Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with the Best Necropoli

Puukko

Arcane
I'm interested in what RPGs have the best cities/dungeons of the dead, the kind where each floor presents worse undead horrors than than the one before it, where you can be sure to fight liches and undead dragons. It doesn't have to be strictly exclusively undead, but that should be the prevailing theme, and it should have more than just bog standard walking bones.

My two examples come from JRPGs and neither quite fit the bill, but they're close enough. First one is Bitterblack Isle from Dragon's Dogma, which is equal parts filled with demons and mythological creatures as it is with the undead, but you do wade through gutters of infested flesh, hunted by cursed rotting dragons and the literal Reaper while fighting liches, so it does get pretty high scores. Second one is the Necrohol from FF12, which is a former city of glory, now abandoned and half sunken with (rather lame) liches abound, but again mostly filled with minor demons and malfunctioning constructs, so it only gets a B- on the bone scale.

Goromorg

Savant
Not exactly necropoli, but Diablo 1&2 as well as Path of Exile have pretty cool tombs and ruins filled with undead.
Dark Messiah has city of necromancers and a proper necropolis with ghouls, vampire knights, liches and even undead cyclops and a skeletal dragon.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the first act in Icewind Dale 1 takes place in a vale with crypts full of undead. It's low level so no dragons, but it has skeletons, mummies, ghasts, shades, undead mages, different kinds of wights etc.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Cant beat the undead opera

Ahhh it looks like a fucking carnival,but the music is good. MM3 Necropolis is a lot better visually,it is not cringy.

hqdefault.jpg

Puukko
If you want dungeons,well MM6 and MM8 does have some great undead dungeons. Corlagon's estate,Tomb of Ethric the mad and Castle Darkmoor are all great dungeons!

Dorateen

Arcane
Death Knights of Krynn is a veritable ode to fighting against the undead. One highlight is when the party gets to visit the village of Dulicmer, which is a mirror to the town Cerberus only filled with undead. They go about their existence in a charade of the living, which included undead children playing in the streets, senseless farming activities and raising zombified poultry. The mayor of the village turns out to be a lich, and the party has to even find its phylactery before the lich can be truly destroyed.

This was a well done area with appropriately creepy atmosphere.

16-DKK_3_9.png

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Buried Ruins in Swordflight Chapter I. It's 99.99% undead, and I can't think of any low level crawls that are its equal.

It's a meatgrinder dungeon with puzzles, secrets, tough combat and an emphasis on resource management. It also features a point of no return, forcing the player to push on.

Two of the toughest enemies do not need to be fought.

mummy%2Bwarrior%2Bramurg.jpg

MotB's Death God's Vault is good for epic levels, but it's too easy.

death%2Blords.jpg

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Buried Ruins in Swordflight Chapter I. It's 99.99% undead, and I can't think of any low level crawls that are its equal.

It's a meatgrinder dungeon with puzzles, secrets, tough combat and an emphasis on resource management. It also features a point of no return, forcing the player to push on.

I don't even like NWN but that's a genuinely great tomb crawl.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Durgan’s Battery and Concelhaut’s tower from Pillars 1 White March expansion is an atypical undead smash and grab midlevel campaign. Undead dwarves and their animated constructs and a lich and his apprentice s. Best part of that game.

Incendax

Augur
Most lich fights make me weep. They make liches into bags of HP that cast spells, instead of the cunning and intelligent enemies they should be. Granted, there is always room for stupid or impulsive liches, but the number of well presented liches in games is really low.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Not Grim Dawn. I think Malmouth was even a better necropolis than the Necropolis.

deama

Prophet
I guess you can always make your own in dungeon keeper.

Doesn't grim dawn have that dlc that adds some necromancy city?

Last edited:

mohrg

Novice
Pool of Radiance RoMD: huge city full of undead, (draco)liches included. The game has its detractors, but for me the ambientation is unique.

zapotec

Liturgist
RAvenloft the stone prophet and Wizard & Warriors.

The first dungeon of the 2nd game i wrote is a nice crypt plus an asylum for plague victims?

laclongquan

Arcane
Most lich fights make me weep. They make liches into bags of HP that cast spells, instead of the cunning and intelligent enemies they should be. Granted, there is always room for stupid or impulsive liches, but the number of well presented liches in games is really low.

In BG2, with SCS mod, lich start of with a barrage of defensive spells, then summon fallen deva, and dragon breath, and comet. If you are under level for that, you might as well run away since Fallen Deva can hit hard, hit often, and vorpal hit is knocking you down like free beer mugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom