Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Games which do not have a proper in-depth character creation system are NOT Rpg's

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
By proper character creation system I mean the one like in Fallout 1, Daggerfall or Baldur's Gate. An 'rpg' is a 'role-playing' game so it is IMPERATIVE to create -your own- character, if you play a pre-designed character by the developers you cannot 'role play' because you cannot create a character you wish to be, thus at this point, games without proper character creator are adventure games with action/tactical combat at best.

(witcher games, gothic games etc)

Dramart

Learned
shitposter.png

Dramart

Learned
I disagree about witcher, you can choose the skills and your equipment, and you can make decisions that affect the world you are in. The thing you refer is just aesthetic, cuck.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Maybe witcher games, gothic games etc ARE character creators unto themselves?

:philosoraptor:

If you mean you get your character shaped by playing those games...... most likely not :M

I literally mean you create him in process. A skillpoint here, a skillpoint there. Character creation ends when the credits roll.

:roll: that is leveling up and progressing your character and not character creation

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I disagree about witcher, you can choose the skills and your equipment, and you can make decisions that affect the world you are in. The thing you refer is just aesthetic, cuck.

Choosing skills and equipment during gameplay is character progression and not creation.

Aesthethic?

hqdefault.jpg

NEXT !

Dramart

Learned
Choosing skills and equipment during gameplay is character progression and not creation.

Aesthethic?

hqdefault.jpg
Seriously? Do you think I was refering to that? Obviously you can see that's skill and attributes customization... geez you are dumb. Witcher is the same but you can't choose how Geralt looks, or if he has either peepee or vegene.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Aesthethic?

hqdefault.jpg
Seriously? Do you think I was refering to that? Obviously you can see that's skill and attributes customization... geez you are dumb. Witcher is the same but you can't choose how Geralt looks, or if he has either peepee or vegene.

No Witcher is not the same, you have no attributes customization

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is stupid (quelle surprise). If you start with a blank slate of a character, but you tailor it to the role you play during leveling ups and learning skills (Witcher, Gotchic, Deus Ex) it is just as an RPG as others, where you create your character at the beginning.

Dramart

Learned
No Witcher is not the same, you have NO character creation
Ok, it doesn't have character creation. It doesn't matter, it still is an RPG. You can "create" you character after, while you are playing the game.

At this point it's not an RPG, it's an adventure game with action combat with tackled on stats to fool you that you are playing something else than you actualy are.
No, it's not to fool you, because they're vital to beat the game. I think you're just trolling.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is stupid (quelle surprise). If you start with a blank slate of a character, but you tailor it to the role you play during leveling ups and learning skills (Witcher, Gotchic, Deus Ex) it is just as an RPG as others, where you create your character at the beginning.

During creation you can decide what type of your character will be - in Baldur you can be a warrior or a mage or a druid or a cleric, each has different abilites, spells etc, warrior cannot cast spells, a bard can potentialy charm better than others etc. In games where you cannot do that, you are limited to the same type 1 role - in Witcher you are a monster hunter, in Gothic you are some dude in prison colony - your fate is decided from the start, in an 'RPG' you decide your fate during character creation and tailor your character to that fate.

In Fallout 1 you can create a dumb character that cannot use weapons but has high speaking skills, you cannot do that in deus ex.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

During creation you can decide what type of your character will be - in Baldur you can be a warrior or a mage or a druid or a cleric, each has different abilites, spells etc, warrior cannot cast spells, a bard can potentialy charm better than others etc. In games where you cannot do that, you are limited to the same type 1 role - in Witcher you are a monster hunter, in Gothic you are some dude in prison colony -
Strange examples. For Baldur's Gate you are talking about characer classes (mage, druid etc), but in Witcher and Gothic, you are talking about character background story. But you can still create different characters in Gothic. You can be a mage, a fighter, a rogue, and although those class names don't appear on the character sheets, you still have the attributes and skills of those classes.
your fate is decided from the start, in an 'RPG' you decide your fate during character creation and tailor your character to that fate.
In Baldur's Gate, you have one fate, to kill Sarevok, the last Bhaalspawn. So that's a wrong example. In a game like Fallout you can have several fate, thanks to the choices & consequences, but it has nothing to do with character creation. It's about the choices you make.

In Fallout 1 you can create a dumb character that cannot use weapons but has high speaking skills, you cannot do that in deus ex.
You can't create a dumb character in Baldur's Gate, so BG is not a real RPG. But wait, previously you said that it is a real RPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

During creation you can decide what type of your character will be - in Baldur you can be a warrior or a mage or a druid or a cleric, each has different abilites, spells etc, warrior cannot cast spells, a bard can potentialy charm better than others etc. In games where you cannot do that, you are limited to the same type 1 role - in Witcher you are a monster hunter, in Gothic you are some dude in prison colony - your fate is decided from the start, in an 'RPG' you decide your fate during character creation and tailor your character to that fate.

Gothic is a bad example here.

Both Gothic 1 and 2 offer you different factions to join which essentially determine your class for the rest of the game. Wanna be a mage? Join the mages and learn magic from them.

Character creation is just shifted forward towards character development during the game.

index.php

Arcane
I thought characters are those things that i type ? Now that i think about it i don't remember a single game that allowed me to introduce my own characters.
Neither at the start or during the game. Has there ever been a true rpg that allows you to create characters ?
Dude, have you even played an RPG before?
4SKudMZ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom