Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:
Apparently the rendering of shadows in this embodiment of Gamebro (grrr) is what's chewing up most GPU's cycles. Probably best just to turn the shadows off altogether if your system's overheating while playing it.

Yeah, the game crawls with shadows on high. Even knocking them down a bit yields a massive improvement and with them off it flies with everything else at max.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Still get fucked over by projectile spam though :( just met the Black Ring guys... good god.
In the mine, south broken valley? Do not do this quest at this time. Wait until you return to Broken valley, you'll never be able to defeat them and/or keep those other guys alive.

Just the ones wandering about Broken Valley. I can beat them with cheese tactics, but get horribly mauled if I meet more than one sergeant a time.

Getting a bit better, just focusing all my points in strength and vitality for now. Is battlemage even a viable build late-game?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Admiral jimbob said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Still get fucked over by projectile spam though :( just met the Black Ring guys... good god.
In the mine, south broken valley? Do not do this quest at this time. Wait until you return to Broken valley, you'll never be able to defeat them and/or keep those other guys alive.

Just the ones wandering about Broken Valley. I can beat them with cheese tactics, but get horribly mauled if I meet more than one sergeant a time.

Getting a bit better, just focusing all my points in strength and vitality for now. Is battlemage even a viable build late-game?

You're at the hardest point of the game, it gets real easy once you get to lvl 15 onward.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What's the most fun build? Played back when I needed an English translation patch and was bored to death by melee spam. I just started a Ranger but I"m open to change. before I get too far.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm just playing a boring warrior. I've maxed lockpick and I'm working on Wisdom now, to take advantage of those early. I'm not sure if I'm going to go dual-wield (YEAH!) or single weapon (2-hander) yet, but some of the loot I find will probably help determine that.

pipka

Savant
Don't forget, guys, to kill more than 20 rabbits. You'll get nice surprise.

EDIT: Wisdom is waste of points imo, better spent on damage skills or anything else altogether.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Crispybutthurt.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
abnaxus said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Ulthrings Armor is just fucking amazing, and you can pick up one piece in each fortress iirc, so skipping it is not an option. Though the battlemage armor in FoV is even better...forgot the name though.
Dragon Wizard armour?
Yes, that was it. All the INT bonuses...

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Crispy said:
I'm just playing a boring warrior. I've maxed lockpick and I'm working on Wisdom now, to take advantage of those early. I'm not sure if I'm going to go dual-wield (YEAH!) or single weapon (2-hander) yet, but some of the loot I find will probably help determine that.
Warriors have a big advantage in FoV.

The end boss has maxed out magic resistance, but pathetic melee resistance (probably an oversight from Larian). Took me two minutes to beat the boss while a maxed out warrior with right skills can take the boss out in 10 seconds.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Admiral jimbob said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Admiral jimbob said:

Viable? Of course... later, you're just at a point currently that's quite hard. I had to resort to hit & run at this point.... run in, unleash everything you've got hoping to kill at least one and then run run run for your life... repeat.

The others I mentioned are some level 27 black ring in the mine, skip this quest until you return from Orobas fjords.

however: str & vit? put more points in INT! INT increases magic damage of spells as well as weapons, so if you like melee focus on STR & INT (and willpower for mana)

pipka said:
EDIT: Wisdom is waste of points imo, better spent on damage skills or anything else altogether.

Yes, the way exp scales based on the difference of your and enemies level makes wsdom a waste of points. It's probably more efficient to max mindread if you're going for max exp route, because it costs zero exp to mindread with this skill at lv15. And FoV has a much much bigger costs for mindreading. Then once you've taken advantage of it you can respec at trainer and put those points elsewhere. But really at that point you'll have so much skillpoints you'll run out of useful skills to max.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Search for the threads here or on ITS where I explained that putting points into Wisdom is nonsense. Don't do that it's a waste of skillpoints. (I'm speaking out of experience, having 10 wis= finish the game at lvl 34, having 0 points in wis= lvl 34 too)

You'll be able to unlearn your skills for money later anyway. I ended up doing this several times to experiment on what works best. Just plan your stats carefully, you won't be able to change those.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
your necro-pet and the summoned demon - those are the summons that will really be helpful as tanks, as distractions etc

Well creature distracts your enemies and costs you no skillpoints, why wouldn't it be worth it? As said, give it a head with Fatality skill and it will be quite useful. It also grows as you level up.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I love the difficulty of this game. Even on Normal, if you step into a new area that's too tough for you the game's like *BITCH SLAP* "Oh, sorry, hope you saved recently."

Reminds me of Gothic in that respect.

DraQ

Arcane
Crispy said:
Haven't played a game in a long time that's had this effect on me. These guys definitely did something right.
I don't know what exactly, but they certainly did, the game has a lot of charm.
:love:

I will certainly look forward to further releases by Larian, especially if they also manage to get stuff like dragon combat right.

Regarding customizable pauldrons and such - Daggerfall AND Morrowind have this kind of stuff, Divinity 2 only has armour that looks impractical, but cool as hell.

Admiral jimbob said:

Every point you put in INT increases your magic damage by 1 whereas each point of STR only increases 0.5(melee attacks typically do both melee and magic damage types).

After a certain point the HP you gain from putting points in vitality is nothing compared to what you get by just leveling up.

As for things like wisdom, mindreading and grinding for xp, like others have said before don't waste the points/time, the way the xp system works you'll end up lv 34+/- regardless and you can only start reading minds for free near the very end of the game.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
just

one

more

level

;-;

Think I'm definitely past the rough spot my build nudged me into. So I'm putting the difficulty back up to hard to make it rough again. I was terribly ashamed to lower it, but I just wasn't getting anywhere at all. Let's see how far I get into Lovis' tower without bursting into tears. Still hasn't overheated at all, thanks Crispy. Also, to clarify, by battlemage I meant fighter-mage hybrid.

Also, Dicksmoker, to put you out of your misery - as far as I know, it's rebalanced in that your level doesn't have quite as massive a bearing on how much damage you do to enemies, thereby massively decreasing the need to grind to progress.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
VentilatorOfDoom said:

The doors are locked, you are remembering old version.

Antihero

Liturgist
All I gotta say is that if you bought the Steam version when it was on sale, then for the love of God don't equip the Blood Echelon sword, especially if you dual wield. The bonuses on that make your minimum damage ridiculously high, and it seems like the damage is the same no matter what hand you dual-wield a weapon in, despite the skill description unless I'm missing something obvious that isn't on the character sheet. More so if you take skill points in Battle Rage and dual-wielding. Finally found some uber-cleaver that actually seems better, but it was a long time coming.

I'm at the flying fortresses, and it's fun enough so far, but I just have to exert self-restraint in not using overpowered items. Not especially sure anymore how useful melee resistance is going to be, especially when every other enemy now is some stun- or poison-inducing archer.

Can't say I really care about the main quest at this point, or why I have to retrace Maxos's footsteps or whatever, but the game play is addictive enough to make it not matter.

Also, funny how you can wander into a territory that's too high a level for you, but it'll break the fourth wall and warn you about entering some city/fortress where I think you'll have to fight Ba'al.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Sergiu64 said:
Might as well ask here: I've just acquired my Battletower in the dragonknight saga and I'm a bit of a loss of what to do next. The only new area accessible to me is Orobas Fjords. Now then I go down there I'm able to swim to a couple of beaches and clear out a couple of mines, but there's a shimmering wall I can get past in order to get to the city in that area. Plus there are a couple areas on the cliffs which I think I need to be able to fly to get to. But there's no way to turn into a dragon out here, keeps saying I need more space. Figured maybe I need to fly off from my tower, but whenever I go there I can't use 'Leave Tower' button. And can't turn into a dragon anywhere either. The heck am I supposed to be doing next? Might have to look at a walkthrough I guess.

One of the things I love about this game is there's not too much handholding. This had me stumped for quite a while too. I think there's more than one way past the first barrier, but the one I found was - on a ledge on the left cliff face is a teleport that will zap you across to the cliff fortress that's also protected by a barrier. After defeating the black ring dudes inside, there's a lever to take the first set of barriers down.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Jaesun said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Ulthrings Armor is just fucking amazing, and you can pick up one piece in each fortress iirc, so skipping it is not an option.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip.
But you only get it if you mindread the bosses, keep that in mind.

fuck.. fuck... FUCK!!... cleared three fortresses without fucking mindreading... FUCK!!

Admiral jimbob said:

Absolutely. In fact, of the many builds I tried, the most fun is a fighter/ranger/mage. Put heaps of points in INT (by far the most important stat as it affects magic damage of weapons as well as spells). Also, dual wield is better than 2H if you equip 2 weapons with pleanty of magic damage with lots of points in INT and max out DW asap. Coupled with exposive arrows/magic missile spam + wotbm + charge! = fucking unstoppable!

Mangoose said:
What's the most fun build? Played back when I needed an English translation patch and was bored to death by melee spam. I just started a Ranger but I"m open to change. before I get too far.

See above...

Crispy said:

See above...

pipka said:
Don't forget, guys, to kill more than 20 rabbits. You'll get nice surprise.

Haha, don't kill your 20th (actually I think it's 24 or 25) rabbit until you're at least lvl 25 you'll get yourself one-shotted in a most embarrising fashion (I'm speaking from experience).

GOTFY for my money. I really hope Larian do well out of this effort - you can see the obvious passion that went into making DKS. I love the fact you can get on thier forums and actually speak to the devs (including Lars himself) too. These guys actually love their game and take pride in what they do and are only too happy to take critisism/suggestions etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom