Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

Jason Liang

Arcane
I updated the card gallery, and will start working on English translations soon.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Thanks for keeping up with this Jason Liang. More and more people are coming to this game every day it seems - and I am very happy that I was able to get information on it without having it completely spoiled for me (just finished it. Whew.)

If you have any questions on abilities, feel free to ask, I may be able to help a little (or some other of us creepy lurkers). Some of them are a little confusing.

darkcross852

Literate
a question, how I defeat Silky Littleraisin when he is wearing his armor and has a shield of 700p, I can not do anything to her.

the same with Babolat in the first meeting, I do not know if I need a strategy in concrete
or simply more level to be able to defeat that giant in 5 turns

if you can give me some advice it would be great

:shredder:

Jason Liang

Arcane
For a lot of bosses, especially ones that have to be beaten within a time limit, you must prepare a squad beforehand for that purpose.

For Babolat, the easiest way to defeat him on a 0 CP run (without any new game bonuses) is to do the Free Cities campaign on turn 2 and recruit Lei, and immediately level him up with a meal ticket. Then do Helman on turn 3 to fight Babolat. Since Babolat is weak to lightning, Lei + Mary Ann + Magic will destroy Babolat in 5 rounds very easily. Of course, you still have to figure out how to beat Kesselring after that.
rx_wt_116.png

As you can see, Lei will deal far more damage than any other character you can have on turn 3.
It's advisable to attempt the timed boss fights as early as possible (Helman -> Babolat, Leazas -> La Hawzel, Zeth -> Galtia eating contest) since their HP scales with difficulty, so that actually it becomes impossible to beat them in time on later turns.

However, just like with Red-Eye, if you can't beat the boss the first time, you can continue the mission and fight an easier version of them later. Defeating them the first time does let you try to kill the second demon boss (aka 1-turning), but it's difficult, especially on a 0 CP run. If you want to try it for the challenge, the best advice is to level-up and give meal tickets to your Demon faction cards, since you'll definitely need them- Satella, Lei, Kentaro, La Hawzel/ Silky, and Kesselring if you can get her.

As for Silky, it's very difficult to harm her, especially since even armor-removing abilities like Kibako's bite can't deal enough damage to dispel her armor buff. You pretty much need either Kesselring or Arios to hurt her and both are difficult or impossible to get with 0 CP. Other than that, there's no "trick" to beating her on first encounter- you just have to be able to generate the raw damage. Even going the other route to La Hawzel is a very difficult timed battle. The only difference with Silky is that her HP does not scale, so that she is easier to defeat in later turns (i.e. turn 7 or 8). Leazas is arguably the most difficult country to 1-turn, even with CP bonuses.

Last edited:

darkcross852

Literate
For a lot of bosses, especially ones that have to be beaten within a time limit, you must prepare a squad beforehand for that purpose.

For Babolat, the easiest way to defeat him on a 0 CP run (without any new game bonuses) is to do the Free Cities campaign on turn 2 and recruit Lei, and immediately level him up with a meal ticket. Then do Helman on turn 3 to fight Babolat. Since Babolat is weak to lightning, Lei + Mary Ann + Magic will destroy Babolat in 5 rounds very easily. Of course, you still have to figure out how to beat Kesselring after that.
rx_wt_116.png

As you can see, Lei will deal far more damage than any other character you can have on turn 3.
It's advisable to attempt the timed boss fights as early as possible (Helman -> Babolat, Leazas -> La Hawzel, Zeth -> Galtia eating contest) since their HP scales with difficulty, so that actually it becomes impossible to beat them in time on later turns.

However, just like with Red-Eye, if you can't beat the boss the first time, you can continue the mission and fight an easier version of them later. Defeating them the first time does let you try to kill the second demon boss (aka 1-turning), but it's difficult, especially on a 0 CP run. If you want to try it for the challenge, the best advice is to level-up and give meal tickets to your Demon faction cards, since you'll definitely need them- Satella, Lei, Kentaro, La Hawzel/ Silky, and Kesselring if you can get her.

As for Silky, it's very difficult to harm her, especially since even armor-removing abilities like Kibako's bite can't deal enough damage to dispel her armor buff. You pretty much need either Kesselring or Arios to hurt her and both are difficult or impossible to get with 0 CP. Other than that, there's no "trick" to beating her on first encounter- you just have to be able to generate the raw damage. Even going the other route to La Hawzel is a very difficult timed battle. The only difference with Silky is that her HP does not scale, so that she is easier to defeat in later turns (i.e. turn 7 or 8). Leazas is arguably the most difficult country to 1-turn, even with CP bonuses.

I will honestly have to start a new game and try to get all the possible bonuses, but thank you very much for such an incredible help.

but I have two more questions if it's not too much trouble,

that I win when I complete a mission in the "bonus" part , there is some reward or it is just another challenge?

the other is if this is the option to unlock all the cards that you have obtained in other games?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I will honestly have to start a new game and try to get all the possible bonuses, but thank you very much for such an incredible help.
Having gone back and replayed my old 0 CP saves, I'm convinced that 0 CP is the most enjoyable and balanced way to experience Rance X.

but I have two more questions if it's not too much trouble,

that I win when I complete a mission in the "bonus" part , there is some reward or it is just another challenge?
Not that I know of. It's rumored that the bonus challenges were supposed to unlock "part 3", but was cut.

the other is if this is the option to unlock all the cards that you have obtained in other games?

There's no way to restart the game with all the cards, no. The random card option (last choice) allows you to acquire cards you've acquired before earlier in the game.

Rance4ever!

Literate
Ok this is very frustrating for me but how do you get to the boss fights with the Demon Lords? I read here about the strategy to beat and recruit Lei before fighting Babolat but when I hit the mission for Free Cities I just get a repeatable map and the first miniboss I fight I failed to beat in 4? turns but got sent back instead. Also though I have been fighting the missions, the human pop keeps reducing drastically and I lost some characters killed by Babolat because I couldnt find out which mission fights him.

What set of missions do you need to be able to fight Lei, La Hawzel, and Babolat before their turns are up where they kill characters? I thought I need all 3 chaos swords so I tried it but the mission choice for each region became two missions. Which choice should I choose?

And what is the purpose of all the items that appear? I beat the mantis boss in the tutorial and chose the treasure Mantis Leg but what is the effect of this and other items?

How do you increase the party slot from 4? Is that a new game only?

How exactly do the medals and chaos swords work in increasing party level? I can't choose individual heroes to level so whats the effect of those medals? I find out I cannot work on the sidequests to farm XP and medals without missing the story quests. Is that for after you beat the demon lords Turn 3 and before you fight Kaybliss Turn 6-7?

PS. I love Rance games and am so sad this is the last. I pray to TADA that he would make some kind of "sequel" or child based on other characters in Rance World. Keep that world alive!

Jason Liang

Arcane
Ok this is very frustrating for me but how do you get to the boss fights with the Demon Lords? I read here about the strategy to beat and recruit Lei before fighting Babolat but when I hit the mission for Free Cities I just get a repeatable map and the first miniboss I fight I failed to beat in 4? turns but got sent back instead. Also though I have been fighting the missions, the human pop keeps reducing drastically and I lost some characters killed by Babolat because I couldnt find out which mission fights him.

What set of missions do you need to be able to fight Lei, La Hawzel, and Babolat before their turns are up where they kill characters? I thought I need all 3 chaos swords so I tried it but the mission choice for each region became two missions. Which choice should I choose?

Each typical turn has 3 phases - Preparation Phase (Blue), Operations Phase (Red) and Base Phase (Green). You don't get to choose your missions until the start of Turn 2.

In Preparation Phase (Blue), the standard mission is to do a small map in one of the 4 countries. The main benefit is you add 2 Chaos Swords (aka Veterans) to that country which helps that country at the end of the turn during war resolution.

It's in Operations Phase (Red), that you get the longer missions to fight the Dark Lord (Demon) bosses in each region. Typically you will fight the Demon Boss several times, but even if you lose you can still continue the mission until you get to the end, where you'll be able to fight an easy version of that Dark Lord.

Babolat will (accidentally) crush the Labyrinth of the Gods excavation and kill Ruben and Merim Tser unless you defeat him before the end of turn 3, so you must fight him on either turn 2 or turn 3. If you want Lei to help fight him, you need to do the Free Cities campaign first in Turn 2 Operations Phase (Red), play the long mission all the way to the end, where you defeat Lei (actually you have to beat him twice), and finally you'll be able to recruit him.

The Free Cities campaign also has a tricky part where you need to tell Kanami who the FC traitor is. In that section, you'll have to choose from 3 different people to speak with 3 times consecutively. All you need to do is choose to speak with the traitor. Your other choices do not matter. Then, when you get to the end of the section, choose the Red path, and Rance will tell Kanami that he's figured out who the traitor is - it's one of the the three people he spoke with. Then later, during the big battle, Kanami will keep an eye on those three people and take out the traitor.

And what is the purpose of all the items that appear? I beat the mantis boss in the tutorial and chose the treasure Mantis Leg but what is the effect of this and other items?
Items have special effects and also increase the attack power and hp of the human faction they belong to. Rance faction items (like the Mantis leg and the trophy coins you get from killing the demon bosses) are especially important since the Rance faction has very few characters. Also, sometimes you'll have to fight with only a few characters. In those cases Items are very important since they will make up a large portion of your attack power and hp.

How do you increase the party slot from 4? Is that a new game only?
When you collect 3 Medals from the Chests or Map, you'll automatically cash them in for +1 Army Rank point. Army Rank points can be assigned to give you Army Rank bonuses, including unlocking the 3 other frames (1 point each). You can reassign Army Rank points between battles as you like, so these choices are not permanent and you can reconfigure for specific fights.

How exactly do the medals and chaos swords work in increasing party level? I can't choose individual heroes to level so whats the effect of those medals? I find out I cannot work on the sidequests to farm XP and medals without missing the story quests. Is that for after you beat the demon lords Turn 3 and before you fight Kaybliss Turn 6-7?

There's really no farming or grinding in the game. There's some side missions that you can do for extra xp, but they don't give you Veterans.
- Medals increase your Army Rank and give you vital bonuses as explained above
- Veterans (Chaos Swords) help each region fight better during War Resolution at the end of every turn. Typically you will want to add 5 Veterans to two regions every turn (2 from the Prep Phase mission and 3 from the Operations phase mission).
- Meal Tickets give a single character a large xp boost, and allows you to see a story event with them. It's better to spend meal tickets on either female characters, since higher levels (20 and 40) unlock nude versions of female characters, or on Demon faction characters, since later on you will depend on Demon faction characters to deal most of the damage. You have to unlock the Demon faction first with an Army Rank point to be able to give Demon characters meal tickets (it's the option with the skull).

You need to rescue Miki before the end of turn 6 to avoid fighting Kayblis on turn 6. Beginning on turn 4, there is an Operations Phase mission to search for and rescue Miki (in Leazas), so you have 3 turns to do that. There are no other requirements for this mission.

PS. I love Rance games and am so sad this is the last. I pray to TADA that he would make some kind of "sequel" or child based on other characters in Rance World. Keep that world alive!

Make sure you are playing at least with a machine-translation set up. This game is too complicated with no translation whatsoever. Also, while the guide I wrote at the start of this thread is incomplete, they should still help you a little with the GUI.

darkcross852

Literate
Having gone back and replayed my old 0 CP saves, I'm convinced that 0 CP is the most enjoyable and balanced way to experience Rance X.

that's something that I have to experience for myself because there are so many complicated parts that I really think CPs are necessary

since not only are the limitations of the game but the language, I had many moments in which I was between choosing an object that looks interesting or a good character that could serve me and I usually leave the objects in the chests not knowing if they can help me or not (flags, trumpet, food, lion statuette, etc ...)

Rance4ever!

Literate

Each typical turn has 3 phases - Preparation Phase (Blue), Operations Phase (Red) and Base Phase (Green). You don't get to choose your missions until the start of Turn 2.

Make sure you are playing at least with a machine-translation set up. This game is too complicated with no translation whatsoever. Also, while the guide I wrote at the start of this thread is incomplete, they should still help you a little with the GUI.

Thank you so much for the help!

I find this game unique from all the previous Rance series. Even Rance Quest or Rance IX were a piece of cake. (The only close competitor in terms of difficulty/randomness is that Rance 4 or 5 game where you spin a battle wheel to fight.) The very frustrating part is finding out I chose a quest that was the WRONG one!
I had used my Turn 1 to attack Leazas and beat La Hawzel because I read in this forum she gets crazy HP if you leave her alone. But... now I spent my Turn 2 attacking Babolat without getting Lei first... Each quest takes over 10 hours to do (save scumming battles) the drop rate is awful for treasure chests. But now I am fighting Babolat in 2nd battle and I cannot beat him before he eats me. What should I do? Is there a strategy for beating Babolat with New Game 0CP??

I checked the alicesoft wikia for beating Babolat. This Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBiLNJwV-uc is not good. This is for a New Game+ with 2+CP and high leveled team.

You said this game is not for farming/grinding. It seems it has a different kind of "farming". For new players they need to farm battles save scumming for hours before they get someone good. (I couldn't believe I was dying without Sachiko in fighting La Hawzel). And the veteran players have to "farm" the entire game through its endings and CP points.

This game is crazy difficult and it wouldn't even be that bad if only I figured out which order to do the quests because fighting a tough boss without the right heroes in your army is basically a giant waste of time.

However thats not my complaint. This difficulty is a welcome breath of fresh air compared to Rance IX's easiness. What I cannot understand is why the hell for the Last Game TADA and Alicesoft only made 1 or 2 sets of H-scene CGs for the characters! I spoiled myself and checked the art in the game and was disappointed they only made 1 or 2 H-scenes for each character. And there were even some girls who I really like who had NO H SCENE! Yes thats right Rance has off-screen sex with them (or maybe no sex at all!) and you dont see it! I know they got a lot of girls but for the Last Game they really just fed us crumbs, the H Scenes are awesome but they are so few for each girl it doesn't do it justice :(

PS. I forgot to add but this may be a little hint. Some characters have some kind of status effect or passive effect. Similar to the tactician in Sengoku Rance when they appear in your party. I just dont know if any character has an effect like Strong against Demons. You can see their elements ok but the Japanese writing will take some time to translate. (I now regret dumping the Gold Attack Bear for the cute maid, I thought Rance wanted a harem game not a wargame)

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
For first game you don't need to aim for 1-turning. Just play normal. If you 1-turn countries you just miss half of the game content. Leave it to when you know what are you doing.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I think you'll soon see a pattern to which girls got HCGs in Rance X:pete:

This is definitely a war game, the battles are super hard with 0 CP.

Strong against demons is the ability that basic Pastel has on her attack.

For the easy version of Babolat (untimed, but he tries to eat you) you just have to use a character that can dispel his buff, like Magic, Miracle Tou or Arlcoate. You really need to be able to figure out the card abilities to get anywhere in this game. I'm sorry I haven't been more deligent about doing the card translations.

We have another thread for general comments on Rance X and the other Alicesoft games in the JRPG forum.

Rance4ever!

Literate
For the easy version of Babolat (untimed, but he tries to eat you) you just have to use a character that can dispel his buff, like Magic, Miracle Tou or Arlcoate. You really need to be able to figure out the card abilities to get anywhere in this game. I'm sorry I haven't been more deligent about doing the card translations.
We have another thread for general comments on Rance X and the other Alicesoft games in the JRPG forum.

Thank you thats useful! I think the most valuable component of 0 CP plays is figuring out which heroes have special passive skills and effects. I already found the dark skinned girl who autoheals you every turn, the paladin knight who heals you with a successful attack, the knight who buffs your DEF with each successful attack. And for the buff/debuff Sachiko seems to have a debuff only good for flying and nothing else from what I saw, the Old Man (Doestoevsky?) has a buff cleanse that seems to have NO effect on the party, theres another girl who seems to buff cleanse the party with the Heart shaped skill but it has no effect either like the old man.

From my experience the most valuable heroes that are Necessities are Sachiko (for flying enemies), the girl who auto-heals you every turn, the paladin knight who heals with an attack, and the Miko girl who heals you big. Also Copandon she is probably the BEST healer in this game. This is only for 0 CP of course. Did I miss anyone?

Right now I am doing Free Cities and I keep getting stuck on that cursed doll miniboss that kills you in 8 turns. I got to do better damage...

Jason Liang

Arcane

Thank you thats useful! I think the most valuable component of 0 CP plays is figuring out which heroes have special passive skills and effects. I already found the dark skinned girl who autoheals you every turn, the paladin knight who heals you with a successful attack, the knight who buffs your DEF with each successful attack. And for the buff/debuff Sachiko seems to have a debuff only good for flying and nothing else from what I saw, the Old Man (Doestoevsky?) has a buff cleanse that seems to have NO effect on the party, theres another girl who seems to buff cleanse the party with the Heart shaped skill but it has no effect either like the old man.

From my experience the most valuable heroes that are Necessities are Sachiko (for flying enemies), the girl who auto-heals you every turn, the paladin knight who heals with an attack, and the Miko girl who heals you big. Also Copandon she is probably the BEST healer in this game. This is only for 0 CP of course. Did I miss anyone?

Right now I am doing Free Cities and I keep getting stuck on that cursed doll miniboss that kills you in 8 turns. I got to do better damage...

I guess I need to get working on the translations soon!

Dossky's 2AP is actually an assassination attack that has a 70% of auto-killing any normal encounter, once per rest. The generic JAPAN mikos heal like Copa, as well as Rance's 3 maids (not Biscuitta).

But a lot of the fun is also figuring out what characters do yourself, at least it was for me.

You should use Magic against the Ari Root Robot girl to remove her AI buff before it max stacks at 3, or else she starts unloading insane attacks each turn.

Some other characters you should have-
- Shiela's normal attack has a 60% chance of debuffing Heal Seal, which stops enemies from healing themselves. That's a rare ability
- Crook's 2 AP ability creates a magic Barrier that completely absorbs the next physical or magical attack, which is one of the most useful abilities against bosses
- Marina Curry's ability creates meal tickets. It's useful although getting new characters is even more useful
- Eleanor Ran has a sleep spell that if it works, causes enemies (even bosses) to skip their entire turn until they get attacked or the sleep wears off, which is crazy powerful
- You've probably figured out that the ninjas (Kanami, Kiku, Freya and Dark Heron) have attack cancel like they do in previous Rance games. In fact if you've played through RQ/ RQM, most characters have abilities similar to their RQM abilities
- Maria has a once per rest buff that leaves a permanent castle fortification which reduces physical damage by 20%. It's very useful against bosses
- Kouhime's attack (dango attack) poisons enemies, and is a very effective way of damaging high hp bosses
- Merim and Ruberan Tser are both very useful if you saved them (in fact basically all of the common Helman characters are useful). Merim has a 0 AP small heal, and Ruberan can cure debuffs for 0 AP.
- Rocky and Anasel have enemy target priority (like Merim in RQ) so they are also very useful
- If you get Crook's 2nd card in base phase, later on you can get her 3rd card (Pope) which actually is one of the best heals in the game
- If you are lucky enough to find them in chests, make sure you take Atago and Pleupet. Atago's ability gives you +1 AP every other round (crazy) and Pleupet lets you find more rare cards from chests

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
Some other characters you should have-

Awesome Jason you are a lifesaver! Yes I could find that stuff myself but you probably saved a couple weeks of trial and error!

Heres a gift for everyone.

After spending some blood and tears here is the Bonus menu translation below:

https://imgur.com/zvAjADX
Bottom 2 choices:
食券イベント引き継ぎ Meal Ticket Event Inheritance

高難物度モード High difficulty level mode

Top Choices:
部隊ランク上昇 +1 Unit rank rise

戦闘経験値増加 +50% Increase fighting experience value

EXPUP上昇ランク +1 EXPUP rise rank

取得時*ランク +5 When acquiring rank?

なんでもあり宝箱から全てのキャラ There are all characters from treasure box

Feel free to copy this in your first post Jason. The translation is not perfect but this what Google translate came up with. I have no idea which choices are the most valuable, I assume the Unit Rank Rise means extra Stars per hero? Not quite sure of the diff btw EXPUP and 50% inc in battle xp. Will have to experiment on high difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Jason Liang

Arcane
we actually have most of this information already in this thread, the other thread, and the alicesoft wiki page

the wiki page has also been updated with a translation guide for most of the common skills. The more complicated part is the effects of the various buffs, since that's not actually written on the cards themselves (you have to try them to figure out what they do)

darkcross852

Literate
ask, to liberate all countries do I need to defeat 2 maijin at once in the first turns?

and my dear cordoba have some of hope? damn it i not like see how is killed

:despair:

Jason Liang

Arcane
ask, to liberate all countries do I need to defeat 2 maijin at once in the first turns?

You can liberate all the countries without 1-turning, but you cannot win through land invasion without 1-turning. To win through land-invasion you must liberate all countries before the end of turn 13 on paper, before the end of turn 12 in practice. So in practice you must 1-turn at least 2 countries early if you want to liberate all countries and achieve a good ending (A ending) at the same time. If you liberate all 4 countries on turn 14 or 15, you'll be too late to get any of the A endings. You can get an A ending without 1-turning (for example sea-invasion) but you wont liberate all 4 countries.

I 1-turned all 4 countries with 5 CP start, but it was quite difficult so I recommend 6 CP start at least for land invasion A ending.

darkcross852

Literate

You can liberate all the countries without 1-turning, but you cannot win through land invasion without 1-turning. To win through land-invasion you must liberate all countries before the end of turn 13 on paper, before the end of turn 12 in practice. So in practice you must 1-turn at least 2 countries early if you want to liberate all countries and achieve a good ending (A ending) at the same time. If you liberate all 4 countries on turn 14 or 15, you'll be too late to get any of the A endings. You can get an A ending without 1-turning (for example sea-invasion) but you wont liberate all 4 countries.

I 1-turned all 4 countries with 5 CP start, but it was quite difficult so I recommend 6 CP start at least for land invasion A ending.

which CP bonus are the most recommended, I am currently testing 6 Cp in EXP in battle and sincerely I am not yet very convinced of which are the best

Jason Liang

Arcane

which CP bonus are the most recommended, I am currently testing 6 Cp in EXP in battle and sincerely I am not yet very convinced of which are the best

2x +5 character ranks (total +10)
4x +1 army rank (total +4)

Rance4ever!

Literate
How did you do the two demon kill? I forgot what it was called but the other posters said you can fight two demon lords in the same turn. I went on the Operations Phase and tried to kill the two demon lords but I can only choose one path at a time. Do they mean kill the same demon lord two times in this path? Is that right?

Rance4ever!

Literate
I also forgot to ask but how do you free Carmilla? What quests do you need to do? I've been neglecting Zeth since all the other regions had characters die or bosses get too strong. What do you need to do in Zeth to get Carmilla before Kayblis steals her from Rance?

Reinhardt

Arcane
I also forgot to ask but how do you free Carmilla? What quests do you need to do? I've been neglecting Zeth since all the other regions had characters die or bosses get too strong. What do you need to do in Zeth to get Carmilla before Kayblis steals her from Rance?
You need to 1-turn Zeth to prevent lots of characters die. And you need to do it early because it's much harder to clear Galtia challenge if difficulty builds up. If you kill Medusa before Kayblis release Carmilla you can do mission and free her or just wait until she wander to your castle later.

How did you do the two demon kill?
If you win versus hard version of first demon you have an option to continue mission and fight second.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Iirc if you defeated both majins you must reinforce Leazas until they self-liberate or liberate them manually or else monster army do all-out attack and he will die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom