Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review Geneforge 2 review: Better Late Than Never

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Spazmo, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Tags: Geneforge 2; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

We finally get around to <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=96>reviewing</a> <a href=http://spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge2/index.html>Geneforge 2</a>. The verdict: it's good.
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>If you ask the staff members of the RPG Codex for their favourite CRPGs, you're likely to find two common answers from all of them: <i><a href=http://www.interplay.com/fallout/index.html>Fallout</a></i> and <i><a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge/index.html>Geneforge</a></i>. The first is something of a no-brainer but many gamers have never heard of the latter, which is a real shame given how good it is. For a mere $25, the good folks at <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com>Spiderweb Software</a> would sell you Geneforge, easily one of the best CRPGs in years. Geneforge was a solid success for Spiderweb, prompting the development and release of a sequel, <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge2/index.html>Geneforge 2</a>. We're happy to report that Geneforge 2 is a fantastic game and lives up to its predecessor admirably.</blockquote>
    <br>
    <br>
    Anyone surprised? No? Good!

^ Top  
  2. Otaku_Hanzo Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo
    I personally think the sequel stomped the first one's butt into the ground. I did like the first one, don't get me wrong there. But Geneforge 2 kicks serious butt. So does the Avernum series! Don't forget to check those out while your there! :)

Edit: Good review, btw. :) Did a speed read of it and you did the game justice. Will do a more indepth read of it later.

^ Top  
  3. Anonymous Guest

Anonymous
    I got to the very-near end of GeneForge but didnt know what to do anymore, so I just kinda stopped, I think I might of made a mistake somewhere, but i'll try again.

As for GeneForge 2, I think i'll get around to playing it sometime soon (I have it, just never played it much).

^ Top  
  4. wizard Liturgist

wizard
    good review...........that's all I can say 'cause I read the review couple hours ago and I dont remember anything about it :lol:

^ Top  
  5. dipdipdip Liturgist

dipdipdip
    Ah, good. I've been silently awaiting a review from you guys.

Question: Do you guys plan on doing one for Teudogar?

^ Top  
  6. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Thanks for the praise, folks. But don't waste time inflating my ego--go buy Geneforge 2!

As for Teudogar... good question. I myself haven't played it. I'll knock some heads around.

^ Top  
  7. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    A very enjoyable review. I suggest changing
    into
    . Too many buts in the first version imo :D

^ Top  
  8. undead dolphin hacker Liturgist

undead dolphin hacker
    One question: I lost my Geneforge (1) saves when my secondary computer's HDD went corrupt... and, great as it was, I couldn't bear to restart it.

So my question is, if I haven't completed Geneforge (1), will I be confused or underwhelmed by Geneforge 2? Also, which, in your opinion, is more intriguing/"better?" I don't forsee having time to play both through anytime soon, so I may as well choose one...

^ Top  
  9. Otaku_Hanzo Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo
    I recommend going with 2 then. You can play it without having played the first one. It's not a TRUE sequel in the sense that you are playing the character from the first game. Plus, you have alot more different options for finishing quests. The first one was more combat-oriented, whereas the second one allows more freedom in some quests.

^ Top  
  10. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    What he said. Geneforge 2's narrative is independent of the first one's and hardly even places restrictions on how you end the first game, which is pretty neat.

^ Top  
  11. undead dolphin hacker Liturgist

undead dolphin hacker
    Cool. I'll have to go back to the first one at some point, but after slogging through so much damn combat, I couldn't bring myself to play it again for awhile...

^ Top  
  12. Transcendent One Liturgist

Transcendent One
    Well I hate when crappy combat is plentiful in a game. But you say it works overall, and you make the other aspects sound really catchy. I think I'll give the game a try eventually (not that I wouldn't have without reading the review, the review will probably just make me buy it sooner).

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)