Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Gameplay Guide] Rance X: Decisive Battle

KingDoofus

Scholar
Alright! Even though the game's been out a while, I thought I'd give a little bit of a primer on roster setups. There are roughly 7 billion cards to unlock in Rance X (1 for every human being on Earth) but making an active roster of 7 can sometimes be difficult. So I thought I'd give a little advice on what I look for when creating a team. You may want to use the Alicesoft wiki for reference if you have no idea who these people are.

This is mostly for bosses/difficult fights, as you'll probably be focused on leveling up cards for easier fights. Also, this is mostly for when you've unlocked 7 spots - the principles of team composition still apply, but you're much more limited in what kinds of contributions you can prioritize (you may only have 4 slots!). Anyway!:

2-3 damage dealers. This is all about maximizing AP usage. Having a team of all damage dealers makes no sense: if Character A hits for 20k damage for 2AP and Character B hits for 10k damage for 2AP, unless they've got some passive abilities, using AP on Character B's damage is a waste. This is going to vary from mission to mission, since element bonuses and faction bonuses can give you anywhere from 50% to 150% damage boosts and should absolutely be taken into account. Other than Rance, this means there really isn't one or two top damage dealers. Still, you'll see some familiar faces in this role: Rance, Rolex, Rick, Full Kalar, Kenshin, anyone from the Demon Faction once they've powered up. This also largely depends on your most powerful factions: if you don't have many cards from Zeth, they won't be hitting very hard. Also, it depends on who they're competing against from the same faction: Kenshin is a pretty good hitter, but unfortunately she's competing with THE KILLER DANGO.

% based attacks. For early in a fight, when enemy hp can be extremely high. Basically, poison and curse. Poison hits for 5% of an enemy's current hp every turn and curse hits for 20% of an enemy's current hp after 3 turns (+1 turn for every time you've used it). There are a few options on who to use here, but usually your best options will be Kou for poison and Pastel or Vivid Kalar for curse. A special mention goes to Papaya Server, who can double poison's effectiveness to 10% per turn. The usefulness of these abilities wanes as the fight goes on, so it's probably worth switching these characters out later in the fight.

Enemy buff removal. Some fights can revolve around enemy buffs (flight, Babolot's eating habits) or just make things much more difficult (+100% damage, +100% defense, etc.). You've got plenty of options, some of whom remove buffs as a skill or as part of their attack: Miracle, Magic, Arlcoate, Sachiko, Urza, etc. Oruoure and Crane will remove up to 4 buffs with their skills. Who you choose among those will depend on other factors but it's usually worth it to have someone on hand who can remove these at a moment's notice.

Team buffing. Lots of options here as there's lots of different buffs. Tactician buffs raise damage by 10% per stack (like from Kou or Arlcoate), defense buffs raise damage reduction (like from Caesar), attack skills raise attack damage (like from Kenshin), healing skills can raise the auto-healing rate (like Horus Queen), etc., etc., etc. There's too many to name and what you choose to have on hand will depend on what challenges you face in the fight, but it's almost always a worthwhile use of AP.

Passives. This gets its own section. You'll only have so much AP to spend, so having someone who can contribute by doing nothing but sitting there is a huge boost. Here's some examples but again, there's too many to name them all: Sachiko gives you a +20% defense boost, Cafe gives you a +20% attack boost, Papaya boosts the rate of auto-healing, Arlcoate give you tactician bonuses, Nunuhara Cabbage makes element bonuses happen every turn, etc., etc., etc. Take note of characters that can contribute even when you ignore them.

Healers/debuff removers. Not an immediate priority in most fights (and if you're kicking ass you won't need them at all), but as the fight drags on you'll need to know who you can switch in if low hp becomes an issue. These same characters can often also help you with a second issue, enemy debuffs. Most fights won't feature these but some can revolve around them: Medusa can permanently turn characters to stone, Hawzel can hit you with a debuff that makes fire damage do extra, etc. You've got a good amount of options: Sill, Japan's Mikos, Agireda, Copandon Dott, Mi Lordring, even Rance's maids if you get desperate. Ruberan Tser can remove debuffs at no AP cost (and she's not the only one). You won't always feature these characters but you'd better know who they are when things go south.

Wild cards. Again: 7 billion cards to choose from. Plenty of them have fairly unique skills that may be helpful depending on the enemy. Eleanor can put enemies to sleep (even bosses). Ninjas can prevent enemy actions. Crook can put up a damage shield against 1 enemy attack. Atago McCart can give you extra AP. 7 billion options. Go nuts here.

Most Important: PEOPLE WHO CAN DO MULTIPLE THINGS OUTLINED ABOVE. This is what is going to separate your top characters from your average/mediocre characters. For example: Cream has a 20% chance to passively give you a tactician bonus. She can also actively give you one at the cost of 1AP. Compare this to Arlcoate: she has a 40% chance to to passively give you a tactician bonus (60% in one of her alt cards). She also has an attack that removes enemy buffs (it's even ranged so it'll hit flyers). Arlcoate checks three boxes well (passives, buffs, remove enemy buffs). Cream checks one/two (kinda) poorly (buffs). This is the most important part of team composition - who is helping you in multiple ways.

Extra Bonus: Naked cards. Because why not?

Here's an example of a generic full team that checks many of these boxes:

Arlcoate (passives, buffs, remove enemy buffs)
Atago McCart (Wild Card extra AP, has a useful naked card too!)
Dark Heron (Wild Card enemy attack prevention, damage shield)
Kou (passives, buffs, % based damage)
Pastel (Damage on White Element, % based damage)
Caesar (Damage on Red Element, Passives, Buffs)
Rance (GAHAHAHAHA)

On hand for healing: switch out Kou for Mikos/Agireda once enemy hp so low that poison no longer worthwhile.

Honestly, there's a million ways to put your team together. I wrote this up because there are certain things you'll want to look for (and if you don't speak Japanese, this becomes harder), but tinkering with putting your team together is half of the enjoyment of this game. Just remember to play around and have fun.

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
As for some of the cards with ability requirements: Rei's bottom ability require's Mary in the active roster. His top ability require's the enemy to be electrocuted (which characters like Magic, Kabachahn, etc. can do). 666 Miracle and her grandmother require the enemy's life total to end with a 6 before she can use that ability. Kesselring doesn't require curses, he/she requires the combo meter to be at 2 and won't attack at any other value. Plenty of characters have abilities that they can't use against bosses (like assassination skills). Lots of characters have unique conditions to their attacks: Capture2Text will really help with this (it recognizes the text most easily on their character profile page).

Also remember! This may be the last new Rance game but Alicesoft has already made noise that they'd like to make a Rance 04! Io will have her day again! Ho ho ho!

Hi Thank you KingDoofus! This is really helpful. I'm embarrased but I have no idea how to use this Capture2Text. I looked at Youtube and installed it and fiddled with it but it seems to make a bunch of squiggly messed up vertical Kanji like bad pasta :(
Forget about translating I don't even think I'm "capturing" Japanese here! I tried another program called KanjiTomo (http://kanjitomo.net/) that program seemed to have a superior translation ability but after I downloaded it I keep getting this popup saying there is no dictionary installed! (Yes I'm not gonna win any programming contests...) So I basically am playing this game windowed with the Kanji Writer and a Word file open basically writing a novel for myself with conversations which may actually take more time than collecting all the cards which sucks big! Is there a Youtube video or a simple step by step guide explaining what to do with this Capture2Text program to make it work? The site itself talks about pictures or something but I need a specific guide just on installing it for Visual novels like Rance.

As for double suppressing places on Hard mode, it's become the common opinion that it mostly depends on your card drops (so basically, you have to get lucky). If you get a bunch of stinkers, you're going to have trouble doubling a country early. But if you get a bunch of studs (like
Arios and his girlfriend
) you're going to do much better.

Yes that is the most frustrating but also entertaining part of this game. It never gets boring when you grind/play for 3 days only to find you do not have your Hanty! or the Old Bearded Zeth mage that does a one time 7x Smack 4AP attack or Atago. I need all 3 to stand a realistic chance at DS. Well for Hard Mode I found the only region I can reliably DS is Zeth of course. But I believe I should be able to DS Leazas Silky, I got close to beating her but I just cannot have enough time or AP to break her HP down to 0, (I did 300-400 HP damage with Lia and Hanty before the time ran out). Forget about using Kibako or Poron unless...

And for the record it is goddamn impossible to DS Free Cities and Helman on Hard but you're right you actually DO NOT want to DS either of those two regions which I'll get to in a sec.

Papaya boosts the rate of auto-healing

Thank you for telling me that. That is going to be VERY useful, my Kim Chee heals me once in a blue moon before I get KO'd by a boss, I really could use something for her to speed it up.

Extra Bonus: Naked cards. Because why not?

This is what is crazy here. I saw on the character details section most of the characters have 4-5 card variations. So this is their basic card, naked card, super card, old art design card, and some other card type. And I was just wondering, how the hell do I possible farm all the goddamn cards even on multiple playthroughs?? I have to collect each stage of each card to unlock the next variation which is... impossible. Because I have 1 billion characters that are selected from for every treasure chest. What the hell do I do to farm all the same character cards??? This is literally a lottery! It makes it statistically impossible to run through all the cards. What do I do? Should I check the option on the New Game CP for all cards unlocked? I do that already but it still doesn't give me good chances to find all the cards of the same person to complete a collection and even in the rare case I do manage to drop all the cards, the next time I play would have the same chance to get the same old card again which is time consuming to say the least. I have better chances winning the lottery here unless there is some trick you can show me.

Oh and for special skills can you confirm with me The Demon Miki card's skill is doing 20X damage attack when your HP drops below 5%? Is that correct?

Also remember! This may be the last new Rance game but Alicesoft has already made noise that they'd like to make a Rance 04! Io will have her day again! Ho ho ho!

This is nice but it still sucks that TADA is going to retire (from what I heard). That means there will no more Rance type games or anything resembling that. Maybe more Daiteikoku or some boring vanilla crap like that. :(
I was wondering why they didn't put in voice acting for Rance X when they did that for Rance 03! And I know its a lot of people but at least give voice acting for the sex scenes and cinematic ending scenes! This would have been a great farewell by putting in voices as goodbye present. I know they are going to have voices in R04. And while R04 is nice I am also looking forward to more Rance anime! They have a lot of material to work with here!

And lastly this is something a game veteran figured out that new players can look forward to: You can grind in this game! Yes you can grind XP only. Not cards or items. So once you have all your good cards in a lucky early game, grind
Helman's Kesselring mission.
You'll know what I'm talking about;)

Last edited:

Rance4ever!

Literate
I also forgot to add but I am having a lot of difficulty getting all the endings.

According to the Wiki the endings below have conditions:

From the Sea (海から) (Ending A)
Choose 'Ship' path during 1st Extermination Mission in Free City. 'Tank' path also works; but requires doing Base Phase mission ランス船団 and picking 2nd choice between Turns 8 and 11.
Invade Monster World through sea on Turn 12
Be sure to pick the second operation phase quest instead of the first on turn 13.

From the Sky (空から) (Ending A)
2つの厄災 quest, pick Toppos route and follow the game

Breakthrough (強行突破) (Ending A)
Kayblis retrieved Kamilla by not saving Zeth by Turn 5
Rescue Hornet (when entering the castle you have to defeat all 4 of the enemies in max 7 rounds in total - suggestion: 1st enemy 1st round kill, the rest 3 enemies 2 rounds kill each)
強行突破 Quest on Turn 10 only, you will fight all 2nd Majin if they aren't killed yet

Great Invasion of the Monster World (魔物界大侵攻) (Ending A)
Invade by the end of Turn 14
All 4 countries liberated
1.000.000 troops (100万) across the map (there is a quest that give you 200.000 / phase as soon as you entered this Ending route)
Failed to meet these requirements will lead you towards Demon King Kayblis

I've defeated the Demon King though (魔王を倒したが) (Ending B)
Kill Demon King Kayblis at turn 6 if didn't find Miki; or
Kill Demon King Kayblis at turn 15 without achieving another ending's requirements

Defeat (敗北) (Ending C)
Multiple ways to get this ending:
Select the wrong location to invade during "From Sea" route during a turn 13 quest.
Retire from the "From Sea" route final quest

The Truth of God (神の真実) (Ending B)
50% casualty

Underground Strategy (地底大作戦) (Ending B)
Keep playing and do important mission with Poppins and Cream (Poppins are little elf boys/girls in Kalar Faction)
Assuming you do all of the Poppins related missions, the soonest you can achieve this ending is turn 12. (Poppins are little elf boys/girls in Kalar Faction)

JAPAN

Time Capsule (タイムカプセル) (Ending B)
Do Siberia (Helman) mission when Kayblis comes to invade on turn 11

Demon King Miki (魔王美樹) (Ending B)
Intercept Kayblis invasion and kill him.

Hero's Fulfillment (勇者の成就) (Ending C)
50% Casualty

Demon King from Another World (異界の魔王) (Ending B)
Miracle's Operation Mission, Steel Horror

The Collapse of Humanity (人類滅亡) (Ending C)
4 countries get annihilated, not doing anything since the beginning of the game
You know if you got this if there is no battle with Demon King Kayblis
Demon King Kayblis (魔王ケイブリス) (Ending C)
Failed to kill Demon King Kayblis at turn 6 if didn't find Miki; or
Failed to kill Demon King Kayblis at turn 15 without achieving another ending's requirements

The endings I just cannot get are:

ENDING A ROUTE

From the Sky (空から) (Ending A)
2つの厄災 quest, pick Toppos route and follow the game

I cannot find the choices for the Toppos route and maybe I made a wrong choice somewhere. Need some help to find this Sky ending please!

CLIFF FORT ROUTE

Underground Strategy (地底大作戦) (Ending B)
Keep playing and do important mission with Poppins and Cream (Poppins are little elf boys/girls in Kalar Faction)
Assuming you do all of the Poppins related missions, the soonest you can achieve this ending is turn 12. (Poppins are little elf boys/girls in Kalar Faction)

I also purposely lost against Toppos-Red Eye and got to the Cliff Route. However either a nation falls or I get the 50% ending instead. I cannot find the right ending for the Underground strategy. I assume I have to do the Poppins missions in the Operational Stage only and theres no other mission right? I did them all but maybe a nation falling caused this ending to get locked?? I don't know.

JAPAN ROUTE

Time Capsule (タイムカプセル) (Ending B)
Do Siberia (Helman) mission when Kayblis comes to invade on turn 11

Demon King Miki (魔王美樹) (Ending B)
Intercept Kayblis invasion and kill him.

Hero's Fulfillment (勇者の成就) (Ending C)
50% Casualty

I cannot get the Japan path. I tried doing it around Turn 10-11 but I get stuck in Cliff ending instead. Maybe I should let a nation fall around Turn 5?? Whats the right Turn to go to Japan ending? And on one turn the demons attacked Japan and defeated it around Turn 9-10 so I'm not sure what is going on here? Do I need to do the Operational Stage Japan mission as soon as I find it??

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I cannot find the choices for the Toppos route and maybe I made a wrong choice somewhere. Need some help to find this Sky ending please!
You need to connect your flying castle to Toppos and use him for moving around. There is very short mission where you need to chose correct path iirc.
After that you must spend few turns to actually move to demon realm so don't delay too much.

Rance4ever!

Literate
You need to connect your flying castle to Toppos and use him for moving around. There is very short mission where you need to chose correct path iirc.
After that you must spend few turns to actually move to demon realm so don't delay too much.

Ok thanks. I figured out the Sky ending, you have to first do the Poppins quest in FC when it pops up ASAP and then do the Prep/Base missions where you get the cutscenes with the Dragon, and then do the fight against Toppos. It was a little tricky when you get the castle in Monster territory where theres multiple missions but I figured out through trial and error. Now I am struggling against this Monster Girl achievement, I can't seem to capture this monster girl to get the Tiny Reach achievements.

And I found someone who double suppressed on hard mode, VERY impressive.

Rance4ever!

Literate
Any idea how to beat Warg at 19,500,000 HP difficulty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVCSv3xSn4

This guy on Youtube showed the beginning of the battle but he skipped the rest. I moved my difficulty too high up, she is immune to status effects (poison, sleep), my Level 60 Hanty does only 700K damage, she wipes me out in 2-4 hit rounds even with Hanny resurrect.

Is there any character that gives boosts physical damage resistance?? Or resists sleep?

AkashiYuro

Barely Literate
Any idea how to beat Warg at 19,500,000 HP difficulty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWVCSv3xSn4

This guy on Youtube showed the beginning of the battle but he skipped the rest. I moved my difficulty too high up, she is immune to status effects (poison, sleep), my Level 60 Hanty does only 700K damage, she wipes me out in 2-4 hit rounds even with Hanny resurrect.

Is there any character that gives boosts physical damage resistance?? Or resists sleep?

I think not. There is only one way to reduce the damage is to use Shield Buff ( Cordoba, Sachiko ) or spend AP.
p/s: Anyone knows how to get Warg's CG, I try multiple times but still don't get its. (sorry for bad english >_<).

dark knight

Literate
hey guys how to keep the as low as humanly possible humanity death rate?
I was able to slow it down at first but after i have to sacrifice major missions for shangrila and hornet i completely lost it, 3 to 4 percentage a turn. I have seen a guy on you tube who could keep it around 14 percent by the time of turn 14 and 15. May be there is a way to resurrect the humankind?

Jason Liang

Arcane
I was able to slow it down at first but after i have to sacrifice major missions for shangrila and hornet i completely lost it, 3 to 4 percentage a turn. I have seen a guy on you tube who could keep it around 14 percent by the time of turn 14 and 15. May be there is a way to resurrect the humankind?
On second games you can choose a base phase mission on turn 2 which enables bonuses that slow down humanity's death rate. You get the bonuses by collecting 40 cards from each faction when you complete the game (for example if you have 40 Leazas characters when you complete the game, you'll reduce Leazas death rate on replays). Otherwise the keys on a first game is to do Shangri-la on turn 5 and to complete the Guard and Healer sidequests. But it's pretty hard to keep death rate below 30% on first game.

dark knight

Literate
On second games you can choose a base phase mission on turn 2 which enables bonuses that slow down humanity's death rate. You get the bonuses by collecting 40 cards from each faction when you complete the game (for example if you have 40 Leazas characters when you complete the game, you'll reduce Leazas death rate on replays). Otherwise the keys on a first game is to do Shangri-la on turn 5 and to complete the Guard and Healer sidequests. But it's pretty hard to keep death rate below 30% on first game.
which mission in basephase? There is apparently a lot.

Jason Liang

Arcane
which mission in basephase? There is apparently a lot.
It should be the 2nd from the top or thereabouts. You'll see Hannies and the Hanny King in the Calculator dungeon, as well as Serachloras.

Jason Liang

Arcane
and how to get the youkais from japan?
You must either let one of the nations fall before turn 8, which leads to Rance evacuating from Rance Castle to JAPAN, or after turn 12 a mission to help Masamune defeat Kurobe in the Youkai civil war will unlock. Isoroku, Masamune, Kurobe and Masamune's brides can be found in the JAPAN mission chests.

Rance4ever!

Literate
It should be the 2nd from the top or thereabouts. You'll see Hannies and the Hanny King in the Calculator dungeon, as well as Serachloras.

I believe Jason is referring to this quest: 増えるハニー
Never got it myself I read on the wiki it says condition is: ハニー系モンスターカード3枚以上所持? So you need 3? Hanny monsters?? Not sure if it requires 3 different types of Hannies or just 3 of the same card will do??

And speaking of Milordring:
What is that special skill attack of the younger Milord Ring's? The one that costs 6AP and does a description of ??? and Alice God damage? How do you use that skill and what are its effects?

Does anyone know how to activate the Base Quests:

1. 総統ハーレム

2. 英気を養う

These two quests get you the CG of Rance naked with the girls and you get the Naked Rance card. I never got it myself and don't know what the conditions are to activate it.

Also there seem to be Monster girl H CGs below:

女の子モンスター脱がす

ハウセスナースの繁殖期

セラクロラスの繁殖期

How do you get those 3??

And are there H-scenes or nude cards for the Japan Youkai Omachi, Noir, Orime, and Nogiku?

dark knight

Literate
should i do leazas or shangrila for operation mission on turn 5? i have read that i should do shangrila on turn 5 but i can not really comprehend the reason. i have tried and havent figured out the difference between them yet
After i double suppress silky can i go straight for la saizel AND hawzel or will i bump into lexington or la hawzel?

Jason Liang

Arcane
should i do leazas or shangrila for operation mission on turn 5? i have read that i should do shangrila on turn 5 but i can not really comprehend the reason. i have tried and havent figured out the difference between them yet
After i double suppress silky can i go straight for la saizel AND hawzel or will i bump into lexington or la hawzel?

Controlling Shangri-la will stop the Demon Army from adding reinforcements every turn so it's a high imperative to do that mission on turn 5.

If you double supress Silky you will be able to immediately fight Lexington (the middle route). You'll avoid La Saizel/ La Hawzel entirely.

It's possible to acquire all 3 of La Saizel, La Hawzel and Silky by first beating the sisters together to get both of them, then abort the mission. On a later turn, redo the mission but double supress Silky and Lexington.

Note that if you beat Lexington by double supression, you wont be able to recruit Nimitz.

dark knight

Literate
if i go with the 2 sister route then can i double suppress Lexington and silky instead?

Jason Liang

Arcane
if i go with the 2 sister route then can i double suppress Lexington and silky instead?
Not on the same turn.

Leazas 1-
a) fight La Hawzel -> fight Lexington
b) fight Silky -> fight Lexington
c) fight La Hawzel and La Saizel together
d) fight La Hawzel (easy version)
e) fight Silky (easy version)

If you chose c, d or e and did not fight Lexington, you will instead fight Lexington/ Juno/ Apollo in Leazas 2.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Silky and sisters are mutually exclusive. If you beat one you can't meet other. The only way to get both
It's possible to acquire all 3 of La Saizel, La Hawzel and Silky by first beating the sisters together to get both of them, then abort the mission. On a later turn, redo the mission but double supress Silky and Lexington.

So yes. If you continue mission after beating one of two majins you can't get another. And Nimitz too - Lexington completely supress her and she's lost.

Jason Liang

Arcane
then even if i defeat lexington in the 6 round battle i can not proceed to battling silky?
Again, if you want to fight Silky, then abort after you defeat La Hawzel/ La Saizel together, redo Leazas 1 this time take Silky path, beat her in 8 rounds and then continue on to fight Lexington.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom