Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games Workshop 7th Ed

GreyViper

Prophet
So its all true what you heard about 7h ed and its even wackier. All I have to say is wtf GW.
Watch and wonder.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I hope they fucking die.
THey fucked over Relic by not renewing the licensing.
Relic actually released a few good games too. They fucking GOT Orks like a muthafucka.

Gozma

Arcane
Didn't the force organization stuff come in for like, 4th edition? The only limits I remember from third were a few high level officer types being 0-1.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Didn't the force organization stuff come in for like, 4th edition? The only limits I remember from third were a few high level officer types being 0-1.
AFAIK 3d also had limits in HQ, troops, fast attack and so on.

Misconnected

Savant
It's interesting to read the fansites these days. The sheer volume of raw GW hatred is impressive.

Tytus

Arcane
cheese-871.gif

Caim

Arcane
A properly build Daemons of Tzeentch army can use the new rules to multiply itself exponentially, possibly creating dozens of units of Horrors, several Heralds who in turn become Lords of Change, who summon more Horrors.

With 1850 points you can start at Mastery Level 35.

What the fuck, GW.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You can just play the old ones, they don't stop existing because the new shit came out.
The main benefit of GW games is that due to their popularity it's very easy to find opponents. If you're not going to take advantage of that by playing the latest version, you're probably better off with an entirely different set of rules that aren't designed primarily to sell figures :)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A properly build Daemons of Tzeentch army can use the new rules to multiply itself exponentially, possibly creating dozens of units of Horrors, several Heralds who in turn become Lords of Change, who summon more Horrors.

With 1850 points you can start at Mastery Level 35.

What the fuck, GW.

Nobody uses that combination.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
So stoked -- had some unexpected overtime and blew it all on a Dark Vengeance set, 6th edition rules and chaos/dark angel/ork codices, and a Warpainter Mega paint kit.
havent played or painted in years, dont have any supplies anymore, but came in at $200 with enough to get me and the kid started playing again.

Finally going to finish the plague marine/deathguard army back in the day.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
It can be moneys if you dont play it smart.
my last nurgle army cost me less than $150 for 2000 points, most of that coming from being creative with the thrift stores and chinese toy bits. the wysiwyg mindset is great for people willing to look outside the box. Though i have plenty friends who spent over 1k just on models for their army not including paints and supplies. but i spent over 300 hours just with the army i never finished, and very much enjoyed the process of learning how to paint and bash.
kind of like how you can buy a game like nwn and spend tons of time on modules for your initial investment, or you can buy 10 regular games and get the same value.
different perks for different jerks.
but i laugh at the dumbfucks who buy their armies just like those in Magic who just buy the most expensive cards and metagame. sore loser mentality.

HitPepper

Erudite
A local store finally started selling Warhammer stuff. Any pointers on where I should get started on the painting, or maybe which sets? I saw a decent one that comes with several paints and 3 space marines (it's not on the GW website), I'm not looking to build a giant army right now, just get started on the modeling side and get to grips with the process.

Caim

Arcane
A local store finally started selling Warhammer stuff. Any pointers on where I should get started on the painting, or maybe which sets? I saw a decent one that comes with several paints and 3 space marines (it's not on the GW website), I'm not looking to build a giant army right now, just get started on the modeling side and get to grips with the process.
The thing is that a fair deal of the armies paint differently.

- Space Marines tend to have large, flat surfaces with the occasional bling. Replace bling with spikes and horns for Chaos Marines.
- Daemons have a lot of skin, and some tend to have horns and claws that have one color flow into the other.
- Eldar have armor with pads that have to be accented, and their vehicles have flat surfaces with the occational grooves. Also don't paint Harlequins if you don't want to hate yourself.
- Dark Eldar have lots of skin, leather, spikes and very sharp edges.
- Orks have a wild variety of cloth and armor that's made to look like it is just bolted together. Which it frequently is.
- Tau have mostly large angular plates of armor mixed with metallic (or cloth if it's infantry) bits here and there.
- Imperial Guard have a mix of uniforms and large vehicles that can be mostly the same color.
- Tyranids are all chitin, sinew and flesh.
- The Adeptus Mechanicus have a lot of exposed machinery alongside large plates of armor.
- Necrons are easy as fuck to paint: metallic basecoat, black wash, apply green where needed.

Space Marines are amongst the easiest to paint, alongside Tau, Necrons and a tank-heavy force of Imperial Guard. The paints + 3 Marines kit is a good place to start, mainly to get a hang of how that works. Do note that these kits are very light on the modelling part: if those are the Marines that I think they are you just got to clip the bolter on and you can call it a day. A Marine from the Tactical Squad box however can easily be 10 parts, more if you want something fancy.

Also, while you might feel the urge to clip the bits out and assemble a miniature before painting: don't. It'll only make things more difficult. Leave them on the sprue and paint them there, they're far easier to handle that way.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If you want to start Space Marines, the self-contained The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth seems to be an option. It contains a fair amount of plastic for the price and some painting guides (from GW and for free on the web).

Neanderthal

Arcane
Are Citadel Miniatures worth money nowadays then? Still got all me old stuff up in loft, old lead figures, shit ton of Dwarves, lots o them MERP ones that they put out wi each figure portrayed mounted and unmounted, them Knights of Law, big arse two part Balrog from MERP, Court of Dwarven King who I think Heinrich Kimmler killed if I remember right. Oh and a few Thrud figures in different poses, and the Champions Eternal pack. Is this worth a bit o gelt?

Oh and got that special Thorgrim Branedim figure from Ziggurat of Doom, one you had to send off for wi coupon that you got in gamebox of WFB, holding warhammer and curling his finger wi other hand as if saying come at me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom