Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gemini Rue

Achilles

Arcane
Good trailer, it certainly piqued my interest. Do we know anything more about the creator? Any past projects?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Alexandros said:
Do we know anything more about the creator? Any past projects?
The Shivah, which was LPed here by Roxor IIRC.

This one seems intriguing. Graphics have a strong Beneath a Steel Sky vibe, with some scenes reminding me of the darker side of Space Quest (notably the XII sequences in 4). Definitely interested.

trustno1code

Prophet
Sceptic said:
Alexandros said:
Do we know anything more about the creator? Any past projects?
The Shivah, which was LPed here by Roxor IIRC.
Wadjet Eye is just the publisher - the developer is a student, Joshua Nuernberger. His first game apparently.

Looks pretty cool. You can preorder here.

phanboy_iv said:
This is that game announced a while back that was called 'Boryokudan Rue' or whatever, right?
Yep.

Alex

Arcane
Wadjet Eye also created the Blackwell games, also LPed here. I played the Blackwell games and thought they were great, though still far away in scope from the adventure games of old.

From the Wadjet Eye site, however, it isn't Dave Gilbert who is behind this project, but the newcomer Joshua Nuernberger.

I got to say, however, that those graphics look amazing. I will never condemn a game for bad graphics, but when praise is due, it is due.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
trustno1code said:
Wadjet Eye is just the publisher - the developer is a student, Joshua Nuernberger. His first game apparently.
Wait, you mean Nuernberger is doing everything, including all the graphics, all by himself? That's doubly impressive. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Alex

Arcane
@trustno1code

Sorry, I only saw your post now. Do you know anything about the game itself? You seem to have been following it for some time.

trustno1code

Prophet
Alex said:
Do you know anything about the game itself? You seem to have been following it for some time.
Nah, just found out about it myself, but started digging a bit when I did. Still most of the info is from a PR release sent out by WadjetEye (wall of text alert):

Neo-Noir Thriller Gemini Rue Coming February 24 from Wadjet Eye Games
Independent Game Festival winner transports players to a corrupt future for an intense, old-school adventure

NEW YORK, January 11, 2011 – Independent publisher Wadjet Eye Games and developer Joshua Nuernberger are announcing a partnership to commercially release Gemini Rue for PC. This retro-style adventure game, which combines creative point and click gameplay with a gripping sci-fi / noir narrative, was an Independent Game Festival Student Showcase winner in 2010. Gemini Rue will release February 24 from http://www.geminirue.com, with preorders starting today.

Gemini Rue (formerly known as Boryokudan Rue) is an intense adventure set in a bleak future dominated by the corrupt Boryokudan crime syndicate. Players assume the roles of two very different characters: Azriel Odin, an ex-assassin searching for a defector from the Gemini system, and "Delta-Six," a hospital inmate whose memory has been wiped by mysterious, Big Brother types. As fate brings the two men together, players explore a world where life is cheap, identities are bought and sold, and a simple quest for redemption can change an entire galaxy's fate.

Created with the Adventure Game Studio engine, Gemini Rue features a verb-based interface, hand-painted backgrounds, professional voice acting, and an original soundtrack composed by Nathan Allen Pinard. In-game commentary can be turned on to reveal development insights and bloopers, providing replay value.

"When Josh first showed us Gemini Rue, we knew we had something very special on our hands," says Dave Gilbert, Wadjet Eye Games' founder and CEO. "It's the type of game that keeps you on the edge of your seat. We played until we couldn't keep our eyes open, then eagerly started playing again when we woke up. Working with Josh to finish up the game has been a blast, and we're excited to finally share it with the world!"

Starting today, Gemini Rue can be preordered in both downloadable and limited edition CD versions. The download costs $14.99 and will be made available to purchasers upon Gemini Rue's February 24 release. The limited edition CD, which will only be sold during the preorder period, costs $24.99 including free shipping worldwide. Expected to ship in March, the CD release will include the game, a full MP3 soundtrack, and professional packaging, as well as free access to the downloadable version when Gemini Rue launches online.

To get a first look at the game or place a preorder, visit the official Gemini Rue website at http://www.geminirue.com.

About Joshua Neurnberger
Joshua Nuernberger is an undergraduate student at UCLA interested in illustration, narrative, film, and gaming. He has created several independent games using the Adventure Game Studio engine, including La Croix Pan and Chatroom. His first commercial game, Gemini Rue, was showcased at IndieCade @ E3, the Indie Games Arcade, and the Independent Game Festival, where it won a Student Showcase award in 2010. He maintains a game development and analysis blog at http://jburger.blogspot.com.

About Wadjet Eye Games
Founded in 2006, Wadjet Eye Games has developed a reputation for producing award-winning and critically acclaimed adventure games for the PC. Committed to creating unique character-driven game experiences around recognizable brands, Wadjet Eye has grown from a small homebrew operation to a company sought after by major publishers. The company's award-winning portfolio includes The Shivah and the Blackwell series, both of which have garnered Game Developers Choice nominations, Puzzle Bots, which was selected for the Penny Arcade Expo's PAX 10 showcase, and IGF Student Showcase winner Gemini Rue. For more information, visit http://www.wadjeteyegames.com.

zeitgeist

Magister
Looks interesting, the character animations - especially the walk cycle(s) - are beyond horrible though. Also, those cover shooter parts, in the AGS? That's bound to end up extremely clunky.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Looks promising, even with the awful AGS-like walking animations. The shooting sequences are dubious though.

Why does no one write their own 2d adventure game engine anymore? All these AGS games feel alike...

zeitgeist

Magister
asper said:
even with the awful AGS-like walking animations
What is it with those? Most AGS games seem to have the same issue. Does it come with a horribly animated default sprite that everyone decides to trace over? I don't remember much about it, I last downloaded it to check it out years ago, but a quick google search reveals that it should be perfectly possible to import your own sprite animations with any number of frames and directions and such.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gemini Rue is not a pure point-and-click adventure game, however, as there are about a dozen shooting sequences that require you to have fairly quick reflexes.

:x

Keep your god dammned action shit out of my Adventure game!

Manny

Educated
@Jaesun:

Joshua Nuernberger has responded to the posts (yours and the others) related to the action sequences of the game in the Comments section of the preview at Adventure Gamers:

"For those worried about the action scenes, there is an EASY mode in the game, and the scenes are evenly spaced out enough so that you won't get stuck on them for long. They are more like a puzzle than traditional action gameplay, as they don't require you to mash buttons per se, but rather require you to think about what you're doing and figure out the best course of action

-Joshua Nuernberger".

I think that what he says is interesting. Personally, I prefer adventure games without action sequences too. Nevertheless, I can live with action sequences as long as all the others elements are well designed, specially if those scenes contribute with the plot (and, in this case, even better if they work like some kiind of puzzles). I really like, for example, the Indy games, eventhough they present some action, and the same for the Quest for Glory games.

My major concern with Gemini Rue are the puzzles. I hope they are as good as its graphics and not too easy, the common handicap of the latest adventures (with exceptions, like some episodes of the Second Season of Sam & Max).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK, played the demo for like 10 minutes. Stopped playing. Buying the game now.

Goddamned incline of Adventure gaming!

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom