Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

Viata

Arcane
Protagonist got smaller so his creations looks bigger.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't mind a remake, particularly the older Geneforges look like barf. I liked the Avernum remakes well enough. If he dumbs down the game too much I'll rather play the original, tho. We'll see.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

I'm currently playing Geneforge on Steam, and it looks better than this.

I think using a checkerboard and this
100PaperMinis.png

will look better and run better.

Terra

Cipher
As expected, the art is moving in the soulless direction of Avadon. Say what you will about the early Geneforges, but at least the scrappy art had more charm than what I'm seeing here. Too clean, too obviously rendered out from a 3D package. The graphics enhancement mod for G1/2 does a better job of retaining the original style and improving upon it.

passerby

Arcane

Probably old news.

dZpEg78.jpg

Yes, I can definitely see the improvement :negative:

Yep, Geneforge is his best looking game and has a consistent visual style with tilesets designed by one artist specifically for this game, but of course he can't recognise it.

I also don't like this reskin mod, which uses graphics from the later games, the UI skin is nice I guess, but I didn't mind the green goo either.

Only proper gameplay improvements, like real AoE spells for example, could convince me, but It'll be just a port to Geneforge 5 engine most likely.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
It's fucking sad is what it is. Here's the chance to actually do a decent remake and have the game look great, instead I'm seeing cacti and ground tiles from Avadon being used to promote an upcoming kickstarter. Take that screenshot above; it shows a "remastered" area vs how the original looked (the area looks like the docks - starting area or close by). An area that for some reason is now using said Avadon desert tileset & cacti sprites, when originally it was grass and trees. Does the pre-KS budget not stretch to creating some new graphics that actually look like a remade version of the original?

I'd bemoan the re-use of the original Geneforge 1 title screen pictured above, but that's
incline.png
compared to everything else I'm seeing.

There's a hentai rpg kickstarter somewhere on the codex that's established a better aesthetic in a few weeks than what Jeff's managed in the space of years, and likely on a tighter budget.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly, the one thing keeping me away from game development, is the fact I can't do art worth shit.
That is a really bad excuse, tbh. Old Vogel's game had shit art even for indie standards, yet you'll have a hard time to find better games.
Never judge the power of stock art assets used correctly, for one. Or two, a mix of stock art assets and some reasonable money paid to commission artists for work. It doesn't have to be full-time just piecemeal. Character designs, some important models, whatever.

It's also been shown that programmer art that had effort put into it works just well. Look at Terraria, for instance.

Nim

Augur
instead I'm seeing cacti and ground tiles from Avadon being used to promote an upcoming kickstarter. Take that screenshot above; it shows a "remastered" area vs how the original looked (the area looks like the docks - starting area or close by).
It is the second area, where you encounter the first fyora, didn't even recognize it until I saw the minimap.
Qug7PW3.jpg

passerby

Arcane
If you're into eye candy, you're in the wrong forum thread. Oozing graphics were never important in a true RPG.

No one is complaining about lack of oozing graphics, but about destroying whatever atmosphere the original game had with some sterille shit.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Stealth in Genefore 1 seemed to mostly be a quirk of the engine. Enemies only noticed you within a certain number of squares and many had set patrols, so you could cheese that. By Geneforge 5, however, it was built into the mechanics of the game. There were stealth items that would decrease the distance at which monsters noticed you.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Geneforge is one of the best rpg series ever, if not the outright best.

:notsureifserious:

BRO IS FUCKING SERIOUS AS SHIT

GENEFORGE KEPT A RELATIVELY COHERENT PLOT AND RELATIVELY GOOD QUALITY THROUGH FIVE FUCKING GAMES AND THE WHOLE THING KEPT A CONSISTENT STORY

MOST GAMES BARELY MANAGE A FUCKING SEQUEL WITHOUT FUCKING SHIT ALL UP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom