Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a *good* German translation

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I recommend learning German with interviews of football players and managers.

"Ich hatte vom Feeling her ein gutes Gefühl." ... "Mein Problem ist, dass ich immer sehr selbstkritisch bin, auch mir selbst gegenüber." Andi Möller

or Trapattoni who learned absolute perfect German in 1 year

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, everyone hates them because a lot of Germans are low-key xenophobic. And not even low-key, some people go through hell trying to find a place to live here because the landlords aren't willing to rent out their apartments to non-Germans. They are also very distanced and cold, you can't really have a personal relationship with them. And on top of all that, a lot of Germans are quite dumb.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Distanced and cold aren't words I'd ever use to describe any of the Germans I've met in my life. Perhaps you're just obnoxious. Or brown.

But back on-topic:
Fuckin' TEUDOGAR

And if you feel like reading, get the Project Bilingual ebooks by Wolf Pup Books, they're dirt-cheap on amazon.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've decided to replay BG1 in German first and have already learned quite a lot of words and expressions. I'm surprised that I understand quite a lot and don't need to use the dictionary for every sentence, I can also orientate myself in the context quite easily. It's kind of weird they translate given names, like Gellana Spiegelschatten instead of Mirrorshade. Kerzenburg is also quite fun/suspect, but I'll let that one slide. I kinda understand what they are going for, since they are names that are supposed to be fantastical and unusual.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm feeling comfortable now with my knowledge of German grammar, but my vocabulary is still rather poor, and I'd rather do an engaging activity, like playing a game, in German than reading lists of words. So, which games have good translations? I know the Gothics are originally in German and I'm going to play them again in German, any other good games that are originally in German?
Drakensang are great games with pretty hard rtwp combat,the bosses are great frustrating fun and very satisfying once you bet them....if you can. There is a lot of reading and vocabulary was pretty good too....if my memory doesn't play a joke on me. Also anything PB is german. Also Spellforce3 is german,the upcoming expansion will give you a good excuse to play/replay it. The writing in it is amazing!

Burning Bridges

Nah, everyone hates them because a lot of Germans are low-key xenophobic. And not even low-key, some people go through hell trying to find a place to live here because the landlords aren't willing to rent out their apartments to non-Germans. They are also very distanced and cold, you can't really have a personal relationship with them. And on top of all that, a lot of Germans are quite dumb.

You are right, I wouldn't rent out an apartment to you either.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Die literarische Qualität der dt. Übersetzung Original Sin 2 beeindruckte mich als deutschsprachigen Autor. Das umfangreiche Vokabular und die Vielfalt an konstant kontextadäquaten Formulierungen bedingen allerdings zum vollen Genuß der soliden Story, des innovativen RPG-Systems und des konsequent-klassischen CRPG-Gameplays (rundenbasierter Kampf) ein fortgeschrittenes Lernlevel.

Jetzt frage ich mich, wie viele das verstanden haben, selbst mit Autotranslate on :D.

Lacrymas

Lucky for them then, that you are such a prince, eh?

Recommendations:

- Arcanum had a good german translation and the speakers for the voiceovers were quite good. I found the voice actors even better, because they don't use the silly accents of the english original.
- Metal Gear Solid 1 is so bad, it actually trancends back into good. I love this terrible synchro.
- Try the Drakensangs. It doesn't get any more germans than those texts, but they are also wellwritten and fun enough and you get the feeling, that the actors had their fun too, especially in part 2. Same with the games.
- NWN2 has a good translation and the voice actors are good enough. Not perfect, but good.

Last edited:

GewuerzKahn

Savant
Guck nach Point and Click Adventures, wie z. B. Monkey Island 3 oder The Dig.
Die Übersetzungen waren immer ganz gut.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Guck nach Point and Click Adventures, wie z. B. Monkey Island 3 oder The Dig.
Die Übersetzungen waren immer ganz gut.
Dunkle Schatten!

All those all german advertisment adventures by mostly defunct companies like those bank ones or the Knorr one. I remember a few of them being surprisingly decent. Like those *Vision* sci-fi adventures or that one detective one.

But man that brings me back like 20 years...

Astral Rag

Arcane
I recommend learning German with interviews of football players and managers.

"Ich hatte vom Feeling her ein gutes Gefühl." ... "Mein Problem ist, dass ich immer sehr selbstkritisch bin, auch mir selbst gegenüber." Andi Möller

or Trapattoni who learned absolute perfect German in 1 year

Why not learn German and Dutch at the same time?

Burning Bridges

half the words are Dutch but I understand him. You cannot blame him that he speaks German the way he learned it, which is mostly playing by ear.

Burning Bridges

Somebody mentioned adverts, this is worth watching imo. Most of the spots are so old that I had never seen them before.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, those texts aren't quite the vocabulary cornucopias. Goth bands usually have good lyrics, though, like -

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom