Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaming and treadmills

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Nog Robbin, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Nog Robbin Scholar

Nog Robbin
    Found this through the BBC website. Some interesting opinions on gaming and the use of treadmills, mostly aimed at MMO's but with some relevance to single player games.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2007/04/23/th ... ent-121731

^ Top  
  2. katzenjammer Novice

katzenjammer
    I still find Progress Quest to be the most philosophically elegant refutation of the grinding paradigm in RPGs.

^ Top  
  3. merry andrew Erudite

merry andrew
    I've been playing Guild Wars a lot lately and it's fun to watch people treat it like the WoW variety.

I'm level 20 and all of my max armor is dyed black and I have The Awesome Sword of Flaming Uberness!

Too bad you suck.

^ Top  
  4. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    WoW is up to 8 million? Jesus.

What's there to say? Koster's analysis is correct. I guess it bodes well for the single player games I favor, since they don't have the challenge and humiliation of PvP games, which the mainstream will always find bitter. Skill in single player games is like untying knots - you just have to care enough to pay attention and pull at loose strings until the game falls apart. Even people that favor a game of skill dislike 99% of the other games of skill available to them, because they'd lose at them.

Undirected "games" are toy-like and depend on novelty rather than the kind of predictable craft you can budget into a game, and are therefore hard to blockbusterize.

^ Top  
  5. Fez Erudite

Fez
    The Sims worked the balance between toy and game well, judging by the sales for it.

^ Top  
  6. MisterStone Arcane

MisterStone
    My favorite is Statbuilder... oldy but goody!

The old website is gone, but it is still hosted on some freeware sites... see below.

http://www.free-games-fun.com/games/Statbuilder

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)