Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Games as a service" is fraud

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does there really need to be an hour + video to explain this shit?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Once I went full digital

you-went-full-digital-never-go-full-digital.jpg

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also, changing the game after you buy it should be considered fraud as well. Technically they can turn the game into something completely different and you'd have no say on the matter. Plus, being always online it will autoupdate and you'll have no way to play the version you bought. But it doesn't matter, we do what we want, stop being so entitled and give us your money, you sheep.
Boi oh boi does stellaris comes to my mind. Lost the fun for me after the megacorp paid update and their massive fuckering of the AI (Making worse than it was related to economy) and game mechanics was a whole. I miss my nice block pop/building planetary management :negative:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No one would ever pay to sue over it so we'll never know, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if someone claimed fraud because a game like Grand Theft Auto 4 lists songs in the booklet that are no longer in the game because of an "update." The boxed version might not force updates like Steam does though, not sure. In any case I'm sure there's some example of that.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
In other words - caveat emptor. As it was, as it is, as it shall be. Even a properly defined EULA can do nothing to assuage the grief caused by someone not paying attention and just looking to inject more digital heroin to feed their addiction.

In my words - if you overdose on the drug, don't blame the dealer.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This discussion made sense 15 years ago when all the online only nonsense (and Steam) came up. Today this war has been lost and you're wasting your time.

I'm just coming from playing a game where even the inventory lags asf because it's loaded every time from a server, and there is a 1 second delay on closing the inventory. You can also buy inventory loadouts for 2 $ each, that are basically saved inventories, and which make this a bit more bearable I guess (I refuse to buy them).

Gamers should have never accepted a single game to be online only, but when there were people saying that 15 years ago almost no one listened because "it's working for me".

Burning Bridges

Did not see there was a bit of a follow up a while back.

Bla bla. What this uncle isn't talking about is that when a software depends on a server in another country to even run it is nothing but crippleware. Only a lawyer can say wether TOS are legal but people should understand what they are buying. And if a game depends on another computer telling it to run it is crap, garbage, garbage, garbage

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It's not a matter of "gamers should've" or "gamers shouldn't have". The free market doesn't actually work for anyone but the corps, as proven by these past few centuries of capitalism. Within this system they'll always manage to get people to accept anti-consumer models and tactics over time.

Video games were doomed to head down this path as soon as the market for them got big enough.

Burning Bridges

Maybe, but people gobbled this up because they are lazy. How many warnings were given that you occasionally need to downgrade or keep a stable version forever especially with mods and absolutely DONT want updates to happen in the background. But then people became used that games install and update completely by themselves and in the worst case it completely eats up your bandwidth for an entire week, only so they never need to look into readmes again. Great progress!

Norfleet

There is a clear, simple solution to people who are tired of shitty games that you can't even have: Learn to code! Make your own game or figure out how to crack existing ones.

Besides, what else were you going to do with your computar time?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This discussion made sense 15 years ago when all the online only nonsense (and Steam) came up. Today this war has been lost and you're wasting your time.

I'm just coming from playing a game where even the inventory lags asf because it's loaded every time from a server, and there is a 1 second delay on closing the inventory. You can also buy inventory loadouts for 2 $ each, that are basically saved inventories, and which make this a bit more bearable I guess (I refuse to buy them).

Gamers should have never accepted a single game to be online only, but when there were people saying that 15 years ago almost no one listened because "it's working for me".

I agree with your sentiments in genera, but I think gamers actually sent a very strong signal against always online DRM for singleplayer games. The problem is publishers just responded to that by making most games online games to some extent, justifying the requirement and taking away that complaint. I'd guess in another 10 years or so pretty much every game from a major publisher will have some co-op or "live service" aspect to it, justifying it being always online, which will make the streaming issue irrelevant as long as it performs well enough for the average joe. Given how low people's standards are with streaming video, I doubt it'll take much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom