Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gates of Hell - from the creators of Men of War

Aemar

Arcane
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507867056

http://barbed-wire.eu

From the creators of Men of War, Gates of Hell arrives with unmatched immersion, historical campaigns and dynamic multiplayer battles. GoH offers revamped infantry dynamics, accurate reworked ballistics and much more, including community requested features like combat improvements and expanded factions in its upgraded engine. Shift between RTS and Top-down Third person direct control modes and use the total destructibility of landscapes to revive the most intense portrayal of World War II.

Gates of Hell is a historical/realism action-based RTS based on the powerful GEM2 game engine by Best Way.

Gates of Hell aims to attract all fans of previous Men of War games. In addition, GoH has a much more comfortable learning curve, aiming to target newcomers to RTS games and also players from other RTS which seek a new experience. The time has come to experience the combat you've always desired, tantalisingly recreated, no detail ignored. Passionately reinvented to give the most heart-rending portrayal of warfare to date. It will be bloody, it will be gritty, it will be war in the raw. You will experience the sensations you felt when watching and reading war films and books. Join us as we attempt to retell the stories of the Second World War, from both perspectives, of the victors and the vanquished. Now, only one question remains... Where does your loyalty lie?

In Gates of Hell, the player will fight throughout WW2 battles, from the sands of North Africa to the snow covered peaks of Russia. In Early Access and until full release the action will be packed on the Eastern Front as the HD content for the game piles up. The player must use his skill plus the situation to defeat his enemy or complete mission objectives in spite of all odds that will arise. Weather the task is to snipe out an enemy officer, to destroy a tank column or fight against human rivals in the multiplayer game-modes, players must analyse the battle with their situational awareness and use the advantages of the nation they are playing, the terrain and their strategy. Whereas some players will prefer direct confrontation if they afford superior firepower, others might choose coordinated sabotage tactics. It is up to you to use historical warfare techniques to outsmart and outmanoeuvre the enemy!

Features:
  • Singleplayer and multiplayer support, including cooperative missions and PvP gamemodes.
  • Historical battles with overhauled and optimised multiplayer: Versatile & dynamic system to allow year setting option, extensive infantry types, and new vision ranges to create historical and tactical games.
  • Modular Faction/Campaign system
  • Integrated Steamworks
  • Includes editor for modding, mission making and sandbox gameplay
  • Highly accurate human models, headgear, and weapons for an ultimate detail standard.
  • Heavily revamped infantry dynamics to allow for intense infantry combat as well as offering historical tools for trench/foxhole/pit/mine building depending on infantry proficiency.
  • Smart terrain, plus additional aerial and naval flight/sea models for vehicles of all sorts.
  • Enhanced graphics and colour palette for unparalleled atmosphere.
  • Astounding audio system with in depth live-recorded sounds, reverbs and echoes
  • Overhauled ballistics for each individual weapon to calculate penetration & explosive values for different shell types, including composite rounds; as well as bullet drop and speed: A complete ballistics system.
  • Atmospheric 3D engine with smart, optimised AI and completely animated game objects.
  • Full destructibility of ground layer and objects, including burning parameters for flammable materials, flora, etc.
  • Realistic damage system for human objects and damage/repair system for vehicles' components (No healthbars on vehicles!).
  • Mod-friendly engine platform
  • High definition scenery including accurate soldier and vehicle models, spectacular FX, and detailed landscapes.
  • RTS and Third person top-down (direct control) shooter interchangeable gameplay modes for any unit, including vehicles and human entities.
  • Fully modelled physics, including acceleration due to gravity, effects on ballistics, collision systems, penetration behaviour/normalisation for different shells, etc.
  • Over 250 vehicles, more than 100 weapons and 200 human model types to play with. (Roster plan for full release)
  • Complex AI which can assess the battle situation and unless ordered to hold ground, will advance or retreat depending on their morale

An ambitious project that has been in development for at least four years now, Gates of Hell seems to be presenting itself as the succesor of Men of War: Assault Squad 2, a MoWAS2 version on steroids that aims to offer the most realistic videogame rendition of WW2 battlefields. The development team started out as MoW modders.

One essential addition is the morale system, something that is missing in the MoW games.

ETA: Q3-Q4 2020, as early access.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aemar

Arcane
b65a57e3145a4a203f4d41717a233277be4cd947.jpg

178108a5e700fb19ce52cac91436598987f6adf8.jpg

40a92f4c2b1b23f849b9990ecd27e06c8e5a6a63.jpg

653f806689f533ac52e3632f1152ffbee76d07e6.jpg

80f6487594a171cc2bb249448b0786a4ed04fc54.jpg

fa2ec01dcc39edd9a4274d1ffde9710b7e44a1a4.jpg

Next-level awesomeness.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feels like it has been in development for 10 years now. Still I have hope for this game.

Aemar

Arcane
Don't think there is newer footage than that - 7 months old at least. The trailer itself dates from 2015, so it's very outdated.

Aemar

Arcane
Most likely. OP contains a summary of features, one of them being the implementation of a morale system, something that's been missing from MoW. Other than that the keywords to describe these features would be ''realistic'' and ''accurate''. This is really MoWAS2 on steroids, which I don't mind at all.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It did have skirmish. It's a really good time in co-op. Especially if you use my mod ;)

warci

Educated
It did have skirmish. It's a really good time in co-op. Especially if you use my mod ;)

and what mod might that be? Still our little groups favourite coop game by far after playing it for a thousand hours

warci

Educated
looks nice, I hope they update the map assets a bit as well though.
Anyway, the graphics were already good enough imo. Entrenching options sounds great, the whole morale thing might be pretty cool too.
Something I really hope they'd do is make the map size more realistically large. Right now engagement distances are silly short and the maps are so tiny it's really hard to do any real sort of manoeuvring.

Aemar

Arcane
https://steamcommunity.com/games/400750/announcements/detail/1702854380392604455

Devblog #87: Smoke and animations

Hi everyone, it’s time for another update! With the end of the year in sight there’s some things we want to tell you. We also promised to show you some new animations, so let’s cut straight to the chase.

Announcements

Right now we are very busy with behind- the- scenes decision making and planning. This needs to be done before we give you any dates and roadmaps. Our previous two development updates showed you the “visual catalog”. In the past 18 months we also showed you the kind of mission and the kind of realism you can expect from us. This devblog gives you an idea of the new animations. All in all, we are getting closer to early access every day.

Smoke screens

We’ve been working on some nice features, such as the use of smoke dispensers on tanks.
Several ways of generating smoke to protect tanks were used in WW2. Some used launchers that were fired from inside the tank; some had smoke grenade launching canisters outside the tank; some tanks had “smoke candle” installations. We will portray all methods that were used.
These will feature on tanks that had them in real life, so this is not a general thing for every tank or every faction. This represents our goal of realism in the game; it would be wrong to have smoke dispensers on every tank, or to make them available for scenarios in any year of the war. Maybe you know which tanks will have these? At least the one below does:

0.jpg

YouTube™ Video: GoH - Tank Smoke Dischargers
Views: 729

Tell us what you think, is this any good? Would you use this feature in- game?

”Listen very carefully - I shall say this only once!”(Michelle of the resistance)

0.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Listen Very Carefully I Shall Say This Only Once
Views: 3,462

(From ‘Allo ‘Allo)

Animations

On to the next subject, which is also about really new stuff we’re putting in Gates of Hell.

As we announced earlier this year, we are using MOCAP to create a complete set of all- new animations. We are very glad to have a nicely ambitious developer as our dedicated animator.
His work will give Gates of Hell a refreshing bit of realism to speed up getting rid of same old animations for 14 years. For instance, soldiers will not always simply fall over when killed; sometimes their struggle lasts a few moments and movements will occur until they are virtually dead.
Another one is that AI will know how to use a bayonet, but you may already have seen this in our YouTube channel.

So let’s show you a few of those new animations. Please keep in mind that these can be incorporated into the game at any point, so the fact that we are making these with the MOCAP software is not delaying early access. Here is a selection:

2C536D1D5290EAE33AB23D9D6B6D9666DE743E76

D5C3F0EA841BABA05F4A57E1E9484D9D1C29754C

Remember that these are WiP, with some polishing here and there being planned. That is a difficult process by the way, but we will show you more animations very soon, without waiting for a devblog to show them to you.
So tell us, what do you think? Would you welcome the first new animations, after all those years? Do you like the idea of smoke screens?

Assorted renders

We thought you might also want to see some recent modelling that came from the 3D department. Here are a few renders for you; can you correctly guess what these are? You’ll have to look really closely:

f8f44267aacdbbd3e8d9f1733944a20fabd12dd9.jpg

HD link

1abcbe140ea2c4012a46f01603aa85f7a4f3976b.jpg

HD link

3754e773f259bdca5d269f0dc723c5addeaf9451.jpg

HD link

51c14fe08fcc5642d4d08e40251fb1faa9c273f4.jpg

HD link

2765ef727aad884487155ca65bd974db68f21719.jpg

HD link

cc7012268db49da839234fa4393c477b4a60a787.jpg

Aemar

Arcane
Publishing

We are very happy to announce that Gates of Hell will be released in cooperation with Digitalmindsoft, and that launch is to take place in 2020.
There are a number of obvious reasons to want to do it like this. One of the reasons is that the 64-bit engine we get from DMS is a very sophisticated evolution of the engine we conceived our game on.
So, we save time in comparison to switching to a completely different engine; instead, we will port to a version of the GEM engine that has been developed into the reliable and stable 64-bit version with out of sync free netcode that already powers Call to Arms.

Integration
We came into talks with Digitalmindsoft, who became interested in Gates of Hell and who were willing to put in the needed software investment, but as they also have no rights over the engine and we didn’t have a license, there was little that could be done to release Gates of Hell as a standalone title.

Instead we agreed to incorporate Gates of Hell as part of the DMS game “Call to Arms". To most people that will sound a bit surprising, as GoH has little in common with CtA.
However, we put together a plan for the release of both projects under one license, without compromising the uniqueness of GoH.

Call to Arms: Gates of Hell will keep the own identity and gameplay it is supposed to have, while Call to Arms will continue onward in its own path. Our teams have agreed to keep the gameplay of GoH as intended to ensure the truly compelling experience you expect.

Buying the game, and game price
“Will I need to buy 2 games if I want to have Gates of Hell?”
No. We will release Gates of Hell as a DLC for Call to Arms in such a way that you pay an amount that would be a reasonable price for 1 game.

There are 2 possible situations; either you already have Call to Arms or you don’t.

If you own any version of Call to Arms already, Gates of Hell will be available at a reduced price. It does not matter which version of Call to Arms you own.

If you DO NOT own any version of Call to Arms yet, Gates of Hell and the Basic Edition of Call to Arms will come bundled together for a single, moderate price. We will decide this soon.

Releasing this project as a DLC for Call to Arms, a totally unexpected turn of events to say the least.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Oh god, not Digitalmindsoft. Everything they touch turns to crap, I'm amazed Men of War Assault Squad II came out as well as it did. Call to Arms is a disaster... they even tried to go down the Counter Strike route of loot boxes and stuff for the game. The engine is excellent, but it's getting so mishandled.

The potential of the GEM engine is great. Not only for war, I think it would work great as a real time combat for RPGs too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The potential of the GEM engine is great. Not only for war, I think it would work great as a real time combat for RPGs too.

Like another STALKER inspired projects, there were some but most projects are abandoned rather fast.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Like another STALKER inspired projects, there were some but most projects are abandoned rather fast.

Yeah, do you remember the name of that project? I have been looking for ages but can't find any information about it. I so wished that game would come out...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Don't think so, that looks to be third person going by google image search. This one had actual ingame shots using the gem engine. It's so weird, really been searching for it but never saw those pics again. Maybe it was all a dream... hmmm.

Edit:

Or maybe you are correct, but the screenies look nothing what I remember it.

1C and Men Of War men Best Way are making a post-apocalyptic RPG called Nuclear Union 3. This is basically party-based STALKER/Metro in the Men Of War engine.

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/fallout-stalker-men-of-war-nuclear-union/69654

ADL

Prophet
Everyone's talking about this like it's a new game but what's the relationship to Call to Arms? Because Gates of Hell is listed as DLC. I heard that was pretty mediocre and the store page selling XP boosts and season passes is off putting.

Popot

Educated
Everyone's talking about this like it's a new game but what's the relationship to Call to Arms? Because Gates of Hell is listed as DLC. I heard that was pretty mediocre and the store page selling XP boosts and season passes is off putting.

Gates of hell uses the same engine of Call to arms. It was a standalone project before, but Best Way (GEM2 engine devs) revoked the license, so they had to go to Digitalmindsoft to get it published.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom