Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

dr. one

Augur
Saxon1974 said:
What difficulty is recommended? I like a challenge but it sounds like this one is even on normal

judging by my limited experience, i´d recommend hard.
it´s more likely to force you to take better advantage of available options and this plays well to the game´s strengths since most of its mechanics are well designed, loot rules and exploration rocks.
up till the point i´m at (level 17), the game has mostly felt rather similar to G2:NotR, difficulty-wise.

DKS rewards its player at every fucking step, be it an incredible vista, a cool piece of loot, a newly heard track from overall pretty much unequalled soundtrack, a memorable character, a great joke, etc.
looking up the fiery malestrom around the tower, with my trusty (Rare) Bear´s Balanced Heavy Kings Sword of the Firebat in hands, the music kicks in ... larger-than-life moment right here.
i feel that higher level of challenge gives all these things more weight.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
root said:
that's...weird. i think my character build was kinda schizo, then. as a rule, i had a lot more trouble with normal mobs (tons of them! at the same time!) than with bosses

laiken was...quite disappointing, to be honest. so was FoV's last boss.

ah well, all good things come to an end.
I cakewalked thru all of FoV but the last boss was incredibly difficult, all of a sudden. Several reloads were necessary and when I finally won it was only with permanent jumping and flipping around and with permanent drinking of the strongest healing & rejuvenation potions. Sure, I had to fight both the chick and the mage at once because I freed him earlier, but I had maxed INT,DEX,STR and the rest of the stats were all > 80. All resistances were maxed at 66% and 75% respectively. Yet this stupid chick would kill me in melee within 2 or 3 seconds. What did I do wrong?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't forget to apply patch. They changed balance and made rare highly enchanted items hard to find at start. (So no a sword with 100 physical damage in the shop for few hundred gold.) Also before patch I was able to attack majority of opponent in fortresses without them doing anything...

BTW I have a sword with +100 physical, and +75 magical damage, and a third enchantment.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Since I usually only have an hour or two per night go play after the baby goes to sleep I think I will stick with normal.

Larian definitely has some talent. Even though its generic fantasy it has a nice unique art style and the voice overs are the least cringe worth I have ever heard.

I think they made the armor textures look better in DKS. They look shinier and more like metal.

The soundtrack guy is fantastic too

bhlaab

Erudite
Saxon1974 said:
Dissapointed to hear broken valley is the only major city though

I was wrong. I played some more and the Ojorodboros Fjords are not nearly as empty as they first appear, and it appears that there are more areas after that.

My fault, I guess, for expecting a gothic clone where there isn't one. It's not really an huge open-world game, it's more like a linear series of smaller open worlds. You are forced to "finish" Broken Valley at some point and move forward.

Saxon1974

Prophet
bhlaab said:
Saxon1974 said:
Dissapointed to hear broken valley is the only major city though

I was wrong. I played some more and the Ojorodboros Fjords are not nearly as empty as they first appear, and it appears that there are more areas after that.

My fault, I guess, for expecting a gothic clone where there isn't one. It's not really an huge open-world game, it's more like a linear series of smaller open worlds. You are forced to "finish" Broken Valley at some point and move forward.

Was hoping for a wide open game too....more like the first DD game but oh well still doesn't sound too bad.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ED WAS TOO MUCH FOR A BRO ON HARD I HAD TO SEPERATE EACH GUY AT MY LEVEL OR ONE BELOW AND STRAFE AROUND AND SHIT IT WAS TOUGH

Black

Arcane
Worst game ever, I have an exam today and I didn't learn anything because of Div 2.
Stupid piece of shit.

Murk

Arcane
Ulthric's armor set is taken from the leaders of the fortresses -- you don't have to clear the fortress at all, just take out the towers in dragon form then look for chests -- drop in as a human and loot 'em and run away to morph back into dragon form again. do that til you clear the area and then just drop in on the teleporter that takes you to the boss' lair.

I did that for 3 of the fortresses

TheLostOne

Savant
As far as difficulty, I recommend Hard as well. Normal means shit dies too easily and you never need a potion. Nightmare means I run out of potions during bigger fights and cry myself to sleep.

Hard keeps things dicey without ruining the fun. You still need to play smart, dodge projectiles and use potions, you're just not degenerating to mashing buttons and sobbing while death rains down faster than you can quaff heals.

zeitgeist

Magister
Could someone please give me a brief comparison between the paperdolling (i.e. variety of armor, visible equipment, etc.) and general (non-visible but affecting gameplay) equipment/weapon customization in Two Worlds 2 and Divinity 2? I thought both were pretty decent in TW2, for a console game at least.

Murk

Arcane
It seemed pretty hard at first glance -- i thought there was going to be statues in every corner/angle -- but then i wrote down who said what and where. it was a simple exercise in logic - but it was still nice to have to actually use pen and paper to solve a puzzle instead of super simple word-play.

Murk

Arcane
I did -- the note you find on the corpse also clues you into the statues lying.

The Journal won't tell you where each statue is located so you would have a harder time figuring out which statue is "room-mating" with the other.

made

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
Could someone please give me a brief comparison between the paperdolling (i.e. variety of armor, visible equipment, etc.) and general (non-visible but affecting gameplay) equipment/weapon customization in Two Worlds 2 and Divinity 2? I thought both were pretty decent in TW2, for a console game at least.

DKS broke the loot game by adding op DLC armor sets to the first area that made 90% of regular loot obsolete. It wasn't until the Fjord that I started upgrading gear again, but soon after a new op set became available in the fortresses. Not very exciting, but probably still better than 2W2's formulaic "new loot every 2 lvls" approach.

made

Arcane
I like collecting armor sets. Not my fault devs decided to piss on game balance.

Arcanoix

Scholar
1. So WTF is the difference between Ego Draconis and The Dragon Knight Saga?

2. Do both versions run on the shitty Gamebryo engine?

3. Is it moddable?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So its a diablo clone....

Hmm?

Can someone explain why this garner so much attention on the codex?

Isnt it Pop-a-mole?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Arcanoix said:

3. Is it moddable?

1. DKS is ED + the expansion FoV with a few tweaks and rebalancing.

2. Yes, but it's the best Gamebryo has ever looked - almost unrecognisable.

3. Not easily I suspect.

deus101 said:

Hmm?

Isnt it Pop-a-mole?

It's no Diablo clone, but it is a bit pop-a-mole. Combat, depending on your build is kinda fun though.

It's quite a bit more than just an ARPG. Like DD before it there's a considerable amount of RPG here, with some good quest design, nice dialog, good story with a coupla twists.

You can approach many quests a few different ways and there's not a lot of handholding. You can even fail quests - which is almost unheard of these days.

It's very much like Diablo on one regard - as the thread title suggests, IT's FUCKING ADDICTIVE!! :incline:

Some people still refer to the original DD as a Diablo clone too - always make me :x

DraQ

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
No, but I can describe Divinity2's system:

You get slots for helm, gauntlets, leg armour, torso armour, 3 sets of equipped weapons, two rings, amulet, belt, earrings, and a bracelet. All save for jewelry and belt show up on your character.

1h weapons can be dual wielded or single wielded with or without shield.

Armour system is simplistic, with simple separate ratings for magic, ranged and melee resistance, there are 7 'archetypes' of armour focusing on protection from 7 possible combinations of aforementioned attacks. There are 3 or four tiers for each archetype distinguished by looks and protection level.

Weapons generally do two kinds of damage - magical and physical, the former scales with int, the latter with str. They can also crit (scales with dex). Different weapons may put different emphasis on different damage types.

Shields work like armour, but are treated as weapons.
What I described are base items, then there is shitload of derived randomly generated weapons, jewelry and armours divided in several tiers of "epicness" based on the amount of boosts, enchantments and charms.
And then there are one-of-a-kind items, and sets that give bonuses when used together.

Enchantments can be put on the items with the aid of an enchanter if you have proper recipe and resources (gems and ores), they can also be removed but the resources are not recovered. Enchantments may provide various interesting effects, such as chance to poison or ignite enemy, chance to leech life or mana, extra damage, defensive auras, extra regen, extra health or mana, magical retaliation, extra protection and so on.

Charms are simple items that add various simple, but useful bonuses. They can be inserted at any time without anyone's aid, but are there to stay.

made said:
DKS broke the loot game by adding op DLC armor sets
I :rage: d as well.

Arcanoix said:
DKS is ED+FoV but with some changes and extras added to the ED part.
DKS is incompatibile with neither ED nor FoV.

Yes, but they actually look quite gorgeous.

3. Is it moddable?
Not that I know of, but it is not a TES kind of game.

Mikayel said:
I did -- the note you find on the corpse also clues you into the statues lying.

The Journal won't tell you where each statue is located so you would have a harder time figuring out which statue is "room-mating" with the other.
I took notes on the margin of in-game map and marked the statues there. Then it was simple logic. Still, a pretty nice puzzle overall, as it actually involved some thinking on player's part.

deus101 said:

Hmm?

Technically it is. There is no such thing as non-combat build and you run around all the time whacking stuff upside the head and grabbing randomized lewt.

But then there is crapload of dialogues, often witty, some C&C, quests, often branching, actual plot with twists which despite entire game being tongue-in-cheek and over-the-top high fantasy doesn't go full retard (think Anachronox or Wizardry 8, rather than MDK 2).

And then there are puzzles, refreshing lack of handholding and somewhat elusive 'oldskool' vibe.

On top of all this, soundtrack is awesome, visuals are good, game is surprisingly atmospheric, and voice-acting actually contributes to the game rather than detracting from it.

Isnt it Pop-a-mole?
No, it isn't.

Ruprekt

Scholar
It isn't gamebryo per-se that's awful. Bethesda appparently are inept at implementing it: hence you can install a .DLL called "oblivion stutter remover" which does it exactly what it says.

DraQ

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
It isn't gamebryo per-se that's awful.
I'd say it is, but Bethesda's ineptitude doesn't help, obviously.

Larian, OTOH did some miracles with it - you can still see the bad aspects, it's still a resource hog, and so on, for example, but the bad aspects are barely noticeable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom