Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline games you liked back then, but dislike now

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Martyr, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    You forgot to mention your new found interest in mobile games to really go fully with your Zoomer LARP.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I used to love point and click adventure games in their heyday, and I rarely play them now. Even the classics I don't replay very often. I'm not sure why this is as I still like the genre. I guess I just have more limited time and RPGs and FPS games take precedence. Also I can have patience issues with the "click on everything to find what you missed" stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    AoE2, WLBC2, most RTS really. SupCom spoiled me. Disliked might not really be the right word, but I have a hard time enjoying them now. I was feeling nostalgic a few months back and reinstalled WLBC2 and I had to quit shortly into the first match; the gameplay was painfully bad compared to SupCom.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Any old-school JRPG,i can't stand repetitive random encounters anymore.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Oh yeah, good one. When I was a NES and SNES kid I loved shit like Final Fantasy and Crono Trigger, but going back to that shit is almost impossible. Horrible random spam battles, grinding bullshit and immature emo stories I thought were deep at 14 but certainly don't now. Great music though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    my logic is, that yes, horse archers being "annoying hit and run skirmish units" annoys me very much. if it's fun to you to run after those fuckers until they get stuck in a tree or in another horse archer, then good for you. I actually play games like this to kill enemies, not to endlessly chase them.

but the weapon doesn't hit anything midair: what's there could be called a "would be collision". the game seems to recognize that there will be a collision or that there should have been one (for example when friendly troops are behind you) and so the animation stops without hitting the enemy in front of you or the animation stops after your sword would have already hit one of your troops or the ceiling. that's still not proper collision, though.

yeah, I'm not talking about the arena fights in which you have to beat 40 enemies in a single round, but tbh they're also retarded. each time you do one of those, it's you and 3 others at the beginning. and instead of fighting each other, these 3 bots are completely fixated on the player character and they all go after you. again, that's not difficult, just annoying. all you have to do is run backwards and swing your weapon over your head at the one who's the nearest to you.
    what I was talking about are the arena fights in which you can place a bet on yourself at the beginning of each round. those fights had the potential to be less annoying than the ones in open fields, since the area is much smaller and chasing horse archers wouldn't be so time consuming. but nope, wasted potential. all you have to do is ride in circles until everyone gets stuck in a wall, go behind them and hit them until they're dead. much wow, so challenge.

and it's not like these problems occur every once in a while, they're present all the time. after taking a one year break of this game I immediately recognized the dumb AI and the rubber weapons and thought "not this shit again". I don't have the patience to endure this game any longer. or at least, at this moment. who knows, maybe I'll be putting another 960 hours into this game in the future? but right now that seems highly unlikely.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Kotor 1 and 2. Used to like because having a RPG set in the Star Wars universe was SO COOL. Now I can't get past the extremely shitty gameplay.

And yeah, most jRPGs I used to play are a no go nowadays.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    I own neither a mobile phone, nor a tablet. I've never played a mobile game in my life. and I don't even know what "Zoomer" means.

I also have a love/hate relationship with adventure games. I find it impossible to play them without walkthroughs but I still play them from time to time. mostly because I find them relaxing and some of them have a really brilliant atmosphere.

Kotor 2 could have been an extremely good combatfag RPG, if the combat actually was challenging and if itemization would've been better. you can literally beat the game with a normal sword if you know how to skill your character properly.
    but I still replay Kotor 2 regularly because that edgy, nihilistic take on the Star Wars franchise is just too good.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    If anything I keep getting more and more blown away by how good the old games were when I keep going back to them. Feels like we took a lot for granted, but lots of old games had really elegant and smart design.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Abhay Savant

Abhay
    Except for GTA 2 and San Andreas, the rest of the games, incl modern titles like 4 and 5. Reason: Boring and highly repetitive. GTA 2 and SA has everything (and much more) to offer than the rest of the titles in the series.

Wolf, Wasteland 1, and several such puxelated, very old titles mainly because of the dated feel of those games - hard to get into them now. There are better alternatives available as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    agreed.
    the reason why I only mention old-ish games is that I almost exclusively play old games.
    don't even get me started on new games. if I wanted to, I could writes whole novels about what's wrong with games like Skyrim or Bard's Tale 4.

^ Top  
  12. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Skyrim is old hat now, but you should write what you didn't like about BT4. I actually did somewhat enjoy the game, but I also enjoy long and well thought out write ups of what people thought went right/wrong with a game.

^ Top  
  13. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    in short: ugly character models with stiff animations, too much emphasis on puzzles in a supposed blobber, dumbed down gameplay (quest compass, indicator above enemies showing their difficulty, signs where to use one of the melodies aren't always necessary, no full party creation from beginning, party creation in pub limited by coins, enemies acting strange in combat for example by just switching one tile without attacking or entirely skipping a turn)

^ Top  
  14. Vlajdermen Scholar

Vlajdermen
    Kingdoms of Amalur. When I was 14 I thought this game was hot shit; it was my first western RPG, and the first game I played for 5+ hours without interruption. I thought the art style was awesome, the gameplay was fun and addicting, and the quests and sideplots were interesting.

Last time, I played it for 10 minutes before fucking off to ELEX.

Show Spoiler
    Happy Easter

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. purpleblob Savant

purpleblob
    Dragon Age: Origins. I enjoyed it a lot when it was first released, could never get past Brecillian Forest/Orzamma in my replays - not sure what I liked it so much in my first playthrough anymore.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Morrowind maybe. It has steadily declined on my list of top games. Or rather, it may be the idea of Morrowind that has grown less appealing to me, since I haven't actually played it in at least 10 years.

Also Gold Box games. I think I played far too many FRUA modules, and I haven't recovered from the overdose yet.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    what are your thoughts on Daggerfall?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Worth it only for the character generation and the first dungeon. Those randomly generated spaghetti dungeons were less fun than Oblivion's copy pasted ones.
    May be worth playing through the whole MQ now that you can play a stable version and not fall into the void.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    hah, I've also never completed the main questline although I've been playing Daggerfall for the past 16 years. :lol:

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    You've got a point here, hah.

Mount & Blade is fun when you ride with army decked in heavy armor killing shit. Its early game I wouldn't recommend to anybody, back then or now.

(then again, name a thinking man's game where early game is NOT shit?)

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Martyr Prophet

Martyr
    it only lasts for ~2 minutes, but slaughtering the helpless merchants right at the beginning of a chaotic evil playthrough in Temple of Elemental Evil is fun. :D
    other than that, yup: early game in any game is mostly annoying or boring or both.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Xeon Liturgist

Xeon
    I normally don't play older games I liked so not to ruin my memories of them because of nostalgia.

So the only game I think I used to like but dislike now and still occasionally play because of import is Baldur's Gate 1. I used to love BG1 and hate BG2 but for some reason after understanding the rules a little better I started to dislike BG1 and like BG2 better.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. luj1 You're all shills

luj1

None

For me, the opposite is the case. There is so much rubbish today that I'd rather play something I disliked back then

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. deama Arbiter

deama
    I used to really like Gothic 3, but now just thinking about it makes me nauseous.

A long while ago I got addicted to fable the lost chapters, I replayed it 21 times in a row, I still have no idea how I managed to keep plaything through it. I remember a couple of years back I tried playing through it again but when the main menu came up, I just uninstalled it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    They weren't designed for replay value.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)