Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gears of War 5 - now a tedious drama with female protagonist

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm impressed they're still making these games. I thought 3 was just the end, and I don't mean story wise. I mean like it was just getting overdone at that point already and it seemed like they were low on ideas. I remember beating the campaign and thinking, "What the fuck?"

I only played the original due to lack of PC versions, so I can't say, but Microsoft doesn't exactly have a strong stable of exclusive franchises outside of Halo. I doubt they want to give up any of the ones that have been a success.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I only played the original due to lack of PC versions, so I can't say, but Microsoft doesn't exactly have a strong stable of exclusive franchises outside of Halo. I doubt they want to give up any of the ones that have been a success.
I hear Turn 10 are working on an RPG. So there is that.

Dexter

Arcane

JINX?

http://archive.is/zCF6P
2yFfhDx.jpg

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Got X-BOX Game Pass Ultimate for $2 for 2 months and trying this. Runs at 60 FPS on my ancient I7-2700 and GTX1060 at Ultra settings. Just played the tutorial so far but at this stage it looks decent if you enjoyed any of the previous games.

laclongquan

Arcane

Not jinx as such, just self aware of a powerful cause-consequence involved in the industry.

My bet on Gear5 will sell so little compared to the old tittles that from now on action shooter games will stay the fuck away from LGBT issues.

Look at that fucking trailer! They cater to the crazies. The marketing aspect of having female character is totally erased by no tits and no asses. Why would anyone in the main audience of that game genre play such thing?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These games might have spawned the popamole archetype but I found Gears 4's multiplayer to be quite unorthodox. Unlike singleplayer, engagements in MP are really really fast, not at breakneck speed but more in the act of decision making, one dodgy peek or switching cover like a dumbass can kill you instantly. Popping out of cover gonna net you a few kills against people in open area at best, the real meat is in face off Gnasher duels which is hectic as hell. The movement and control take a while to get used to and are really satisfying once you master them, although I don't like the way the game binds both sprint and take cover on the same button.

After playing Gears 4 I felt like lots of cover based third person shooters in 360-PS3 era got the concept wrong, especially stuffs like Spec Ops The Line (there are a few exceptions like Binary Domain). But then again, playstyles in SP and MP are very different, so I'm not sure if you can assert whether the design is good or not based on experience in one mode. Nevertheless, I'm glad I tried Gears 4 multiplayer because it isn't like anything else out there in the market right now, and it looks like Gears 5 simply improved on the formula so I'm clearly on board :greatjob:

... until these motherfuckers decided to make Steam users wait for 16 hours more after Xbox/Win store users already got to play :baka:

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
The most manly series ever is now pozzed

Look at that fucking trailer! They cater to the crazies. The marketing aspect of having female character is totally erased by no tits and no asses. Why would anyone in the main audience of that game genre play such thing?

This doesn't even look like a videogame trailer.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played it for a bit, works as a charm extremely smooth on Ultra/1080p.
Didnt notice anything cringy yet, sorry to dissapont.
Have to try the X version too, 4k/60fps is a nice bonus.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After a few hours its kinda ok. Didnt get bored yet.

Looks really good, very well made enviroments and not alot of copy paste.
Its very cinematic, there is shit ton of set pieces and its seamlessly switching all in engine between cutscenes and gameplay.

The regular popamole shootouts are usually spiced at the end with some kind of mini boss showing up and kicking ass. Think Im at the end of act 1 and after its supposed to open up with that glider thing so you can roam around so they could add some content padding.

Ereshkigal

Educated
It's amazing to me that anybody cared about GoW past the first or second game. Same with the Halo series, I don't get most of these fanboys.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished the first Chapter of the SP on the weekend. I find somehow Gears games for me have always been more fun to look forward to play than to actually play and this is no exception. I think the issue is everything about the gameplay seems so mechanical: want to go behind cover? - here's a blood great icon showing you it's available; want to chainsaw your way through some pipes? - here's another icon for that; want to stomp on a wounded opponent? - yup - we have an icon for that too. It's like everything has to be done in a specific way and it makes the game seem less free flowing than it should.

Maybe it opens up a bit in later chapters but so far my feelings are somewhat muted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom