Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I personally don't understand codex hate for dark souls. And the disagreement is very fundamental because to me "popamole" means brain-dead. Codex loves gazillions of games with braindead combat like arcanum (I am not hating on the game, its amazing), but labels a game that is intelligently difficult, good level design, real consequences to death of yourself or npc as popamole. It has great atmosphere, variety of builds with real differences, and even c&c which admittedly requires you to be pretty knowledgeable about the game to appreciate. The only thing that dark souls lacks is lots of text. But surely not every game needs walls of text to be good? It does have great atmosphere though. Lack of walls of text is stylistic choice to emphasize mystery and ambiance, much like diablo 1 did back in the day. I think codex really needs to rethink its contradictions about "popamole."

It's hard for me to list something codex loves but I don't tbh. I do think people are too okay with some games like POE 1 but everyone know it by now. My tastes are pretty broad.

Jokzore

Arbiter
BioShock, I acknowledge all of the issues that game has but it really doesn't get in the way of me enjoying it. I play it for Rapture, not for shooting.

Legend of Grimrock, I know there's some people here who like it, but there's a lot who don't. The combat was not very fun but I loved the dungeoneering and the atmosphere.

Wasteland 2 I thought was fantastic, though admittedly I've only ever played the Directors Cut, so I'm not privy to some of the issues the game had before that.

Overwatch, a lot of people shit on it because it has ''easy'' to play characters that require next to no aim, but that's precisely why I like it. I've never been good at shooters and I've always felt like I'm dragging the team down. In OW I can pick Reinhardt/Winston/Moira and focus on shit I'm good at and not have to worry about clicking on someones tiny head.

Mass Effect (2) I get that it's not an RPG, but unlike a lot of people here I'm okay with that. It's a shooter, BioWare shouldn't be condemned to create RPG for the entirety of its existence, especially when it's clear that they don't want to.

Mustawd

Wasteland 2 I thought was fantastic, though admittedly I've only ever played the Directors Cut, so I'm not privy to some of the issues the game had before that.

I haven’t played it but IMO I feel the hate is overdone. Plenty of people I’ve talked to who love the DC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jokzore

Arbiter
The only thing that dark souls lacks is lots of text. But surely not every game needs walls of text to be good?

That's precisely it. Dark Souls doesn't need walls of texts or cutscenes to tell a story, instead its told through everything else. The design of the environments, the design of the enemies, the equipment, the way things act and react, that's how Dark Souls tells its story.

ps popamole is largely a meme at this point, rather than an accurate descriptor for a game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wasteland 2, DC or not
I've played many tactical titles, some of them of very low grade (Apeiron's games, Planet Alcatraz, Hired Guns: Jagged Edge) but for the life I cannot enjoy Wasted Time, I mean, Wasteland.
Maybe it's Unity engine (game looks like arse, I know it's post apo but come on), maybe cartoonish animations combined with serious tone? Or skillcheck fest?

Pillows of Eternity
Same case as above - some middle tiers titles gave me more fun than PoE despite winning on the paper with everything.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The only thing that dark souls lacks is lots of text.

The only thing that dark souls lacks is being a fucking RPG. You know, that kind of games where your stats define success of your actions, not dancing an elaborate jig with two controllers in every orifice.

Both define success in dark souls. I fail to see how being less braindead is a bad thing for rpg tho. I mean I get if you don't want to rely on deliberate movement and thought during combat but what does that have to do with rpg or not? Baldurs gate required micromanagement during combat in some cases, does it mean the game is "dancing and elaborate jig with mouse and keyboard in every orifice?" I mean this type of complaint is just basically admitting that you want to play popamole to me.

Your trying too hard to paint something intelligent as braindead using this language. Dark souls had all the stats/builds stuff from other rpgs, the only difference is your brain has to be somewhat on to finish it, unlike your preferred clicker adventures.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Both define success in dark souls. I fail to see how being less braindead is a bad thing for rpg tho. I mean I get if you don't want to rely on deliberate movement and thought during combat but what does that have to do with rpg or not? Baldurs gate required micromanagement during combat in some cases, does it mean the game is "dancing and elaborate jig with mouse and keyboard in every orifice?" I mean this type of complaint is just basically admitting that you want to play popamole to me.

Your trying too hard to paint something intelligent as braindead using this language. Dark souls had all the stats/builds stuff from other rpgs, the only difference is your brain has to be somewhat on to finish it, unlike your preferred clicker adventures.

If you need "thought" to twitch joysticks like a spastic retard, I have bad news for you.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

If you need "thought" to twitch joysticks like a spastic retard, I have bad news for you.

Your deliberately pretending dark souls is either some kind of simplistic button masher or pure reaction time thing. This is disingenuous to a point where its obvious your trying to defend your ego from admitting your just not fit to complete those type of games. Which is fine I just wish you would actually make a coherent argument instead of throwing around hyperbole.

I mean is playing chess with a timer somehow "twitching". Real time systems still have all the strategy and tactics and IN ADDITION add time as a constraint. And if you don't mind real time systems whats the problem with making positioning and timing important? How is that "lesser" then allowing you to be careless in that regard?

You can throw words like "twitch" and "spastic retard" all you want but your literally defending fucking clicker adventures as high iq. The irony is too much.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Wasteland 2, DC or not
I've played many tactical titles, some of them of very low grade (Apeiron's games, Planet Alcatraz, Hired Guns: Jagged Edge) but for the life I cannot enjoy Wasted Time, I mean, Wasteland.
Maybe it's Unity engine (game looks like arse, I know it's post apo but come on), maybe cartoonish animations combined with serious tone? Or skillcheck fest?

Pillows of Eternity
Same case as above - some middle tiers titles gave me more fun than PoE despite winning on the paper with everything.

Literally felt exact same way. On paper they are great. Some codexes say they are good enough but I can't get myself to get through them despite enjoying games that are supposed to be far worse like dragonfall.

Your deliberately pretending dark souls is either some kind of simplistic button masher or pure reaction time thing. This is disingenuous to a point where its obvious your trying to defend your ego from admitting your just not fit to complete those type of games. Which is fine I just wish you would actually make a coherent argument instead of throwing around hyperbole.

I mean is playing chess with a timer somehow "twitching". Real time systems still have all the strategy and tactics and IN ADDITION add time as a constraint. And if you don't mind real time systems whats the problem with making positioning and timing important? How is that "lesser" then allowing you to be careless in that regard?

You can throw words like "twitch" and "spastic retard" all you want but your literally defending fucking clicker adventures as high iq. The irony is too much.

The entire DS series revolves finger-fucking a controller. That neither requires intelligence nor deft contemplation beyond committing a string of combos together. Your comparison to chess is moronic.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The entire DS series revolves finger-fucking a controller. That neither requires intelligence nor deft contemplation beyond committing a string of combos together. Your comparison to chess is moronic.

Okay your free to give example of rpgs that did combat better then dark souls. I can name a lot of rpgs with terrible combat that were otherwise decent. But if dark souls combat is so braindead button mashing, I really can't wait to play yoru examples of incline combat.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yeah OP, not sure where you got the idea that the Codex hates Dark Souls, but that's flat-out not true.

It should though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom