Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Games with a *good* German translation

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lacrymas, May 12, 2019.

1. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I'm feeling comfortable now with my knowledge of German grammar, but my vocabulary is still rather poor, and I'd rather do an engaging activity, like playing a game, in German than reading lists of words. So, which games have good translations? I know the Gothics are originally in German and I'm going to play them again in German, any other good games that are originally in German?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Medusa45 Learned

Medusa45
    The Daedalic catalog .

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Turrican :)

Spirit of adventure/Realms of Arkania trilogy, Legend of Faerghail/Fate : Gates of Dawn, Dragonflight/Amberstar/Ambermoon/Albion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Diablo1_reborn Scholar

Diablo1_reborn
    Baldurs Gate 1 and 2

German dub of BG1 was hilarious, since they used voices of the most hillibilly Thuringian and Saxons they could find.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Also Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and 2.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Jagged Alliance 2 has very good translation and voiceovers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    So this is the thread one would come to update his .txt with a list of german speakers on the Codex. Nice job getting them to doxx themselves Lacrymas!

Me? Ich spreche kein deutsch, no sir.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Wir werden ein neues Reich gründen! No idea what you are talking about.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Seriously though, I've had the exact same plan. To learn the basics of German by playing Gothic. I did after all learn English by playing games.

But that was more than 15 years ago. :negative:

I've had some beginner courses since then though, it might be worth it to retry. Not sure if I still suck too much for it to be useful and entertaining.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    When learning a new language it is important that you hear it being spoken. As such I'd recommend you games with plenty of voice acting. Try the new Lucas Arts remakes such as DOTT, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango. I think Sam & Max is also german dubbed. Another good one would be the Broken Sword series. System Shock 2 and Fallout New Vegas also have good translations. Their advantage is that they take place in a modern-ish setting so the words that you will learn are still relevant today. On the other hand some games, usually ones which take place in a medieval or fantasy setting, are going to use a lot of words pertaining to that time period which are mostly useless in a day to day conversation. However you should still go on a case by case basis. For example the Gothic titles have a more "modern" approach to conversation, whereas titles such as TWitcher, while very vocabulary rich, are going to be filled with outdated terms.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I speak German every day, since I'm living in Germany, but my day-to-day conversations are limited vocabulary-wise and I'm not satisfied with the speed at which we are progressing in my German course (it's too slow). I also have to get a solid understanding of it since I'm planning on teaching in a university and continuing my own education here.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    ELEX!

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Planescape Torment.
    BG2.
    I even liked the German dubbing in Jade Empire more...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fronzel Neekburm Erudite Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Thief 1 and 2 had amazing German versions. Unfortunately, they're not sold anywhere (unless you want to buy the old big boxes on ebay), but you can find the necessary files & installation instructions (in German) here.

System Shock 2 also had a pretty good German version, which should be included with the various versions sold on Steam and gog. The initial German version was censored, but NightDive changed it back to match the original version.

In contrast, the late 90s offerings by Interplay were infamous for being absolutely atrocious. Fallout 1 and Starfleet Academy are hilariously bad. The translations are riddled with embarrassing errors and the voice actors sound like they have some severe mental impairment. Also for the original Baldur's Gate, they randomly had the voice actors speak in thick regional dialects for whatever reason. You can play it now and have a laugh, for some it might even be so-bad-it's-good. It certainly adds some unintentional comedy to these games but back in the day when this was the only way to play them (unless you wanted to cough up 100+DM for an import), it was infuriating.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Piranha Bytes games are the only ones I play in German because the original German writing in these is just so great.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    if you didnt know how read english than don't create a acount in a english weebsite

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Divine Blessing Novice

Divine Blessing
    Die literarische Qualität der dt. Übersetzung Original Sin 2 beeindruckte mich als deutschsprachigen Autor. Das umfangreiche Vokabular und die Vielfalt an konstant kontextadäquaten Formulierungen bedingen allerdings zum vollen Genuß der soliden Story, des innovativen RPG-Systems und des konsequent-klassischen CRPG-Gameplays (rundenbasierter Kampf) ein fortgeschrittenes Lernlevel.

• Racist Racist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    some of those piranha bytes games have decent german translations

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Divine Blessing Novice

Divine Blessing
    Piranha Bytes is a german dev. although the writing of any PB-title isnt very elaborated and due to the action-format low in volume (meaning small wordcount), it stills delivers the atmosphere. but neither vocabulary, nor formulations and contexts r demanding, so PB Games only qualify for beginners, not experienced users (OP lives in germany, so he will master any PB title without effort, as every Grundschüler would).

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Black Arcane

Black
    why would you learn a dying language lol

• Funny x 3
    • nice x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • :( x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Final Fantasy IX

Imo prefer it to the englisch one. It uses dialects though for some charachters so no idea how helpful it will be for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Realms of Arkania HD

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lord Commissar Alexer Novice

Lord Commissar Alexer
    Einfach mal diverse Spiele auf Deutsch umstellen und zocken.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    why would you live a dying life

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. moleman Learned Patron

moleman
    The Witcher games have good german translation and voice acting. Although the first game has a different voice actor for Geralt.
    Still both are better than the english "I am Batman" version.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  26. Black Arcane

Black
    Wasn't my choice, dawg.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)