Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game like XCOM I missed

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why has nobody mentioned 'Battle Brothers' yet? Play 'Battle Brothers'.

Keep 'Fort Triumph' on your wishlist, it's questionable if it ever becomes a worthwhile, finished product, but it's as close to 'Nu-X-Com' as you can get, in a medieval Fantasy setting.

Was 'Stellar Tactics' mentioned? It's still in EA, but very promising.

Mazisky

Magister
Since Battle brothers was mentioned, i suggest King Bounty (The legend or Armored princess). The game is very cheap on steam and it offer hundreds of hours, i had a lot of fun with it.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
If Piratez is not of your liking, X-Files is algo good IMO.

For Xenonaughts? I really liked that mod. Its a shame they have passive chardev though. I didn't look too hard but it seems they are keeping passive chardev for Xenonaughts 2 too. To me, the classes/lite-chardev was the biggest improvement nuXCom made over the orginals

Why has nobody mentioned 'Battle Brothers' yet? Play 'Battle Brothers'.

Keep 'Fort Triumph' on your wishlist, it's questionable if it ever becomes a worthwhile, finished product, but it's as close to 'Nu-X-Com' as you can get, in a medieval Fantasy setting.

Was 'Stellar Tactics' mentioned? It's still in EA, but very promising.

I was looking for a game for time off work I had. This is my last day. But thanks you for the recommendations.

I can't stand Battle Brothers. It is rpg-lite, has disposable units, bad itemization, and no real content. Just get a contract, go fight a simple, easy battle, go back, rinse, repeat. I don't understand how or why people liked that or Darkest Dungeon. Two overly simple, extremely rpg lite games focusing on disposable units and simple combat. I just don't get it.

Since Battle brothers was mentioned, i suggest King Bounty (The legend or Armored princess). The game is very cheap on steam and it offer hundreds of hours, i had a lot of fun with it.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Roqua

Prospernaut
[Perception] So what you really want is an RPG.

Or, like I asked about, an XCom like game that slipped under the radar like Shock tactics. Which wasn't a bad game. I wonder why no one likes it? I bet if I didn't mention it no one else would have either, which makes me think there are games like it - but people forgot about them so can't recommend them. A catch-22 that makes it hard to get the information I need.

I did try X-Piratez. Its good, but I really wish there was mouse-over information. I'm too old to remember the differences between a cutlass and saber in time to go to the equipment screen and equip the right people with the right items.

Roqua

Prospernaut
This just came out and looks pretty decent - too bad it didn't come out last week when I could have really used it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906170/Metal_Brigade_Tactics/

Metal Brigade Tactics

About This Game
Metal Brigade Tactics is a turn-based tactical strategy game with deep RPG elements. Control your squad of Vertical Armor giant robots on a mission to stop a small country from embroiling the world in a devastating war.

Featuring a long campaign as well as a skirmish mode, Metal Brigade Tactics will satiate any strategy gamer's hunger.

The Steam version includes a bonus mini campaign with 5 extra missions and 2 new units for use in skirmish mode.

Features include:

* Grid-based tactical turn based strategy engine.
* Unique artillery gameplay - artillery is plotted before each turn but lands after, requiring careful planning and strategy.
* 13 unique Vertical Armor (VA) robots to control and customize plus 2 more non-VA units usable in skirmish mode.
* Tons of weapons and accessories to equip on your Vertical Armor.
* Control up to 10 VAs per mission.
* Story-based Campaign mode with 19 exciting missions plus a bonus mini campaign with 5 additional missions.
* 3 difficulty modes in Campaign, hard mode is a real challenge for expert tactics players!
* Level up and customize your pilots throughout the Campaign mode.
* Skirmish mode where you can fully customize a team of VAs and play against the AI or another player's team on a variety of maps.
* 2 player hot seat play in Skirmish mode.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been on the fence for Shock Tactics. How does it compare to its competition?
Codex Review when?
Metal Brigade Tactics features unlimited reaction fire? This makes it pretty different from XCOM, and more like Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
For Xenonaughts?

No. X-Files is a mod for regular UFO: Enemy Unknown/classic XCOM.

Just FYI - it was also a big mod for Xenonaughts too. Or something with a very similar name. A great mod too.
I've been on the fence for Shock Tactics. How does it compare to its competition?
Codex Review when?
Metal Brigade Tactics features unlimited reaction fire? This makes it pretty different from XCOM, and more like Fire Emblem.

Shock Tactics isn't nearly as good as XCOM, but still pretty good. Base building and chardev is lite. Its about expanding your territory through missions on an alien planet. I enjoyed it for a good while.

Metal Brigade Tactics - I played the first two missions, which were both really short. Its not that good, but not so bad it isn't worth me checking it out. It seems really simple. I can't resize the screen which fills me with nerd rage.

Mustawd

Roqua why do you make a thread about xcom (still not sure if you mean the original x-com or the firaxis reimagining) and then start asking about char creation. Neither old or new game had char creation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Roqua why do you make a thread about xcom (still not sure if you mean the original x-com or the firaxis reimagining) and then start asking about char creation. Neither old or new game had char creation.

Please reference any use of character creation I made to refresh my memory.

Mustawd

that reminds me since it is an openxcom mod, are there any of them that add more rpg elements to character building? The last time I checked a long while ago none of them did.

From the PirateX wiki - I don't see anything about a non-passive chardev system or improved rpg aspects.

Anyone able to answer the question regarding openXcom and if any of the mods improve the character building/rpg element aspects of the game?
I've played everything you mentioned besides Mario Xcom - does it have decent chardev?

I mean I don’t mind char dev in tactics games. I just found it strange that it was a criteria of yours when you started off the thread asking for more games like XCOM.

Roqua

Prospernaut
that reminds me since it is an openxcom mod, are there any of them that add more rpg elements to character building? The last time I checked a long while ago none of them did.

From the PirateX wiki - I don't see anything about a non-passive chardev system or improved rpg aspects.

Anyone able to answer the question regarding openXcom and if any of the mods improve the character building/rpg element aspects of the game?
I've played everything you mentioned besides Mario Xcom - does it have decent chardev?

I mean I don’t mind char dev in tactics games. I just found it strange that it was a criteria of yours when you started off the thread asking for more games like XCOM.

Oh you meant character development - something completely different than character creation. Two separate things that people on this site because they like rpgs should not get confused.

Something the orginal XComs and nuXComs both had. As well as Shock Tactics, Xenonaughts, UFO ET, UFO AS and AL, and every game I mentioned.

Why did I bring that up? Because I prefer XCom-like games that have an advanced system of it that isn't 100% passive.

Why do I prefer that? Why don't you? Its not like this is an rpg site or something. What kind of idiot would I be to want the games I like with rpg elements to have heavier rpg elements? I must be fucking insane.

Mustawd

Oh you meant character development - something completely different than character creation. Two separate things that people on this site because they like rpgs should not get confused.

Ahh gotcha. My brain was reading that as char creation for some reason. Fair enough.

Roqua

Prospernaut

Ahh gotcha. My brain was reading that as char creation for some reason. Fair enough.

I'm always happy to help people understand. You should send messages to the people agreeing to your incorrect nonsense posts telling them they are wrong and possibly retarded.

Mustawd

Why is that my job? You should just ping DU ITT to do it. It’s not my responsibility. This is DU’s site.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've played it a bit.
Unfortunately the game gave every impression of dev team running out of money and time because they tried to compete with nu-XCom on graphics.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Why is that my job? You should just ping DU ITT to do it. It’s not my responsibility. This is DU’s site.

We all got together and decided to promote you. It is now officially your job.

I quit. You’re move.

We re-promoted you to a position that is intrinsic to public safety so you cannot strike and cannot quit without a full months notice. But, you get some decent perks too, like notifying people when they are wrong. Don't you want to be the bearer of truth and justice?

azimuth

Educated
I can't stand Battle Brothers. It is rpg-lite, has disposable units, bad itemization, and no real content. Just get a contract, go fight a simple, easy battle, go back, rinse, repeat. I don't understand how or why people liked that or Darkest Dungeon. Two overly simple, extremely rpg lite games focusing on disposable units and simple combat. I just don't get it.
What in God's name. If you like XCom, BB is the best similar game out there. There's a whole lot going on in BB. First of all, it's really really hard, and anyone calling it easy has 30 minutes in the game on beginner. It's much harder than Darkest Dungeon, for example. The different difficulty settings (economic and battle) are incredibly well-tuned. Second, there are a ton of different enemy and weapon types, including zombies, skeletons, necromancers, vampires, ghosts, wolves, ghouls, mounted goblins, various orcs, unmounted goblins, goblin shamans, dragons, and more. There are also named heroes and unique weapons. The different types of weapons and perk abilities really make combat at least as complex as XCom if not moreso (I'd say it's much more complex than XCom by a mile). Contracts are around 1/3 of the game, the rest being filled out by static areas (like raider hideouts, goblins cities, undead strongholds, etc.) that need to be uncovered by exploration and end-game crises that change the landscape of the world.

How you can enjoy XCom but find Battle Brothers "simple" is beyond me. I don't even think XCom comes close in terms of the complexity of the tactical combat. BB has too many perks, too many weapon types, too many special attack types, too many stats in play.

Roqua

Prospernaut
What in God's name. If you like XCom, BB is the best similar game out there. There's a whole lot going on in BB. First of all, it's really really hard, and anyone calling it easy has 30 minutes in the game on beginner. It's much harder than Darkest Dungeon, for example. The different difficulty settings (economic and battle) are incredibly well-tuned. Second, there are a ton of different enemy and weapon types, including zombies, skeletons, necromancers, vampires, ghosts, wolves, ghouls, mounted goblins, various orcs, unmounted goblins, goblin shamans, dragons, and more. There are also named heroes and unique weapons. The different types of weapons and perk abilities really make combat at least as complex as XCom if not moreso (I'd say it's much more complex than XCom by a mile). Contracts are around 1/3 of the game, the rest being filled out by static areas (like raider hideouts, goblins cities, undead strongholds, etc.) that need to be uncovered by exploration and end-game crises that change the landscape of the world.

How you can enjoy XCom but find Battle Brothers "simple" is beyond me. I don't even think XCom comes close in terms of the complexity of the tactical combat. BB has too many perks, too many weapon types, too many special attack types, too many stats in play.

Battle Brothers is nothing like XCom. The combat was not difficult on whatever the standard settings were. It had a lite rpg system, simple combat, simple itemization, and nothing going on outside of combat. XCom had a ton going on outside of combat missions, and the missions were varied and not just kill everything. I don't know how long I played Battle brothers but it was way longer than the return window, and all their was was boring get a contract go kill X come back, rinse, repeat. It was boring as shit, repetitive as shit, and simple as shit, will shit lite rpg elements. If it added some actual gameplay stuff way later in the game, why would they expect any sane players to chug through all the simple, boring, repetitive stuff to get to it? The answer is - hipsters are fucking morons and will play and love what the hivemind says to play and love.

Around the same time a game called Godfall or something similar came out - I found that to be superior to Battle brothers in every possible way. Why was one popular and the other not? Inexplicable outside of hivemind hipsterism.

Outide of subjective talks on what is good or not lets look at objective criteria-
Did BB have disposable units that, mostly, were unimportant at least for the majority of the first 1/3rd of the game?
Did BB have a complex rpg system that could be considered complex when compared to ToEE or Blackguards 1?
Did BB have combat that can be considered complex compared to ToEE or Blackguards 1 or JA2?
Did BB have any content of traditional rpgs or something/anything to do between simple go kill x and come back like contracts for at least the first 1/3rd of the game?
Did BB have anything like the content of old of new XComs between its simple combats?

I answer no to all those. I think it is objectively true and is based on facts. Of course, people can say it is super complex it its simplicity or other nonsense like they do for Clicker Heroes or other child games.

I don't think the combat in any XCom is great - it is serviceable. I like all the XComs because they have decent combat and so much, much more outside of combat. I like the nuXComs more than the old because I like the active chardev and more complex rpg systems and the single consolidated base with more options, and do not have to care about shipping between bases and place and building new bases, etc.

People can disagree with me, but I think I have objectivity and facts on my side. People can have different taste than me, and I understand that. Most people enjoy simple and hate complex games where gimping characters is possible, or combat requires set-up and thinking and trying. Buts its silly to ask someone that clearly likes complex systems and combat and lots of shit to do outside of combat why the didn't like a simple game made to be understood and played by children.

azimuth

Educated
I don't really have the time to respond to everything you say, but anyone who plays Battle Brothers knows that you just haven't played it much if at all.

For example, the idea that you can't gimp a character in BB is absurd. You level up 3 stats per level and choose 1 of dozens of perks. Every character is unique in terms of starting stats (there are many) and traits / background (which influence stats). Of course some builds are better than others, and there are tons of possible builds. It is more than possible to make trash characters who will not succeed. And this is before you even get down to the different weapon types, in any one of which you can specialize (there are about a dozen? weapon specializations). But anyone who has really played the game knows this.

Anyway, all of this is so obvious and your opinion so weird (it's a game that 3 grognards in a garage made for other grognards, so by no stretch of the imagination is it a casual game) that I'll just move along to a question instead.

I like the nuXComs more than the old because I like the active chardev and more complex rpg systems and the single consolidated base with more options, and do not have to care about shipping between bases and place and building new bases, etc.
Ignoring the funky contradictions in all of your posts (you prefer the dead simplistic air game and base/inventory management of nuXCom??), what do you mean by "active chardev and more complex rpg systems"? It sounds like you're saying you like the cookie-cutter classes, choosing (1 of 2 or 3) perks when you level up, and the relevance of stats like aim, speed, and fatigue...?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom