Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Genres That You Don't "Get"

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Voltigeur, May 21, 2019.

1. mindfields Learned

mindfields
    Racing games
    Sport games
    Fighting games
    MOBAs
    Battle Royale
    SHMUPs
    Hidden Object Games
    Idle games
    Mobile Puzzle games (Match 3 etc)

^ Top  
  2. Catacombs Scholar Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    I never understood the fun of button smashing.

^ Top  
  3. mindfields Learned

mindfields
    For me it's mostly just that it's too simple, 2 characters fighting in a 2d space, they fight until winner, that's it.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    ^ Top  
  4. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Same two genres.

I tried MMOs back in the day. Played WoW for three weeks, got pretty well into it, was fun. Then it became immensely repetitive as I reached the mid level range. I had done all the quests and killed all the different mobs in one region at least twice. So I progressed to the next region. My level was still too low to do anything there, though... which meant I had to go back to the last region and grind grind grind until I was good enough to progress.

Yeah, no. Fuck that shit. I don't want to repetitively grind the same content over and over again.

I tried several free to play MMOs since then, but never lasted more than a couple days because it's always the same. Grind, grind, grind. It's just not fun at all. I'd rather play Diablo clones, at least there the combat is fast and you progress a lot more quickly. MMO progression is designed to force you to play for many many hours just to keep up with the rest of your guild. If I wanted to do repetitive tasks for hours, I'd get an office job. At least I'd get paid for it there. MMOs are like office jobs where you get paid in a fictional currency that only has value in-game.

I don't get MOBAs either. They're like RTS except you remove all the macro and only have the micro. I played Warcraft 3 online for a while, I do play Age of Empires 2 online regularly. I'm not a great player, but I'm decent enough - better at the macro than the micro, though, and that's what I find the most fun. Scouting enemy bases, setting up a decent economy, raiding the enemy economy, etc. You always have to watch all your fronts, build walls and towers, protect your eco while hitting the enemy, and microing your units when you clash with the enemy is only one of many gameplay elements. MOBAs remove everything else and there's only the micro, and it's just boring. Played League of Legends once or twice many years ago, didn't get into it. Just felt boring, and has an even higher skill ceiling than RTS: you can get by in an RTS without being intimately familiar with each unit's abilities and its counters by playing well on the strategic macro level, but MOBAs are all micro and you need to be perfect at it to have a chance against higher level players. Meh. It's RTS with all the fun parts removed, and the stressful parts enhanced.

I also don't get JRPGs at all. They're painfully linear, you don't get to create your character, you don't even get to spend points on levelup in many of them, they're spent automatically. The encounter design is often very grindy, you have to go through samey random encounters over and over, it's just not very engaging. And the story is so linear, it's not even a game anymore - it's more like reading an interactive novel or watching a movie. Oldschool JRPGs had those dialogues that you just clicked through, with zero dialog choices. In WRPGs you either get keyword style dialogue or multiple choice dialogue trees. In JRPGs you get... to read static dialogues with zero player input. And these dialogues are often so wordy, Torment Numenera would be jealous of them. And it's often such trivial shit, and the text box is so tiny you have to click through the dialogues line by line. "Hey did you know I grew up in this village." click "My sister owns the local tavern." click "You can get the best ale in town there!" click "She brews it herself, with the help of her husband." click "He's a local peasant who owns his own farm." OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE I DON'T GIVE A SHIT LET ME GET BACK TO THE GAME. And in modern JRPGs you get cutscenes instead of written dialogue to click through, which is even worse cause often you can't skip these and they take sooooo looooooooooong. You barely get to spend any time playing since the game just keeps throwing non-interactive cutscenes at you. This shit annoys me so much, I don't even care how good the story is - the sheer non-interactivity of it all drains all the fun from it for me. Games are supposed to be interactive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    If you were a NES and SNES kid like me they were all you had. I think a big reason some still love them is nostalgia for that time, or just being used to that style because of it. I quickly grew out of them when I started playing shit like Lands of Lore and Fallout, but many others didn't do that.

^ Top  
  6. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    driving games.
    there's just so little to do, the more arcade they are the smaller the challenge gets. in my eye they reached their peak with wip3out, between random powerups, weapons, and the substantial difference in facing curves with or without tail brakes, but then technology came to ruin that too, moving sci-fi racing games toward "so fast and rich in visual details you haven't and absolutely can't have a fucking clue on what's going on, you just have to learn the track one crash after another". and rubberbanding, oh for fuck's sake leave that to mario kart, and even there it's a travesty.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)