Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glorious Codex, Recommend me some TRPGs

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
I have finished XCOM 1, 2 and aftermath, played JA 2 vanilla and 1.13, Silent Storm, Fallout BOS, and even play FFT, FFTA2, Onimusha tactics and Tactics ogre(JRPG! The shame!) just to satisfy my insatiable thirst. But I need more.

Codex, what TRPG shall I devour next?

desocupado

Magister
Chaos Gate. Pretty good tactics game set in the w40k universe. Had lots of fun with it. Don't know if you are able to run it in xp, but I used a virtual machine with win98 in it and had no problems. Just don't install the virtual machine addons.

chzr

Scholar
x-com apocalypse for some more x-com

jagged alliance 1 to see how it all began, ja: deadly games for more in single missions

silent storm: sentinels for more of the same, hammer and sickle if you'd like more rpg/adventure hybrid in yer silent storm

brigade e5 and/or 7.62mm to see that rtwp can be awesome in tact. rpgs

ufo: aftershock for more ufo (probable the best of the series), ufo: afterlight for even more.

genci88

Educated
Have you ever played Shadow Company? There aren't any RPG elements IIRC, but it is a cool tactical game.

Another TRPG would be Hammer & Sickle. I own the full boxed copy of this one, but never played it (so no idea whether it sucks or rocks). :/

saenz

Scholar
Have you played UFO: Extraterrestrials with Grayfiend's mod? It's the best actually playable XCOM homage out there.

Along the same lines, 7.62MM with the BFX mod is far from perfect, but if you're a JA2 fan, you'll dig it. Along the same lines, I'm assuming you've played the various JA2 mods at the Bear's Pit? The Urban Chaos mod is an entirely different gameworld and plot. I played it back in ~2005 and its probably been brought up to 1.13 compatibility now.

...And if you haven't played JA2 with 1.13 yet, there's your gaming homework for the next month.

DaveO

Erudite
Realms of Arkania trilogy. Have fun for the next few years!

Nael

Arcane
saenz said:
Along the same lines, 7.62MM with the BFX mod is far from perfect, but if you're a JA2 fan, you'll dig it.

This.

While I enjoyed BFX immensely, I think it's a tad unbalanced considering how easy it is to get that scoped rifle early on and how easy it makes the game at that point. The name of the rifle begins with a "Z" IIRC. Zapata or something... Grrr...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Fucking Fire Emblem. 'Fire Emblem' and 'Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones' for the Gameboy Advance to be more specific. The third english release, 'Shadow Dragon' sucks.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
genci88 said:
Have you ever played Shadow Company? There aren't any RPG elements IIRC, but it is a cool tactical game.

Oh man, I remember playing that game and constantly thinking how fucking cool it would have been if it was turn based (ala JA:2). Even so, as you say, it wasn't bad...

Actuallly thinking about it - Shadow Company is the perfect example of why those morons working on JA3 should not be using a real time combat system. :x

Squad based + Tactics + Real Time just don't work well together. SC is about as good as it could possibly be in RT and it was still far removed from the awsomeness of JA:2.

CrunchyHemorrhoids said:

Agreed. The strategy forum here at the codex is a tactical minefield :smug:

Leimrey

Educated
You could try Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, if you liked FF: Tactics.

hoshigami+screen+1.jpg

Lightknight

Liturgist
You could try Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
One of the worst games ever.

Chaos Gate. Pretty good tactics game
Pretty bad tactics game, with plasticky toy graphics, and insane incompatibility with current hardware.

Onimusha tactics
Hm, you seem easy to satisfy, if you had the patience to play Onimusha...
Why not play Ogre Battle games ? They take a little to get used to, but are true classics. Better than Tactics Ogre for sure.
Also Super Robot Wars, starting from Alpha and up.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Super Robot Wars? Well, if you enjoy long cutscenes, I guess. At least there's a fast forward button on the emulator.

spectre

Arcane
What is your take on Odium?
Was discussed recently (as Gorky 17). Try the strategy games forum.
Aside from the lenghty butthurt about weird attack patters for weapons ruining mah immershun, the conclusion is: not bad if you can stand some of its simplifications (and the fact that it is more of a puzzle game).

Might start with 7.62
I'd say, start with Brigade E5. Also, read up all the faqs you can get your hands on, it's russian design, meaning you can screw yourself over really well if you don't play the game in a certain way.

If you like the system, help yourself to UFO:After---- series.
It shouldn't be affiliated with XCOm at all, but is still fun nonetheless (gets tiresome after a while, but you get lots of weapon addons, soldier customization through classes etc.)

Also, get some Incubation, it's rpg-lite and some missions play like puzzle games, but still p.cool

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Andyman Messiah said:
Fucking Fire Emblem. 'Fire Emblem' and 'Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones' for the Gameboy Advance to be more specific. The third english release, 'Shadow Dragon' sucks.
SNES version was also interesting. (That version where you forced each other into love.)

desocupado

Magister
Lightknight said:
You could try Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
One of the worst games ever.

Chaos Gate. Pretty good tactics game
Pretty bad tactics game, with plasticky toy graphics, and insane incompatibility with current hardware.

Onimusha tactics
Hm, you seem easy to satisfy, if you had the patience to play Onimusha...
Why not play Ogre Battle games ? They take a little to get used to, but are true classics. Better than Tactics Ogre for sure.
Also Super Robot Wars, starting from Alpha and up.

The fucker diss my Chaos Gate to suggest Super Robot Wars.

:(

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Raghar said:
Andyman Messiah said:
SNES version was also interesting. (That version where you forced each other into love.)
I only listed the official english releases as I'm not so up to date with the fan translations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom