Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gearbox's Homeworld 1 & 2 HD Remakes - A New Hope

Perkel

Arcane
Notice how in Aggresive clip i posted fighters work more like shooting platforms and they don't shoot straight with their cource but sideways using momentum.

Probably will do full rerun of HW1 and Cataclysm

AMG

Arbiter
So, the remake is worse than original?
Who the fuck would have thought?

Quatlo

Arcane
You are just angry because you can't spam evasive scouts anymore to win every battle
:troll:

The change about support frigs and vettes however is making my blood boil, what the fuck were they thinking.
Also, are the frigates so annoyingly squishy as in HW2? I fucking hate losing units in such games but the game forced you to use them as meatshields.

And is the campaign in HW2 still so hilariously broken because of the enemy scaling?

Destroid

Arcane
Quatlo is there some place I can go to read the changes? What did they do to support frigs and vettes?

I don't recall evasive scouts being at all effective for dealing damage to anything.

Quatlo

Arcane
Quatlo is there some place I can go to read the changes? What did they do to support frigs and vettes?

I don't recall evasive scouts being at all effective for dealing damage to anything.

Unfortunately I don't have a graphics card now so I cannot test it myself, but I looked through the gearbox forums and read that WhiskeyWolf copypasta about the changes (supports needing to dock now), we will probably have to wait for more complete lists of changes, but what was alreay said culled my enthusiasm for the remake.

And evasive scouts were really good for drawing enemy fire and surviving under it. Take the Sea of lost souls mission for example, you could use ~15 evasive scouts to draw the enemy fire (and there was missile destroyer between them) and destroy the ghost ship with your bombers without any loses.

Did anyone try the multiplayer? That is pretty much the only thing I care about in the remake, to have a new, large pool of possible opponents.

Destroid

Arcane
I used them as a lazy way to beat the junkyard dogs mission, just send a bunch of them on a suicide run to the objective. It won't work as well on a human player though, unless they are lazy with micro.

Idiott

Arcane
Also, are the frigates so annoyingly squishy as in HW2? I fucking hate losing units in such games but the game forced you to use them as meatshields.

Frigs die in seconds to destroyers and under a second to a single heavy cruiser beam. Not sure if they're even worth salvaging, all they do is draw enemy fire for a while.
Or it's just cruisers that are OP as all fucks now.

I used them as a lazy way to beat the junkyard dogs mission, just send a bunch of them on a suicide run to the objective. It won't work as well on a human player though, unless they are lazy with micro.

Junkyard mission is such a joke in remastered it's not even funny.
First off, even if you send suiscouts to the derelict... they just stop when they take fire from autocannons. :lol:

So you need to send your heavy stuff to clear the whole fucking field up to the derelict. And when the junkyard dog appears... it does not jump away when it clamps to your ship. It just clamped to one of my frigates and held position for about a minute while my whole fleet raped it. Autocannons there are a joke too, you can have a couple of destroyers / cruisers just casually attack-move through the whole field and the only damage they'll take is some scratched paint.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I didn't buy this cashgrab, but I just want to say that the Sphere formation was the best one to have smaller craft surround and blow the shit out of anything remotely slow or stationary. I almost never used aggressive because it also expended fuel at a faster rate.

DraQ

Arcane
Did HW2 do away with ballistics or was it GB's own fuck up?

yes HW2 changed it for chance to hit.
:negative:

I never noticed it because I didn't play HW2 that much and mostly derped around with capships (them torpedo frigs and flak frigs) with strike craft in support role.

Still it isn't some OMG change. That downgraded a bit gameplay but overall HW2 is still fucking good game + it introduced some good changes as well.
I beg to differ. On both counts.

Next time someone may remake Myth I-II with % to hit instead of proper projectile and explosion physics and you won't find it a big deal either.
:fight:
We can't have that.

I assume this is why Gerbox didn't do it and instead they just made mod to HW2 called Homeworld 1 campaign.

So it isn't much of a Pitchfork's fault - barring some derpy QA issues GB made as good HW1 mod for HW2 as it was possible.

And evasive scouts were really good for drawing enemy fire and surviving under it. Take the Sea of lost souls mission for example, you could use ~15 evasive scouts to draw the enemy fire (and there was missile destroyer between them) and destroy the ghost ship with your bombers without any loses.
I remember doing it once with captured swarmers - they outrun missiles by default.
I don't remember if I had the patience to finish it this way, though.

The two lazy ways to do this mission are using gravwell to hold the junkyard dog, pummeling it dead, then facerolling the graveyard with a capship group or sending a carrier with large group of cloaked fighters "up" and moving it "above" the objective. Then sending cloaked fighters towards the objective, concentrating fire on proximity sensors in their way.

Nothing can compete with the multiple ways to cheese the ion sphere mission, though.

Frigs die in seconds to destroyers and under a second to a single heavy cruiser beam. Not sure if they're even worth salvaging, all they do is draw enemy fire for a while.
Or it's just cruisers that are OP as all fucks now.

Oh for fucks sake. Stupidly fragile frigates was one of the things the pissed me off to no end in HW2.

Idiott

Arcane
Eh, just found out that salvage corvettes are treated as docked to enemy ships (as in, the ships with salvage corvs attached to them are moving on their own rather than being moved by corvettes - thought it was only lazy animation work at first), so if you destroy engines of the ship you want to salvage, your corvettes will just attach themselves and do nothing.

Severian Silk

There is no multiplayer at all in Homeworld 2 Classic. GearBox disabled it. Even for IP connections.

:dead:

Quatlo

Arcane
Eh, just found out that salvage corvettes are treated as docked to enemy ships (as in, the ships with salvage corvs attached to them are moving on their own rather than being moved by corvettes - thought it was only lazy animation work at first), so if you destroy engines of the ship you want to salvage, your corvettes will just attach themselves and do nothing.

:deadhorse:
There is no multiplayer at all in Homeworld 2 Classic. GearBox disabled it. Even for IP connections.
:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Gearbox gonna Gearbox I guess

Gord

Arcane
Sigh, I thought it was looking like a decent job at first.
Will wait for a few patches, but currently it seems best to buy only at a discount.

Perkel

Arcane
Holy moly you people weren't jokin' about HW1 campaign being broken.

I did just now fully mission 2 and when carrier pops up i can't do shit. In Original HW carrier didn't have guns but here carrier have good AA defense so i just like that i will loose most of my units focusing on fighting it where in original HW1 i had to handle just strike ships.

Also there is no point in light corvette anymore. It cost almost the same, it has only one gun instead of two and has more or less the same armor and speed.

I did same mission in HW1 and i didn't lose any of my interceptors and only one corvette.

Perkel

Arcane
In Original HW carrier didn't have guns
Raider carrier always had twin ion cannon and full complement of point defense guns.

ion cannons ? Are we talking about 2 mission or something else ? Because i just finished it and no guns on carrier.
Maybe default script for that mission carrier doesn't allow attacking ? Bug ?

DraQ

Arcane
In Original HW carrier didn't have guns
Raider carrier always had twin ion cannon and full complement of point defense guns.

ion cannons ? Are we talking about 2 mission or something else ? Because i just finished it and no guns on carrier.
We are talking about every single Turanic Raider carrier ever.

carrier3.jpg

I don't know whether there is any particular scripting on it in Mission 2, difference in behaviour due to different AI and tactics settings, difference in mechanics resulting from presence of ballistic system and allowing your fighters to dodge incoming fire, or if your memories are incorrect (would have to fire HW), but it certainly could pack quite a heat.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane

afydfl.png

I've read that the remake is bugged, and the fearsome Turanic Carrier that scared the shit out of my 10-years old self has no Ion Cannons. In the original I can guarantee that it has them.[/spoiler]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom