Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that punish players for running around like freaks

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Do you run down the office halls to the water cooler when you're thirsty? Do you jog around the supermarket grabbing items as fast as you can? Do you find yourself sprinting around the nightclub chatting to girls? Do you only walk when going somewhere with a friend and you're forced to walk with them if you want to hear what they have to say?

When this happens in real life, you look like a freak.

Are there any games that punish you for this kind of behaviour and result in social disadvantages?

overly excitable young man

There are roleplaying servers if you like that.
You'll get punished for everything there.

Vatnik Wumao
Are there any games that punish you for this kind of behaviour and result in social disadvantages?
Well, an important NPC (& main companion) in Disco Elysium remarks upon it somewhat negatively if you keep running around instead of walking normally. Not really a disadvantage though.

kain30

Cipher
I think you are going to enjoy little big adventure. In that game if you run into a wall you lose life

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
If you're a Nosferatu in Bloodlines, people flip out if they even see you so you have to run around in the sewers to get places, and if you want to become a master of lockpicking in Arcanum, the master lockpicking teacher makes you run around naked, giving you the title of Pervert of Tarant and permanently lowering your opinion rating with them.

lobsterfrogman

Scholar
Well, an important NPC (& main companion) in Disco Elysium remarks upon it somewhat negatively if you keep running around instead of walking normally. Not really a disadvantage though.

He remarks on it even if you don't run - it is one of these moments when the game tries to be more clever than it is.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Way of the Samurai. If you run into someone - he will draw sword and try to kill you. And your characters from previous walkthoughs roam streets as npcs so they actually CAN kill you.

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind eats your stamina while running. It doesn't really disadvantage you socially that much, except all skill checks are affected by stamina %, including speechcraft and mercantile.
Skyrim Requiem adds trample/bullrush mechanics to stamina drain so running into people might even be received as attack.

I don't know of any that do that for running past people.

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Steam description said:
Octodad's existence is a constant struggle, as he must master mundane tasks with his unwieldy boneless tentacles while simultaneously keeping his cephalopodan nature a secret from his human family.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Morrowind eats your stamina while running. It doesn't really disadvantage you socially that much, except all skill checks are affected by stamina %, including speechcraft and mercantile.
Skyrim Requiem adds trample/bullrush mechanics to stamina drain so running into people might even be received as attack.

Skyrim eats your stamina while SPRINTING. Jogging is still the default and costs no stamina at all. I suspect this is the same for Oblivion/Morrowind but I can't remember.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Call of Duty, that omniscient artillery of doom makes short work of anyone the moment one strays off the sanctioned path of script explosions and spawning enemies. Socially, Winston Churchill reminds you every time you die you are a wanker.

DraQ

Arcane

Skyrim eats your stamina while SPRINTING.
What part of Skyrim Requiem did you not understand?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I liked the original Fallout, before the developers screwed it up with the patch. In the original, the Overseer explains the situation, and the dire need, and sends the PC out into the world where they either focus on finding the water chip, or betray the vault through negligence, apathy, or malice.

The game had countdown event timers, and even had ways for the player to influence some of them (for better or worse). The time they were allotted was usually enough to succeed, but if the player failed, or betrayed the vault, then the game shows an appropriate ending. In the case of apathy, the PC is assumed to have gone off on their own, to live out their new life in the wasteland; leaving the vault to its fate—and the game rightly didn't care about the PC's life after that point. The game's story was about the PC who tried to save the vault, not the PC who turned tail and ran away.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Skyrim eats your stamina while SPRINTING. Jogging is still the default and costs no stamina at all. I suspect this is the same for Oblivion/Morrowind but I can't remember.
Neither Morrowind nor Oblivion had sprinting; running drained fatigue (i.e. stamina) in Morrowind, while in Oblivion it merely reduced the rate of fatigue restoration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom