Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Geneforge: Fun with endings. *SPOILERS*

Deathy

Liturgist
So I start Geneforge again.
This time, I roleplay a Guardian that wants to stay true to the Shapers, but is corrupted by power.
My actions mark me early on to join the Obeyers, and I do so, in order to further my need for power, conviently contained in the canisters. I spend most of the game hunting the canisters, in order to fulfill the need for power that my character has. At the start, I have one creation that is almost like a pet for me, but soon I get to a power mad state where they become mere tools. At one stage, I create packs of Vlish, to send them off to kill a vastly superior foe, it takes more than 10 packs to kill them.

As part of the Obeyers, I ally with the Sholai and help them out, but still feel the need to destroy them. I get over that need with more canisters. Canisters are the sole drive of my character. I also destroy the Takers, as my character sees them as an abomination.

Then I hear of the Geneforge. At first, fearful of its power, I vow to destroy it. Then, after I wrest the Shaping Gloves from the mad Shaper, Goesttch, I start to feel the pull of it's power. Maybe if I use the power, I could change the ways of the Shapers and make them the most powerful empire in the world.

Thinking on that, I travel to the Geneforge, and take a few more canisters on the way. I fight my way through the west gate and Trakjov's Augmented Sholai, filth that have taken my peoples secrets, and perverted them. Without training, without control. Just like me.

My character becomes confused.

Finally, I enter the area of the Geneforge. Trakjov is here, and, contrary to what I had expected, he isn't insane. He's more sane than my character, and also, more powerful. Instead of killing him where he stands, I talk to him, I learn from him.

I am tempted by his offer of power, it seems the easiest way. So I give him the gloves, and allow him to use the Geneforge. Afterwards, I ask him to give me the gloves. He refuses, and therefore, I think to attack him. But I am not yet so power mad to think that I would succeed.
So I think on it a bit more. I decide that loyalty to Trakjov must now be considered imperative to gaining power. I destroy the Geneforge, so that nobody else can gain its power.

I leave Sucia Isle as Trakjov directs, and I'm treated to a very contradictory ending,

One in which, although I have destroyed the Takers, they magically reappear and slaughter the Obeyers.

One in which, although Trakjov and I have destroyed the Shapers, they return to Sucia Isle to learn its secrets.

I guess Vogel never anticipated that anyone would play the game in this fashion.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's odd. I didn't think the Shapers would go back to Sucia if you destroyed the geneforge.

Doesn't it also say that the Takers, with the help of Trajkov, destroy the Obeyers?

Deathy

Liturgist
Well, that's the legacy of a fucked up ending. I think the Shapers returning to Sucia was based on your membership with the Obeyers, and therefore, relied on you to destroy the Geneforge.
Otherwise, I doubt there'd be any way I /could/ have got that ending.

And yeah, the Takers, with the aid of Trakjov, destroyed the Obeyers.
Which is odd in two ways.
First, I had destroyed the Takers earlier in the game, and in the ending, the survivors of Kazg mounted a raid on the mainland and were wiped out. I'd imagine that this took place before Trakjov's invasion.
Secondly, by that time, I was Trakjov's second in command. I would not have allowed such foolish wastefulness. Trakjov was rational enough that I can assume that he would agree with me.

I think the irony of this situation is nice.
I play as a confused character, and I get a confused ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom