think-- in the biggest circle jerk on the Codex. "

Which is a good thing. Again, I'm glad there is *this* kind of fuss on the Codex, and not just in the ME3 thread. Finally something actually worthy of a circlejerk. If you want to whine, whine about everyone playing Mass Effect.
Again, is a nice thing just because you think is cool? That's your justification?

5. "Also... pestering negotiating with Brian Fargo? I thought that most Codexers giving money for the... uhm.. whatever thingie is going to be in the final game, already pledged to the Kickstarter Ponzi scheme fund."

Some did, some didn't. We're trying to make it so that everyone who didn't donate to Kickstarter directly would receive his copy through the Codex. That means the end number isn't set, but we'll sort it out when time comes and tell Fargo the exact number.
Yeah. Contribute to the decline of RPGs. Where are the choices and consequences? That's a though decision for a Codexer: to donate to KS or to the Codex. They should make their choice, and stick with the consequence. What is this next-gen, handholding shit of rewarding both decisions? Not all the perks and loot should be available to both branches. We are just like Bioware.

I'm very excited, and so should you be. So should everyone be! It's Wasteland motherfucking TWO! If you aren't excited, the problem is you.
I'm exited about Wasteland 2! What I find idiotic is this fascination with the statue and shrine. There has been more excitement about this, than to the game itself and the success of the Kickstarter!

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I don't see the problem:
Want nothing more than a statue and perhaps something subtle (eg "banal, shit, boring" smeared on some wall with faeces) then suggest that, FFS.
But it's going to be ignored. CB want the bigger shrine, and it's pestering for it.

[...]We're giving them money, FFS. (But I have to agree that asking for specific content that inXile don not want to implement and trying to use donations as leverage is a stupid idea. I'm looking at you CB.)
I agree. This could backfire, actually.

Fucking faggots and turd lickers, the decline of codex. Even when something great is happening it bothers them.

Fuck off you pathetic morons and your pathetic shitty emotional blackmailing attempts.

Human turds. Retards. Your fucking worse then bioware and bethesda fanboys together.
:lol: Hiver always delivers.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:)

I reiterate my stance, the smaller, the subtler the more seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game is this, the better.

Well, I agree... I mean, I stated multiple times that I want it to be subtly integrated into the game.

Where we part ways, however, is that I'd rather have a shrine than a statue. That doesn't mean a shrine shouldn't be just as seamlessly integrated. Having introduced 16 (!) shrine slots, I'm sure they've already thought about that.

Because it's cool?

Uh, yes? Because it's cool!

I mean, you said "in my opinion, this fuss sucks". Well, I say that, in my opinion, this fuss is cool!

Where did you get the idea I'm *more* fascinated with the shrine than the game, though, I do not know. The shrine < the game => (my fascination with the shrine) < (my fascination with the game). So yes, you can only imagine how fascinated I must be with the game. I'm jumping with joy right now!

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Kosmonaut don't be such a killjoy. As HHR said: If it makes her happy, who cares what it cost?

Yeah. I think I overdid with that. Sorry. But this is just mutating from "What the Codex wants in Wasteland 2" to "What Crooked Bee wants in Wasteland 2". I just want a worn, hidden Codex troll statue with a subtle message. :cry:

Crooked Bee

Patron
But this is just mutating from "What the Codex wants in Wasteland 2" to "What Crooked Bee wants in Wasteland 2".

What? So if I'm campaigning for a higher tier that means I get to introduce whatever I want into the game? Does that even makes sense? Should it rather be "What Kosmonaut wants in W2?" Or is Kosmonaut = the Codex?

For now, let's just see what we get, a statue or a shrine. Let's see what we have to work with before we jump to conclusions. After that, *you*, the fucking W2 fans, will get to decide *what* exactly it will be. /brian fargo mode

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Does that even makes sense? Should it rather be "What Kosmonaut wants in W2?" Or is Kosmonaut = the Codex?

:roll:

Anyways, Ed you are right. In retrospective I think that I'm just overreacting, killing all the fun of the Second Life fans paying big bucks for those expensive furniture DLCs hardcore RPG fans wanting a presence in this oldschool game.

I'm gone. Sorry for the fuss. Please have fun my friends.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Final confirmation received. This is now 100% official: MCA himself will draw a personal troll for whoever donates >$250 as long as the Codex donation campaign runs!

DTUuI.png

:love:

He already has 7 trolls to draw, by the way. :)

Now you can donate towards Wasteland 2 itself, RPGCodex thingie in there (whatever it might end up being) AND a personal troll at the same time!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yep, you were complaining I was swaying the Codex (lolwut?) simply because, in your opinion, what I want isn't what you want.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Final confirmation received. This is now 100% official: MCA himself will draw a personal troll for whoever donates >$250 as long as the Codex donation campaign runs!

DTUuI.png

:love:

He already has 7 trolls to draw, by the way. :)

Now you can donate towards Wasteland 2 itself, RPGCodex thingie in there (whatever it might end up being) AND a personal troll at the same time!
:yeah: triple the value of my jgolds. will rush home to peypal.

hiver

MCA... kickstart something any time. Ill cheat government again for you faster then... something really fast!
:bro:

kosmonaut: wonders just dont stop these days...

Crooked Bee

Patron
That's beside the point. The point is, you were complaining I was swaying the Codex (lolwut?) simply because, in your opinion, what I want isn't what you want.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
This thread is now about who's more butthurt: Crooked Bee at Kosmonaut or Kosmonaut at Crooked Bee.

Discuss.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
[...] in your opinion, what I want isn't what you want.

And it is? Aren't you the one pushing for getting a Codex shrine?
Dude, if you want to blame someone, blame me, because, after all, I started this thread. Bee and DU just liked the idea and rolled with it. Your whole bitching crusade today is pointless anyway because, if you don't like the idea, you're free to not contribute.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
That's besides the point :crookedbee:

Anyways, I contributed to the cause.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom