Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fundraising $5000 for a Codex shrine in Wasteland 2

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
frankly I think the fact that codexers voted with their wallets in a true sense of the word and supported wasteland 2 with 7k+ honest rpg making dollers is already a very nice thing in and of itself

along the same lines I think it would be nice if the codex cameo adds more or less seamlessly to the gameworld itself and made it better content wise on top of that

custom area with something for the player to do maybe, something that says this was added not just because we paid for it and want it to be about us as was promised but also it's an addon that wouldn't annoy us at least if we weren't from the codex and just want to play a good rpg, love on top of love

think of it as a tiny tattoo on the game you want to feel positively about a decade later

videogames, serious business

hiver

along the same lines I think it would be nice if the codex cameo adds more or less seamlessly to the gameworld itself and made it better content wise on top of that

custom area with something for the player to do maybe, something that says this was added not just because we paid for it and want it to be about us as was promised but also it's an addon that wouldn't annoy us at least if we weren't from the codex and just want to play a good rpg, love on top of love

If nothing else, i think this should be taken into account too.

Gregz

Arcane
frankly I think the fact that codexers voted with their wallets in a true sense of the word and supported wasteland 2 with 7k+ honest rpg making dollers is already a very nice thing in and of itself

think of it as a tiny tattoo on the game you want to feel positively about a decade later

Nice to see you back.

:bro:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Hey, welcome back meltdown! Thought you were lost to the warp or something.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Think MCA can draw a Mexican troll? I need proof before I up my donation.

2SKa1.png

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Thought on this a little more. It's no surprise that we're having trouble agreeing on what we should do, but it's still early and we have enough creative people on the forums to make it good in the end.
Then I started considering the others funding this as well. Let's see how the kickstarter rewards are doing:

100 npcs all sold out (what are the fucking chances most of them will be heavily armed)
3 artifacts(says a lot about projected ego versus an item that references you at best)
7 statues
10 shrines

Now as skyway might say, that is 120 confirmed instances of banality by his reckoning and I'm sure we all make frowny faces at the kind of wank the other 116 are going to add to the game unless they are our cool forum buddies and there are no forum buddies with the codex.
In other words if we seasoned observers of the gaming community are going to sneer at the stupid shit they'll all make Brian Fargo add to the first turn based apocalypse game in 14 years, we should take the higher ground first and set an example or at least not look quite as bad.

Which now leads into my point:
1) The multifaceted spirit of Codexia should be manifest in our choice of creations here, certainly
2) The multifaceted memes of Codexia should not, unless they would be comprehensible on their own to a normally brained turn based gamer bro and if possible not completely wear out their welcome after the 2nd playthrough. this probably needs a useful or interesting function to the area/items/mobs
3) No internet names, perhaps normal names if they fit in, but individual personalities or quirks should be fine until they violate rule 2, which probably rules out quite a bit
4) The money is going straight to the people making Wasteland 2 anyway so the most important part is already done here.

Here is my gloriously shitty example of implementation

Wasteland PC: Is this some kind of cult?
"It's not a cult, it's a klub. The Kool Kids Klub."

WPC: Why the Ks? I don't know why, but I can hear them in your voice.
"K has more edges than the letter C. That's just part of being kool, friend!"

WPC: I'm not sure what your club's about here...I mean, everyone says different things. In fact, I see two arguments going on right now.
"That's the kool thing about our klub, you don't need to believe everything the others do here and still stay. You still need to be kool though!"

WPC: Then why did the guy left earlier? He told me you were all hypocrites.
"Oh nevermind him, he's left us seven times already, each time disagreeing with different people. And that's a kool thing."

awww yeah taste that warped caricature

-With low int/wis-
(You read from the Codex of Innovations Past. You simply cannot believe the stupid stuff these dumbasses had to do to have fun all those years ago. Wow. You chuckle and close the book.)

-With moderate int/wis-
(You read from the Codex of Innovations Past. Barely ten pages in, you are stunned. How could everything have gone so wrong? Greed, stupidity, human nature...it was supposed to be better than this. A bright and shining future, lost. intelligence and perception raised slightly, but charisma decreased due to fouled worldview)

-With very high int/wis-
(You read from the Codex of Innovations Past. Some things were lost, some were gained, and that's the way of the world. Nothing is permanent. Not even you. You sigh and close the book.)

no I don't know about wasteland stats forgives me k

Honestly though I kinda wish Brian Fargo would have done the higher kickstarter rewards differently. Say, at 5000 bucks, you get eligible for 'Area sponsorship' and when they're ready with the design docs and brainstorming the WL team will send you/your community a list of additional possibles to the main gameworld to back with your money, and then work with you from there onwards on fleshing it out if you really think you have red hot ideas, or you can just let them take it from there. With a small stipulation that they reserve the right to overrule anything completely out of place like BTE style funs.

eg. Wasteland 2 gets a cannibal gigolo den with attached quest and in the credits you see special thanks: rpgcodex.net for sponsoring - Cannibal Gigolo area, and perhaps below that gamebanshee.com for sponsoring - Anachronistic Joust area

So yeah if nothing else, at least our fair codex will not be part of the "I can't believe they let them add this circlejerk bullshit in, I guess money speaks loudest no matter the game" wasteland 2 purity ruined threads and "wow, the geniuses at XXX place sure spent their money well lolololololol rpg gamers" that will invariably be created after the game is released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom