Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gleaner Heights: A mystery farming sim

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
added to wishlist, will buy when done

Dumbfuck
Added this to the wishlist. Love shit like this!

Can you elaborate on the tech you used to make this? Did you use an existing engine or did you bake something up in a framework like XNA/MonoGame and the like?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer

Can you elaborate on the tech you used to make this? Did you use an existing engine or did you bake something up in a framework like XNA/MonoGame and the like?
Game Maker Studio: The pleb dev's best friend.

All code, design, graphics and music are mine, from scratch.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Release date confirmed for Feb 21, release price confirmed for $9.99. ITZ coming LOL

Dumbfuck

Game Maker Studio: The pleb dev's best friend.

All code, design, graphics and music are mine, from scratch.

Nah, nothing plebby about it. I've always said that good developers will make good games, no matter what the tools used are. There are amazing games in RPGMaker XP and there are terrible games in CryEngine!

Good to see PCGamer spotted you. Hope the release goes well!

d1nolore

Savant
Congrats! You put a lot of work into the game and it looks really good. Starting and finishing a project like that on your own shows that you have what it takes to be a real developer.

:salute:

Dumbfuck
3 day countdown! On a scale of 1 to 10 how much are you shitting it right now? :P

Any plans on a Linux release? 90% of my non-work computer use right now is on a Chromebook running Ubunutu in a chroot, so 2D games are a saviour!

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
only played for like 10 minutes but my first impression is that the controls are pretty sloppy. it's a pain in the ass just to use the basic tool since it takes so long and you have to press two different buttons just to collect materials (they should be collected automatically imo). it'll probably be quite some time before I can do a proper playthrough but IMO you should seriously consider redesigning the interface. a lot of the negative reviews are bitching about this and while some of them are retarded (especially the stardew valley whining brigade) I think they have a point on this. stardew valley's controls were much tighter and even there I think they could've done a much better job with some things.

Checked game. Default controls awful, had to reassign everything. For some reason then you change movement definitions for left/right/up/down buttons they change for options menu as well - this is incorrect, such menus should always have permanent control scheme.

BUG: if you assigned "space" for both actions "interact" and "put item back" in same time and try talk with shop dude in the seed shop - game freezes. vdweller

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Checked game. Default controls awful, had to reassign everything. For some reason then you change movement definitions for left/right/up/down buttons they change for options menu as well - this is incorrect, such menus should always have permanent control scheme.

BUG: if you assigned "space" for both actions "interact" and "put item back" in same time and try talk with shop dude in the seed shop - game freezes. vdweller
Acknowledged.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
looks like the review scores are improving now that the people who actually played the game are giving input. still, many of the positive reviews are themselves fuck yous directed at butthurt stardew valley fans. how stressful is watching all this unfold vdweller?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
looks like the review scores are improving now that the people who actually played the game are giving input. still, many of the positive reviews are themselves fuck yous directed at butthurt stardew valley fans. how stressful is watching all this unfold vdweller?
Well I am pretty sure that the fanboi brigade impacted sales negatively. Exposure to the front page lasts only a couple of days and this little time is precious. Massive sales can be made during that time. I am positive that (like it has started happening right now with the massive influx of positive reviews) the game will begin to shine for what it really is.

Uploading a super hawt patch tonight :)

Dumbfuck
The town in Stardew Valley isn't mysterious at all. The NPC interaction is just slice-of-live interactive fiction like you find in a VN or something. There isn't really an overarching story, though there is a "goal" to strive for if you are the kind of spud that needs some kind of incentive to play old-school farming games.

That said the blurb would probably benefit from a little more exposition on the story elements. The PC Gamer article said something like Harvest Moon x HP Lovecraft, something like that on the main screen would probably net a bunch of eyeballs.

Downloading this tonight when I get to my PC though. Congrats on the launch, hope you make a decent bit of cash from it, as it's clear a lot of work has went into this.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
On a side note some of the initial "played for 5 mins" bad reviews started disappearing LOL.

Destructoid review should be up on either Friday or Monday.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Well I am pretty sure that the fanboi brigade impacted sales negatively. Exposure to the front page lasts only a couple of days and this little time is precious. Massive sales can be made during that time. I am positive that (like it has started happening right now with the massive influx of positive reviews) the game will begin to shine for what it really is.

Uploading a super hawt patch tonight :)

it might impact front load sales but if the game is good and in a popular enough genre (and stardew valley shows this genre is popular enough) it won't matter in the long run

and speaking of sales why put your games on two different accounts? you'll probably miss out on some cross-pollination. especially with indies i've often found new games to buy by looking at a dev/publisher's entire roster

also about the patch:

lots of fond gamemaker memories coming back just reading the bugs fixed list:

"Fixed the game crashing when killing a Maneater plant while its bullet is still around"

instance_exists() is your best friend

Last edited:

Duckard

Augur
Congrats on launching! You should edit your initial post to say that the game is out now and include a link to the steam page.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
hey vdweller im running win7 64 bit and im getting jittery mouse hang at the game starting menu screen

it wont let me settle the pointer on any of the buttons (options,new game etc)

cant start a game

:negative: help
I have win7 x64 as well.

Do you have any gamrpads plugged? Try unplugging them the running the game.

Do the usual Steam stuff (verify cache integrity/uninstall and reinstall game etc).

Does the keyboard only work? Game is perfectly playable with a keyboard.

jdmatson

Literate
This looks really cool, but I try to use steam as little as possible. Do you plan to release a drm-free version at some point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom