Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games codex hates but you like and vice versa.

Ovg

Cipher
Are racing games hated by the codex? Cause I like racing games.

I also always instal tons of mods for each game I play.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And all of that don't matter if your twitch skill are high or low. Combat resolution is entirely dependent on player input not stats. In a lot of shooters you have all the stats you mention, but that doesn't make them RPGs.

I love how every one of you rpg dogmatists loves to mention that dark souls combat isnt popamole but fails to logically connect how that makes it "not rpg." It's almost like its a personal vendetta against skill instead of an actual coherent argument.

I knew if I mentioned this, all of the closet codex popamolers would come from hiding trying to reclaim their ground.

Last edited:

Mustawd

And all of that don't matter if your twitch skill are high or low. Combat resolution is entirely dependent on player input not stats. In a lot of shooters you have all the stats you mention, but that doesn't make them RPGs.

I love how every one of you rpg dogmatists loves to mention that dark souls combat isnt popamole but fails to logically connect how that makes it "not rpg." It's almost like its a personal vendetta against skill instead of an actual coherent argument.

I knew if I mentioned this, all of the closet codex popamolers would come from hiding trying to reclaim their ground.

Dark Souls isnt an rpg. Its a fucking action game.

KK1001

Arbiter
Yeah, Dark Souls is an action game where the RPG elements are there to customize your character and make the game easier. Killing everything with starting items is extremely doable if a bit tedious. Ultimately, the player's success depends on twitch skill, memorization of boss patterns and only to a lesser extent itemization and meta-game knowledge.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Yeah, Dark Souls is an action game where the RPG elements are there to customize your character and make the game easier. Killing everything with starting items is extremely doable if a bit tedious. Ultimately, the player's success depends on twitch skill, memorization of boss patterns and only to a lesser extent itemization and meta-game knowledge.

No fuck off war craft 3 is a game with rpg elements, dark souls is an rpg. Yes combat is different and isn't reliant on level checks. How does that make it "not rpg". I understand how it makes it not a tabletop game but I don't understand how it makes it "not rpg".

Dice throws that you are clinging to were there out of necessity not because they are fundamental to rpgs. When gaming moved on from tabletop, we now have possibility to replace archaic dice throws with much less random and actual deliberate skillfull mechanics for encounters. Games like baldurs gate made dice throws only partially relevant in outcome of battle which was a stepping stone to engines and game mechanics evolving out of the random throws in its entirety.

To those not understanding why I am mentioning dice throws. It is because the rpgs through spreadsheets is based on the exact same arcaic system limited by pen and paper. It wasn't done because it was THE WAY to do it. It was done out of necessity of you not actually being a knight and the only available tools being pen and paper.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
No fuck off war craft 3 is a game with rpg elements, dark souls is an rpg.

Great example there. Warcraft 3 is to strategy games what Dark Souls is to RPGs.

? That is low iq comparison. War craft 3 is 99.9% rts so comparing to other rts is an rts with .1% of rpg elements. I don't think this works how you think it should lmao. Dark souls has all of the elements of rpg AND replaces popamole combat plaguing most rpgs. Its an evolution of genre away from braindead. You guys are gaming equivalent of reactionaries lol.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Rpg or not I don’t get the Dark Souls hype. I was thouroughly bored for the 5 minutes I suffered through in that game.

Sticky this fucking post on this forum because this shit represents all of these retards in one sentence.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The dice rolls you are clinging to...who is this retard?

Like I said coherent argument or admit your full of shit.

Nice false dichotomy there. I choose option C: Not arguing or discussing with an autistic retard.

We don’t need dicerolls anymore. Lol. Who even talks like that?

False dichotomy? lmao at least you didn't say some bullshit like Ad Hominem. Holy shit your a joke. I am done with you.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Dark Souls is still more of an action game than it is an RPG.

I mean there is nothing wrong with action games. I love me some action rpgs.

I just couldn’t get into Dark Souls.I found it boring. But I’ll likely give it another shot. Sometimes you’re just not in the mood for particular genres, and in my case someone kept insisting I play it. Farted around for five minutes until I said “Meh f this” and just fired up Torchlight 2 instead and left clicked things to death.

But hell. I even started enjoying Two Worlds in my second try, so who knows.

Alex

Arcane
Sports games. The codex generally hates them.
Unless they feature turn based action.

Fixed.
Yeah OP, not sure where you got the idea that the Codex hates Dark Souls, but that's flat-out not true.

It should though.

Well a lot of codexers do hate it because I see people hating on souls fans constantly. Maybe it is a loud minority.

I certainly don't hate the dark souls games (or at least, the second one which is the one I played). It is a pretty cool and well made game. But an RPG, it ain't.

Egosphere

Arcane
Rpg or not I don’t get the Dark Souls hype. I was thouroughly bored for the 5 minutes I suffered through in that game.
I thought Bloodborne was better. Same concept, but darker and far more Lovecraftian. The main appeal of the game was the exploration, which was more rewarding because it was challenging. Also, there's a lot of hidden stuff in the game, the story is told subtly, you have to pay attention to details and piece it together etc. It withholds serving the narrative on a platter, which forces you into hunting for all of the details yourself, which feeds into the exploration, which gradually raises more unanswered questions from the narrative. I think Bloodborne absolutely nailed that gaming loop.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No fuck off war craft 3 is a game with rpg elements, dark souls is an rpg.

Great example there. Warcraft 3 is to strategy games what Dark Souls is to RPGs.

? That is low iq comparison. War craft 3 is 99.9% rts so comparing to other rts is an rts with .1% of rpg elements. I don't think this works how you think it should lmao. Dark souls has all of the elements of rpg AND replaces popamole combat plaguing most rpgs. Its an evolution of genre away from braindead. You guys are gaming equivalent of reactionaries lol.

Warcraft 3 marked the downfall of the RTS genre and spawned those cancerous MOBAs.

Dark Souls is an action game with some RPG elements, like Dead Island.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
If I go to buy a game in the future and dark souls 10 is not listed under rpg section of games and is instead group with doom 10 because reasons, I will ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6e5E20k9jY

But really these semantic distinctions are being twisted to a point where its not practical. I am okay with modifiers like (C)RPG, (Souls-like)RPG, (Action)RPG, (Rogue-like)RPG, (old school)RPG these help me understand what is being talked about.

When you take something like souls and don't mention that its an rpg, i,e that it has c&c, levels, adventure, builds, larping, classes, etc... your just obfuscating words in the name of some theoretical purity that serves no semantic advantage. If you on the side of obfuscation, your on the wrong side.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom