Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Game releases without any artificial progression system -- gamers are revolted

SpoilVictor

Educated
So they decided to adopt physical CCG model 1:1 - bold move, but I'm not surprised it backfired.

Normally I would support that decision as tacked on systems drive me nuts, especially in FPSs like Battlefield where I can't just pick up weapon I want but I have to farm XP, kills whatever (or even pay to unlock). But for digital CCG it is dumb direction as players were conditioned for years with this external gratification and fake progress mechanics.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
That article is pure PR spin. Trying to make it out like people aren't revolted about their greedy monetisation but by deliberate incline. And I seriously doubt those "flavor enhancers" are missing by choice and not because they weren't ready yet.

And what cromwell said, matchmaking and ranking should be baseline for any "competitive" game. Hiding that ranking because everyone must be a winner is the actual decline.

This. Also the game isn't even that good.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The main problem here is it's a fucking card game. Simplistic and highly luck-based. Strip away the grinding mechanics and you'll see: they've always sucked.
There's skill in card games, but what is the point of trying to get better if there's no feedback to be had over how much better you are getting? I think lots of "hardcore gamers" are way too quick to dismiss rng as the spawn of the devil, when in truth it is a very good tool for increasing the skill cap (obv it can be used poorly, and perhaps it is in artifact).

Especially in games like these were most of the opponents options are hidden (as you don't know what cards he had on hand, so it's really hard to estimate your own skill by noticing your opponents playing better. Mostly it will just feel like your opponents are getting better cards/luck).

And I totally get the complaint about the game not allowing you to play your way into better cards. This sort of "buy 10 packs, make a deck and play" is fine with a group of friends or other locals who are playing the same way, but on the internet you will swiftly be competing solely against people who have bought all the cards they need for their top tier netdeck of choice. It's not pay2win, but it is essentially pay2compete. At least if you can play your way into good cards, have that option.

Tbh, I think ccgs are kind of fundamentally flawed in the modern world, where netdecks and the global card marketplace are constants. Hopefully someone can find a way to make them work.

Generic-Giant-Spider

No shitty crafting, no care.

NEXT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom