Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline games you liked back then, but dislike now

Martyr

Arcane
recently I noticed that I do not enjoy playing some of the games that I once loved. that's a shame, but it is how it is. somehow my taste in games seems to have changed and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with that "problem".
so let's share our experiences within this subject !

Diablo
if I may quote myself:
the only things that I remembered about the first Diablo was that it had amazing dark atmosphere and a great fitting soundtrack, so I bought it the second it was released on gog (despite owning the retail version).
yesterday I've finally finished that game and my god, I don't think I'll play it again in the next 20-30 years. gameplay-wise Diablo 2 is so much better that it isn't even funny anymore.
not being able to run, the inventory full of multiple stacks of money, only one row of quick-inventory slots and having to click the mouse for every single attack made this game a chore to play through.
so after years and years of thinking that Diablo was a somewhat enjoyable popamole-RPG (aka "action-RPG") I realised that I strongly dislike this game.

Mount & Blade: Warband
holy fuck, I played this game for 960 hours and yesterday I decided to play it again after a one year break but uninstalled it after playing for FOURTEEN minutes !!!!
I was fighting against bandits and militia of the Khanat Kaergit and chasing those bow-wielding fuckers on their super fast horses, plus seeing my sword bounce off of enemies and walls like it was made of rubber, almost made me puke. then I went into an Arena fight and all the enemies were riding into the walls and getting stuck. stopped right there, that game seemed awful in those 14 minutes.

update: the struggle was real but I'm enjoying M&B again.

Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
another past favorite of mine. I don't know why, but I lost interest in this game as soon as I got my lightsaber. also I got lost all the fucking time.
I.
GOT.
LOST.

other people breathe air, I breathe Wolfenstein 3D. I don't get lost in first person shooters. ever!

update: all is well again. still love Jedi Knight.

Ultima 7: The Black Gate
I didn't remember anything about Ultima 7 other than the fact that I liked it. but somehow DosBox seems to fuck the game's speed up, everything is too fast and my party members are literally starving all the time. initially I wanted to google solutions to that problem but then I entered a cave and encountered a unicorn that talks about virgins and sex, which is beyond retarded. lost all will to play this game ever again right at that point with the unicorn.

update: U7 is da best.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
No such games for me, and you sound like you've had a (severe) case of accelerated aging. Happens.

Martyr

Arcane

hah, by Drog ! I made a thread similar to one by the legendary Drog! :D
you're right, they're pretty similar, but his thread seems to be about games that didn't age well. mine is more about the gamer and less about the game. for example: I always hated the Khanat Kaergit and the fighters in the arena always got stuck in the walls, but for some reason I didn't mind in the past, but I do so now.
I can't believe that I'm the only one who's experiencing this.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The inverse is easier: Thief series, Half-Life - oh shit that's a short list - are yearly regulars. Liek ur mom.

Other games I let pass for a decade for dat glorious amnesia effect. Most games though I do revisit barely survive longer than one hour.

Tovias

Learned
holy fuck, I played this game for 960 hours and yesterday I decided to play it again after a one year break but uninstalled it after playing for FOURTEEN minutes !!!!
I was fighting against bandits and militia of the Khanat Kaergit and chasing those bow-wielding fuckers on their super fast horses, plus seeing my sword bounce off of enemies and walls like it was made of rubber, almost made me puke. then I went into an Arena fight and all the enemies were riding into the walls and getting stuck. stopped right there, that game seemed awful in those 14 minutes.
My man, you are a dumb mother fucker. How is weapon collision a negative trait. I hope that you look back and learn from your mistakes since those 960 hours seem to have been in vain.
Now, on the topic. I've had a lot of trouble getting back into Silent Storm due to how painful long turns become a couple of hours into the game. I really wish it could at least allow me to tab out of the game without it pausing while civilian #12 takes three steps.

Vincente

Arbiter

I literally cannot think of an insult sufficient enough to mock this retarded opinion.

Martyr

Arcane
My man, you are a dumb mother fucker. How is weapon collision a negative trait. I hope that you look back and learn from your mistakes since those 960 hours seem to have been in vain.

I'm not talking about weapon collision, I'm talking about the lack thereof:

seeing my sword bounce off of enemies and walls like it was made of rubber

sometimes if you hit a wall, or if there are too many enemies or too many of your own troops (with friendly fire turned off) your weapon bounces back before hitting anything. it doesn't make a sound, there's no visible impact, it just hits an invisible wall mid-air and flies back without doing any damage.

Martyr

Arcane

I literally cannot think of an insult sufficient enough to mock this retarded opinion.
well, try your hardest.
also be so kind to explain what exactly was retarded? the rubber-weapons or the dumb AI? seems like the game's fault, not like mine.

Vincente

Arbiter

well, try your hardest.
also be so kind to explain what exactly was retarded? the rubber-weapons or the dumb AI? seems like the game's fault, not like mine.

Because none of the complaints you had was technical whatsoever, sounds like you got your ass handed to you, then joined an Arena fight for some reason, saw the AI and closed the game in a bitchfit.

The game does have collision, in fact it's the reason why you don't ''deal damage'' when it goes through a wall in any point of the animation. The speed calculator thinks your weapon halted when it hit a wall and doesn't register any damage. For this reason you can block weapon attacks with your blade, if you swing it at the right moment, in the same direction as your opponent and vice versa. Or what else do you want, you want to hit your own troops with your blade in the heat of the battle? Or chop up dozens of men in a single swing? What do you think this is, Dynasty Warriors? On the other hand, while Steppe Bandits can be ''hard'', horse archer AI is non existant in Native and horse archers ride straight towards you while firing their bows, their horses, Steppe Horses, are one of the slowest variant of equestrian in the game, but Warband isn't a type of game where you should quit when you fight against overwhelming odds, you don't lose the game when you get captured. Khergit Khanate steppes is probably the hardest starting area after coasts of Vaegirs, with Sea Raiders and Tundra Bandits, you could have left the steppes, pick an easier starting area, and start again.

The only valid opinion you had was retarded AI, then again, I fail to see how this can effect gameplay, Arena pays fuckall in Native (as you should know because you have 960 hours in it), and there are mods that can fix the AI if bumping the AI difficulty doesn't do it for you. You can say that ''Well it's game's fault that AI is terrible, I shouldn't have to use mods!'', but it wouldn't prove anything, because the AI is such a small fraction of how deep the ocean of a game Warband is. Game isn't about ''perfect'' AI having one versus one in an Arena setting.

Mustawd

the first GTA is garbage and a PITA to play. The novelty of the game was doing stuff that is quite common in today’s games and done infinitely better.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
RPGs.

fc4.jpg

Yes, I'm serious.

It's not because I think they're terrible or anything, but because they're such a huge time investment, and give too little back. I have played many of them and enjoyed some of the finest. The last (real) RPGs I played? I played the Ravenloft games last year (because I had promised myself to do so) and Wasteland 2 two years ago. The Ravenloft games were barely worth it (so I made a thread about it to inform others), but Wasteland 2 most certainly was, but it was a HUGE timesink for me. (Disclaimer: I'm currently playing Grim Dawn but that doesn't even register as a RPG for me, so there.)

I don't feel any urge to play RPGs anymore, with the exception of a few stand-out titles like Ultima 7 (which I haven't played in at least 15 years). Speaking of which:

Ultima 7: The Black Gate
I didn't remember anything about Ultima 7 other than the fact that I liked it. but somehow DosBox seems to fuck the game's speed up, everything is too fast and my party members are literally starving all the time. initially I wanted to google solutions to that problem but then I entered a cave and encountered a unicorn that talks about virgins and sex, which is beyond retarded. lost all will to play this game ever again right at that point with the unicorn.

You don't use DOSBox to play Ultima 7, you use Exult. Exult is specifically designed to run this beast of a game, and does a damn good job of it (though you'll have to use the daily snapshots instead of the latest stable build). There's even a (outdated) thread about it here on the Codex.

