Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Gamedec - Definitive Edition - cyberpunk detective RPG set in virtual worlds

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wonder what creative zeitgeist sparked these RPGs without combat systems. The evolution of the walking sim.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And once again a studio launches a Steam page for their game before they even tweet about it. That website is just a placeholder.
What's your point?

It used to be that games didn't even get Steam pages until they were close to release, or sometimes even on the day of release. Now games are being announced by having their Steam pages appear all of a sudden, before there's a press release, a trailer on YouTube, a proper website, or even a tweet. That's funny to me.

If you're interested in a non-related developer answer on this it's because having a steam page:

1. allows for wishlisting, creating a clear CTA for social messaging/marketing

2. creates a placeholder for community building/discussion

3. announces the presence of a new title far better than any social post unless they have a wide reach

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
How is it interesting to you people to play a mod in Farmville, I thought this might be interesting at first glance, hey we're a cyberpunk detective, but wait, in video games where nothing matters, nevermind then

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
How is it interesting to you people to play a mod in Farmville, I thought this might be interesting at first glance, hey we're a cyberpunk detective, but wait, in video games where nothing matters, nevermind then

Hey :) As a Gamedec you can visit a couple of worlds, Harvest Time [like you said - a Farmville type game] is just one of the locations you'll visit. We will share more information about the game very soon. We also provide more knowledge about the lore on Social Media and even brought the author of the books to our Discord, where you can ask him whatever you want about the Gamedec franchise [he wrote a couple of books, so the lore is much bigger than any one of you can expect from these short bits of gameplay and B2B hands-free experiences from Gamescom :)

ntonystinson

Scholar
Wonder what creative zeitgeist sparked these RPGs without combat systems. The evolution of the walking sim.
RPG without combat system > RPG with shitty combat system
I don't know why everyone stresses over combat and then says they are "RPG" fans
There are lots of great action games out there eg Mortal Kombat, Tekken, WWE etc if that's your taste, so I don't get why combat has to be a "pillar" or "core feature" in any RPG. It's because of this we have games spending all their resources on so called "dungeons" and the like that have no connection with the overall game.
Any game that is willing to spend more resources and development time on features that make the world more immersive and create a better "roleplaying" experience is welcome

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know why everyone stresses over combat and then says they are "RPG" fans
There are lots of great action games out there eg Mortal Kombat, Tekken, WWE etc if that's your taste, so I don't get why combat has to be a "pillar" or "core feature" in any RPG. It's because of this we have games spending all their resources on so called "dungeons" and the like that have no connection with the overall game.
Any game that is willing to spend more resources and development time on features that make the world more immersive and create a better "roleplaying" experience is welcome
Role playing games were derived from wargames. Combat should be a means of conflict resolution even if it's not a focus.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
RPG without combat system > RPG with shitty combat system

I would agree with that, except conflict is part of life. There are two things battling against each other always - the time/energy/money developers have (plus their ROI expectations), and the desire to make as complete a world simulation as possible, with perhaps just a particular focus on one area (e.g. detective work, or combat, or crafting, or running businesses, whatever). But the fact that the former always sets limits on the latter shouldn't stop us from wanting the latter as an ideal, and egging developers on to try as hard as they can to implement it.

There are always going to be good games in both styles - there are good games that super-focus on one thing, do it really well, and just ignore or abstract away other aspects of the world simulation, and there are good games that try to simulate a bit of everything to some reasonable level. The former are more likely to be successful in some senses (financially, critically) but gaming would be dull if nobody ever tried the latter.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Role playing games were derived from wargames. Combat should be a means of conflict resolution even if it's not a focus.
I get that but its like as soon as any RPG is announced, the first question is combat: how's it like? Never how reactive are the NPCs and the game world or something like that

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Role playing games were derived from wargames
And evolved into something different and standalone. And since they did - they can be as different from their predecessor as they want.
If they hadn't evolved into something different, they'd be called "just a variation of wargames".

Matt [Anshar Studios]

Anshar Studios
Developer
Is the gamedec predefined or do we create and customise our own character

We want to offer players some customization options; we are not planning on extensive personalization though. But yeah, the ability to visually customize the detective is on the table. What is essential, you will be able to determine the psychological profile of the character and its origin, which will influence the dialogues options and how other characters treat you while talking with you.

ntonystinson

Scholar
Is the gamedec predefined or do we create and customise our own character

We want to offer players some customization options; we are not planning on extensive personalization though. But yeah, the ability to visually customize the detective is on the table. What is essential, you will be able to determine the psychological profile of the character and its origin, which will influence the dialogues options and how other characters treat you while talking with you.
Ok visual customisation is okay. My one gripe with Disco Elysium is that I hate the detective's face

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sorry but this looks disappointing to me. Someone figured out that it can reuse the same engine for different environments and it uses cyberpunk as an justification for doing it.

In the end, the overall experience will be a inconsistent mess because it's hard to believe that all environments or cases will have the same quality.

Maybe this will be the Inception of video games but I have like zero interest in playing games within games.

This is another Seven: The Days Long Gone in the making. Good luck to the devs.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's a bit early for judgment.. It's also based on an existing PnP iirc, so the idea that "Someone figured out that it can reuse the same engine for different environments and it uses cyberpunk as an justification for doing it." seems foolish.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
What's next a cyberpunk game where you can be a mod on rpg codex, set in 2025, do what you've always wanted to do but could never do

Codex Year of the Donut
What's next a cyberpunk game where you can be a mod on rpg codex, set in 2025, do what you've always wanted to do but could never do
Being a mod on the codex is a lot like being a janitor.
We shit all over the floor then yell at the jewish guy to go clean it up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom