Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

DraQ

Arcane
Games where you can be a dragon? no

In Drakan at least you can ride one.
There've been a few that either definitely weren't RPGs or shouldn't be counted as such like The I of The Dragon* or Dragon Commander.

*) IoTD as a whole was quite meh, but it had cool dragons, destructible environment and spell effects. You could play as one of 3 dragons - a blue ice dragon focused on speed and frequent, versatile spellcasting, a red fiery dragon that mostly hit stuff hard with breath weapons but could also augment his natural weapons with infrequently cast (game featured cooldown system) WMD grade spells and acid breathing black dragon with tank-like durability and knack for necromancy.
It did have stats and level ups (and a cool feature - dragons subtly grew and developed visually as they leveled up) but I wouldn't call it an RPG.

exe

Augur
So I played through the whole game and had great fun. Played Risen before, any other similar games over the years I missed?

T. Reich

Arcane
No, it's not.

The community patch fixes the numerous technical issues and bugs and some numerical imbalances, and it improves the graphics and animations somewhat, but it does NOT fix the inherently shitty combat mechanices, nor does it fix the retarded quests and dialogues and plot.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Best case scenario, Gothic 3 could have shipped unpolished - meaning only bugs and glitches, easily ironed out. But it didn't. Gothic 3 wasn't just unpolished, it was unfinished. No amount of patching can fix this.

T. Reich

Arcane
There was a series of video reviews of the Gothic series posted recently, here's the part on Gothic 3:

Personally, I agree with a lot of his points, and the reviewer did play G3 with the communtiy patch installed.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Play Gothic 3 if you want to play some sort of mix between Gothic and Elder Scrolls.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Divinity2 looks p.short when I saw the main quest line. Good because I managed to finish it.
Finished it week ago, breaking my Larian's curse where I stopped playing their games few hours after start.
Feels good man.

About Gothic3... without unofficial patches combat is about mashing buttons to chop enmies down before they response while patched up they slash you down because Gothic always suck when it comes to fight against more than 1 enemy at once.
But I don't get the argument about fedex quests and shallowness. It sounds funny on the site where people praise hot garbage with them in it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Divinity 2 is larian's writing and humor at its finest (not even sarcasm)

LWsdE3WeT0.jpg

the second option is really comedy gold

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Best case scenario, Gothic 3 could have shipped unpolished - meaning only bugs and glitches, easily ironed out. But it didn't. Gothic 3 wasn't just unpolished, it was unfinished. No amount of patching can fix this.
You can fix unpolished and you can fix unfinished, what you can't fix is fundamentally retarded.
The game is retarded because it was unfinished. If you could fix unfinished, I would be playing Gothic 3 right now.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
It's still one of my favorite games, even if the plot has holes and the combat is not as good as D:OS. But like some people wrote, the humor still makes me at least giggle and at least they use the story to give me some new exciting location. Damn, now I want to replay it again.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's still one of my favorite games, even if the plot has holes and the combat is not as good as D:OS. But like some people wrote, the humor still makes me at least giggle and at least they use the story to give me some new exciting location. Damn, now I want to replay it again.
Div 2 is definitely larian's best attempt at writing and humor

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Agreed. Jan van Dosselaer (the lead writer) did a good job there. I don't know why it didn't hit as hard in D:OS, but I guess it was because of the size of the game, that he couldn't polish it as much (although the writing in D:OS isn't as bad as people say. At least it fits the fairytale-tone of the game). I am very curious how the writing and story of D:OS 2 will turn out.

Old One

Arcane
In D2 I liked the puzzle with the rooms that were mirror images of each other. I figured it out pretty fast, but it was still nice, like a puzzle from an old adventure game from the 1980s.

The only thing about D2 that really profoundly bugged me was the Diablo-style loot and equipment system it inherited from the first two games. I'm not a fan of sifting through a pile of 30 magic swords in order to pluck out the one with marginally superior stats. That's not very magical.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if Larian will tackle this kind of 3D RPG again antime soon. As much as I love their new RPGs they really knew how to make a fun 3D game too, with great exploration and a bit of platforming and the ability to turn into a dragon and then explore that way. Maybe with their new studios they have enough time and man power to put out an Ego Draconis 2 some day.

DraQ

Arcane
Keep dragon fights out. I enjoyed Divinity 2 but the dragon fights were tedious and not fun to play.
You see, that's why opinions of random inbreds such as yourself aren't worth shit.
+M
Dragon fights were tedious and not fun to play because they were poorly designed, not because they were dragon fights.

Dropping features just because you or someone else did them sloppily the last time around only leads to shitty, repetitive games with less features and no new ones.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If they can't do them properly, I don't want them in the game. I didn't have much trouble with the fights. They were just shit, just like your above comment.

They dragged on for far too long and weren't well made. They weren't hard, they just weren't well made.

DraQ

Arcane
If they can't do them properly, I don't want them in the game.
That replicates the worst of Bethpizda logic:
  1. To-hit mechanics was kinda awkward? Remove it and make attacks always hit.
  2. Medium armor lacked sets that could compete with top tier light and heavy? Cut it.
  3. Some people didn't see the point (heh) of spears? Remove spears.
  4. There were no artifact grade axes? Make axes blunt.
  5. Crossbows were kind of weak because of material restrictions? Remove crossbows, thrown weapons too.
  6. Trying to rework attribute system after throwing away to-hit made it pointless duplicate of skills! Remove attribute system.
  7. And so on...
:hearnoevil:
Now if it was still at most 2005 I would class you as maybe not the brightest bulb in the box and carry on, but alas it's 2016, we've all seen what this kind of logic leads to and thus your post classes you as profoundly retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom