Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with most intelligent puzzles

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On a related tangent, are there games that make you feel like a real detective (Homes/Agatha Christie characters)?
Crimes & Punishments is excellent. I liked Holmes v. Jack the Ripper and Testament also, although they are more linear.

These aren't "puzzle" games but more detective adventures that actually make you think.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
5Nn9ekt.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cobra Mission: Panic in Cobra City which has the most difficult puzzle of all games: the puzzle of pleasuring a woman!

As you go about your business fighting thugs, abnormal weeaboos and muscle womyn you will from time to time rescue or otherwise win the favour of HOT pixel babes. By using your hand, lips, rotary vibrator, normal vibrator or other amazing gadgets on their specific pleasure zones (you get to aim and click the pixel babe with the mouse in this high-tek hardcore CRPG) you will either increase or deplete her pleasure meter. The sexing operates on some highly sophisticated know-how of femoid sexuality. Do it in the RIGHT sequence and you unlock READY TO GO!! mode which grants steamy, sexy hardcore pics. Do it WRONG and you get PC Speaker shrieks and angry comments. The puzzle to please womyn is WAY above my INT stat so just like in real life, I mostly just got results like this:

DZzmwLq.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Kalin Thanks for reminding me of the 'trial-and-error' aspect of Cobra Mission's 'erotic endeavours'. Unlike reality, if you screw up (instead of just screwing) with one of the girls in the game, you can just ring them up again and try again from the start.

Curratum

So is Obra Dinn good? It looked slow and dull when I watched bits of gameplay.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
So is Obra Dinn good? It looked slow and dull when I watched bits of gameplay.

There are no action sequences, you are only observing them. It is for all sakes and purposes a walking simulator, but it's one with a purpose. You are reconstructing the series of events that caused the Obra Dinn to be lost at sea. It sounds pretty ho-hum at the start, but it won't take long for something to appear that changes all of that.

It's also a test of your deduction skills, which pains a great many people as they don't have them and would rather go pew-pew something instead.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A Fool's Errand was mentioned, but a game made in the same engine was not. Are We There Yet!? is a road trip puzzle game. Its mostly the same except it has more weird word puzzles. The word searches in those games were such crap. The rest of the game is mostly intelligent. Mostly.
Bram Stoker's Dracula (DOS) makes interesting use of the limitations of a Wolfenstein 3D-style engine. If that engine was used to make a Dungeon Master clone in "real" space.
I feel like there's a ton more, but after the Aha! moment, they seem to disappear from my mind.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
A Fool's Errand was mentioned, but a game made in the same engine was not. Are We There Yet!? is a road trip puzzle game. Its mostly the same except it has more weird word puzzles. The word searches in those games were such crap. The rest of the game is mostly intelligent. Mostly.
Bram Stoker's Dracula (DOS) makes interesting use of the limitations of a Wolfenstein 3D-style engine. If that engine was used to make a Dungeon Master clone in "real" space.
I feel like there's a ton more, but after the Aha! moment, they seem to disappear from my mind.

3 in Three had math-based puzzles, since you brought up A Fool's Errand.

Speaking of word searches, there's a brilliant bit in Spellcasting 101 where you're supposed to find people names in everyday objects and dispose of them via magic. A fully manned automobile for example is Carmen.

spectre

Arcane

This one felt rather novel and refreshing as far as puzzle games are concerned.

I always considered commandos-esque games to be puzzle, do yourself a treat and grab Blades of the Shogun or the newest Desperados III from the same dev if you're into that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom