Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamedec - cyberpunk detective RPG set in virtual worlds

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Wonder what creative zeitgeist sparked these RPGs without combat systems. The evolution of the walking sim.

• Agree x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    RPG without combat system > RPG with shitty combat system

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • meh x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    So this is what it's come to, DE fanboys are already saying it's better than Fallout, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, VtM: Bloodlines?

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    If you're interested in a non-related developer answer on this it's because having a steam page:

1. allows for wishlisting, creating a clear CTA for social messaging/marketing

2. creates a placeholder for community building/discussion

3. announces the presence of a new title far better than any social post unless they have a wide reach

^ Top  
  6. the mole Educated

the mole
    Combat now interferes with the soy level of the current day codexer

• Funny Funny x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. the mole Educated

the mole
    How is it interesting to you people to play a mod in Farmville, I thought this might be interesting at first glance, hey we're a cyberpunk detective, but wait, in video games where nothing matters, nevermind then

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Planescape: Torment is my sacred cow and I'll fight anybody who places another idol over it.

• Funny x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. grimace Savant

grimace
    Does PC Gamer still print a paper magazine?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    Hey :) As a Gamedec you can visit a couple of worlds, Harvest Time [like you said - a Farmville type game] is just one of the locations you'll visit. We will share more information about the game very soon. We also provide more knowledge about the lore on Social Media and even brought the author of the books to our Discord, where you can ask him whatever you want about the Gamedec franchise [he wrote a couple of books, so the lore is much bigger than any one of you can expect from these short bits of gameplay and B2B hands-free experiences from Gamescom :)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    I don't know why everyone stresses over combat and then says they are "RPG" fans
    There are lots of great action games out there eg Mortal Kombat, Tekken, WWE etc if that's your taste, so I don't get why combat has to be a "pillar" or "core feature" in any RPG. It's because of this we have games spending all their resources on so called "dungeons" and the like that have no connection with the overall game.
    Any game that is willing to spend more resources and development time on features that make the world more immersive and create a better "roleplaying" experience is welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    Is the gamedec predefined or do we create and customise our own character

^ Top  
  13. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Role playing games were derived from wargames. Combat should be a means of conflict resolution even if it's not a focus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. gurugeorge Educated

gurugeorge
    I would agree with that, except conflict is part of life. There are two things battling against each other always - the time/energy/money developers have (plus their ROI expectations), and the desire to make as complete a world simulation as possible, with perhaps just a particular focus on one area (e.g. detective work, or combat, or crafting, or running businesses, whatever). But the fact that the former always sets limits on the latter shouldn't stop us from wanting the latter as an ideal, and egging developers on to try as hard as they can to implement it.

There are always going to be good games in both styles - there are good games that super-focus on one thing, do it really well, and just ignore or abstract away other aspects of the world simulation, and there are good games that try to simulate a bit of everything to some reasonable level. The former are more likely to be successful in some senses (financially, critically) but gaming would be dull if nobody ever tried the latter.

^ Top  
  15. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    I get that but its like as soon as any RPG is announced, the first question is combat: how's it like? Never how reactive are the NPCs and the game world or something like that

^ Top  
  16. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    And evolved into something different and standalone. And since they did - they can be as different from their predecessor as they want.
    If they hadn't evolved into something different, they'd be called "just a variation of wargames".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    We want to offer players some customization options; we are not planning on extensive personalization though. But yeah, the ability to visually customize the detective is on the table. What is essential, you will be able to determine the psychological profile of the character and its origin, which will influence the dialogues options and how other characters treat you while talking with you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    Ok visual customisation is okay. My one gripe with Disco Elysium is that I hate the detective's face

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    Sorry but this looks disappointing to me. Someone figured out that it can reuse the same engine for different environments and it uses cyberpunk as an justification for doing it.

In the end, the overall experience will be a inconsistent mess because it's hard to believe that all environments or cases will have the same quality.

Maybe this will be the Inception of video games but I have like zero interest in playing games within games.

This is another Seven: The Days Long Gone in the making. Good luck to the devs.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I think it's a bit early for judgment.. It's also based on an existing PnP iirc, so the idea that "Someone figured out that it can reuse the same engine for different environments and it uses cyberpunk as an justification for doing it." seems foolish.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. the mole Educated

the mole
    What's next a cyberpunk game where you can be a mod on rpg codex, set in 2025, do what you've always wanted to do but could never do

^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Being a mod on the codex is a lot like being a janitor.
    We shit all over the floor then yell at the jewish guy to go clean it up

^ Top  
  23. ntonystinson Educated

ntonystinson
    Is it though

^ Top  
  24. Darth Canoli Liturgist

Darth Canoli
    So it is one of those ...

Edit : My bad, seems like i'm 2 month late for that joke.

^ Top  
  25. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    It = this opportunity xD

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)