Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Games with good "Detective Mechanics"

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Zombra, May 8, 2017.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    I just finished Her Story and my conclusion is that it's not a game.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tom Selleck Arcane

Tom Selleck
    Parrots:
    i think the her story mechanic could be interesting if a) the writing was much, much, much, much, much better b) the acting was much, much better and c) there was something "to actually do" with the information you receive other than like, your own personal edification. Like if you had to "file a report" and put things in a certain order according to your understanding of events and you could get it objectively wrong or something

^ Top  
  3. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I liked where that guy in the first video was going, interesting stuff, but I disagree with him. I haven't tried Her Story yet, maybe I'll make time for it ... but he failed at Crimes & Punishments. It was his fault for playing it like a bad adventure game, spamming combinations of everything instead of thinking about connections that made sense. He probably spammed the case endings too, and just watched them all until he found the correct one. Just because it's possible to brute force a game doesn't mean it's not irresponsible to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Monkey Baron Literate

Monkey Baron
    Parrots:
    I strongly recommend against Dead Secret. It's essentially a glorified walking simulator. I found the story to be predictable and boring, I couldn't help but feel as though a high school student wrote it. There was even the inclusion of random Japanese folk imagery and elements that ultimately contributed nothing to the plot. Just felt really out of place.

I also have a mixed opinion of This Is The Police. I really enjoyed the first few hours but it really drags on afterwards. Admittedly, I got really excited during the Serial Killer case and thought things would pick up again. That conclusion of that plotline left me feeling really disappointed because it was so anti-climatic. I wish they fleshed it out properly, it potentially could've been the best part of the game. The gameplay is just too monotonous for me to recommend, I wish it was half as long but more engaging.

Hated Orwell. It's half as long as TITP but the gameplay is even slower. It would've benefited from voice acting or something to break up the monotony of it all. I don't remember the story too well but I remember being unimpressed. If it was really interesting, I probably could excuse reading IM conversations to reveal critical plot twists.

Recommend against Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit too. Both had interesting premises but fell really flat. I've heard that's a recurring theme for David Cage. God awful writing and (lack of) character development.

I played a bit of Murdered: Soul Suspect. Ran into a game breaking bug an hour or two in that I could never fix so I dropped it. Seemed okay but reminded me a lot of Heavy Rain.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. toro Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    I disagree on acting, I think it was pretty good except that ...

Show Spoiler
    I went from Hannah to Eve in like 5 searches and then the entire story was spoiled for me

To be honest, for like 2 or 3 hours I searched like a maniac because I was sure that I missed some things. In the end, I found out that some things remain simply inexplicable ... and that the entire "investigation" has no real purpose.

Overall the concept is good but the implementation is shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Tom Selleck Arcane

Tom Selleck
    Parrots:
    The initial, like, "gotta get the clues! I'm sure I'm the problem here!" of Her Story is captivating. But like you said, once you spoil the story, it's a flatline from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tom Selleck Arcane

Tom Selleck
    Parrots:
    Actually, now that I think about it, I think like something that is "Her Story meets Spycraft" might be a solid idea.

^ Top  
  8. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)