With that said, Exult is not doing its job 100%. Ultima 7 sadly is one of a handful of games that is still best played on an old MS-DOS PC with the appropriate boot disk at the ready. Mad respect if you can do that, and yes... Ultima 7 is a game deserving of going to such lengths. I strongly encourage you to try playing it again. For example, the Avatar can talk to the unicorn because he's a virgin... but you do remember the House of Baths in Buccaneer's Den, don't you? Have you tried visiting the unicorn after enjoying the services of the House of Baths?

Ultima 7 is full of such moments. It's a game that in some ways was so ahead of its time that it still hasn't been matched by video games of today.

But yeah... I'm pretty much done with RPGs. I'm open to checking out a good one if it comes my way, but I hope you'll understand when I say that it's unlikely at this point.

Martyr

Arcane

well, try your hardest.

Because none of the complaints you had was technical whatsoever, sounds like you got your ass handed to you, then joined an Arena fight for some reason, saw the AI and closed the game in a bitchfit.

The game does have collision, in fact it's the reason why you don't ''deal damage'' when it goes through a wall in any point of the animation. The speed calculator thinks your weapon halted when it hit a wall and doesn't register any damage. For this reason you can block weapon attacks with your blade, if you swing it at the right moment, in the same direction as your opponent and vice versa. Or what else do you want, you want to hit your own troops with your blade in the heat of the battle? Or chop up dozens of men in a single swing? What do you think this is, Dynasty Warriors? On the other hand, while Steppe Bandits can be ''hard'', horse archer AI is non existant in Native and horse archers ride straight towards you while firing their bows, their horses, Steppe Horses, are one of the slowest variant of equestrian in the game, but Warband isn't a type of game where you should quit when you fight against overwhelming odds, you don't lose the game when you get captured. Khergit Khanate steppes is probably the hardest starting area after coasts of Vaegirs, with Sea Raiders and Tundra Bandits, you could have left the steppes, pick an easier starting area, and start again.

The only valid opinion you had was retarded AI, then again, I fail to see how this can effect gameplay, Arena pays fuckall in Native (as you should know because you have 960 hours in it), and there are mods that can fix the AI if bumping the AI difficulty doesn't do it for you. You can say that ''Well it's game's fault that AI is terrible, I shouldn't have to use mods!'', but it wouldn't prove anything, because the AI is such a small fraction of how deep the ocean of a game Warband is. Game isn't about ''perfect'' AI having one versus one in an Arena setting.

I've got 960 hours on Warband, do you really think I got my ass handed to me by some bandits and deserters? nope, I won both fights. and I won the Arena fight, too. tbh I don't even have to do anything in a battle anymore, since my troops kill all the enemies.
I never complained about Warband being difficult, because it isn't. not even if you start out with only your character and no troops.
what I did was try to kill Khanat Kaergit horsemen but all they did was ride around the battlefield, which lead to never ending chases. untill they hit a tree or another soldier and got stuck.
that, plus the non-collision swings plus the dumb arena AI made me realize that I don't want to play this game anymore.

I don't think you know what I mean when I talk about "rubber weapons" and them "not having collision", because what you're talking about has nothing to do with what I'm saying.
try any of these scenarios:
- try to swing your weapon over your head while your surrounded by troops. doesn't matter if hostile or not
- " while you have a wall directly behind you
- " while you have a low ceiling over your head

what happens, is this:
JPf05Au.jpg
you're trying to do the black arrow. but in reality you're hitting the invisible wall mid-air (red marker) and your weapon bounces back, so the green arrow is the reality.

and about the AI: I do the Arena fights because I want to have fun, not because I want make money. and I certainly don't want to slaughter enemies who are staring at walls, from behind.
I'm sure there are mods to fix the AI, but that's not exactly an argument for the game's quality, is it?

Martyr

Arcane
the first GTA is garbage and a PITA to play. The novelty of the game was doing stuff that is quite common in today’s games and done infinitely better.

oh right, GTA ! I've recently tried to play GTA 2, 3, Vice City and San Andreas and out of all these games I only enjoyed 2, the rest of them I don't like anymore.

Unkillable Cat I knew of Exult's existance before I played Ultima 7 in DosBox, but I prefer to play the vanilla versions of the games, if possible. and now after I've talked to that unicorn I don't want to play Ultima 7 either way. and nope, I don't remember anything about a bathhouse. replaying Ultima 7 actually would have been pretty much like playing it for the first time, for better or for worse.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Last time I checked Exult fixes the speed, audio playback and so much more.

My problems with it involved random crashes. I spent way too much time back in 1993 to get it running without them, so coming across that problem AGAIN 20+ years later was a little too much for me.

(I still have that Ultimate Ultima 7 Boot disk BTW. I handcrafted that thing with a mouse driver that only used 6 Kb of memory, which was a godsend for such a resource-intensive game as U7.)

Swigen

Arbiter
Fighting games. Back in the ps2 days I grabbed all the KoF collections and Capcom anthologies, bought a few fight sticks, poured over frame data, but nowadays every fighting game I’ve played has been uninstalled within 15 minutes. Dunno what it is, just find them boring as fuck.

Mustawd

oh right, GTA ! I've recently tried to play GTA 2, 3, Vice City and San Andreas and out of all these games I only enjoyed 2, the rest of them I don't like anymore.

I enjoyed San Andreas and Vice City. GTA3 was....ok. No where near as good as I remembered it.

Haven’t played GTA2 cuz Im scared it will suck when I replay it.

Martyr

Arcane
Fighting games. Back in the ps2 days I grabbed all the KoF collections and Capcom anthologies, bought a few fight sticks, poured over frame data, but nowadays every fighting game I’ve played has been uninstalled within 15 minutes. Dunno what it is, just find them boring as fuck.

yup, the only fighting games that I could play for more than 5 minutes in the past couple of years were the first three Mortal Kombats. imo they are pretty difficult and I didn't want to be beaten by such old video games, so I kept on playing.

I enjoyed San Andreas and Vice City. GTA3 was....ok. No where near as good as I remembered it.

Haven’t played GTA2 cuz Im scared it will suck when I replay it.
yeah, it's not like they're really bad or anything, but the enjoyment I get out of them nowadays is just too little. when it was released, I played San Andreas for months and months and didn't get bored. last time I played it I uninstalled it after 11-14 hours or something like that.

if wen're not going to fish among the ancient pre-history, when i was a kid, my answer is "none, my tastes have always been perfect".

Vincente

Arbiter
I never complained about Warband being difficult, because it isn't. not even if you start out with only your character and no troops.
what I did was try to kill Khanat Kaergit horsemen but all they did was ride around the battlefield, which lead to never ending chases. untill they hit a tree or another soldier and got stuck.

So you complained because horse archers did what they did since era of Genghis, being annoying hit and run skirmish units? I can't understand your logic here. You're saying that AI is so dumb that they get stuck next to Arena walls, yet when they act how they should act, it becomes annoying?

what happens, is this:

I know what happens, I have 1k+ hours on Warband as well. You're saying when the weapon hits something midair or a friendly troop, it stops halfway through the animation. Or if you give your back to a wall, and swing your, let's say, bardiche overhead, it stops midair as well. I'm saying that it's because weapons have collision, and if it hits anything midair, even touches it, it counts as a hit and the game calculates whether is a ''hittable'' something or not. In the same scenario, if you had an enemy behind you, and you swung your bardiche while holding tilde in an overhead motion, it will hit the enemy. It's true however your weapon will bounce off like a rubber weapon when you hit a friendly, but it's for quality of life purposes.

I do the Arena fights because I want to have fun, not because I want make money. and I certainly don't want to slaughter enemies who are staring at walls, from behind.

The only time this happens is when the AI rides a horse in a closed area, and unlike tourneys, Arena fights don't have horsemen in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom