Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It mostly comes down to how much of a hard on you have for your games being DRM free. It's also worth mentioning that via GOG Connect you can sometimes get GOG copies of stuff you own on Steam (this never happens the other way around). Sales/discounts are mostly the same across the board with the exception of GOG's catalogue of actual 'classic' games that tend to get deeper discounts.

Turjan

Arcane
Regarding regional price differences, I think the northern Euro countries get the most out of GOG, which makes games often slightly cheaper in that area than on Steam (indirectly, via wallet funds). Steam prices for that region are generally the highest (mostly due to local taxes), and GOG seems to eat part of the tax bill. Should the value of the dollar rise or the Euro go down, that advantage would be gone, but this has been mostly stable since introduction of this pricing scheme.

Sales/discounts are mostly the same across the board with the exception of GOG's catalogue of actual 'classic' games that tend to get deeper discounts.
The daily deals during the winter sale on GOG brought back a few better discounts, but you are generally right. There's also the freebies associated with sales, but those are very much hit and miss, depending on what you like or already have.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding regional price differences, I think the northern Euro countries get the most out of gog.com, which makes games often slightly cheaper in that area than on Steam (indirectly, via wallet funds).
I don't know which countries you count as northern Euro, but this is not true for Norway. Of course, Norway isn't EU, so maybe we're an exception.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turjan

Arcane
Regarding regional price differences, I think the northern Euro countries get the most out of gog.com, which makes games often slightly cheaper in that area than on Steam (indirectly, via wallet funds).
I don't know which countries you count as northern Euro, but this is not true for Norway. Of course, Norway isn't EU, so maybe we're an exception.
Euro as in currency, and Northern (like France or Germany), as many developers give better prices to southern European countries with Euros (like Italy, Greece) on Steam.

Of course, if you bring other sellers of Steam keys than Steam itself into the equation, the picture changes again.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It mostly comes down to how much of a hard on you have for your games being DRM free.

Or another way to read that is, it mostly comes down to: when you pay for a game, do you want to own it or do you want to rent it? If you want to own it, buy it on GOG, if you want to pay for a revocable license to play it, then go with Steam.

lightbane

Arcane
GOG used to be better than nowadays, where they do some shady practices such as abstaining from including the latest update available for a game, not warning about the game's DRM if it has any (such as registering to "x" webpage to play online), not including free extras and/or DLCs that the Steam equivalent does have and so on. Also, GOG has an eye-gouging bad interface for the main webpage that hinders you more than anything else.

If they continue going like this, Steam will become the lesser evil.

ADL

Prophet
It seems every time I find out about an interesting game and look it up, it's either a staggered GOG release or has been outright denied. Most recently https://store.steampowered.com/app/428880/The_Quest/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

Will the game be available on GOG?

Unfortunately, we have been declined. So no.

(They said that "it appears to be too niche for our users".)

What the fuck? Why? It's sort of a spiritual successor to Daggerfall and M&M and those are on GOG. I'll take Steam's approach of accepting a hundred babby's first Unity projects a day to GOG deciding whether or not a (good) game is sold on their platform.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, the way they choose what games to accept or not seems pretty retarded. Going by some of the stories it sounds more like some kind of shitty AI with broken logic is behind the process.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If they put Warlock on there then it doesn't make sense. Someone messed up or maybe the Warlock guys have big corporate dicks to edge out the competition.

Melcar

Arcane
GOG used to be better than nowadays, where they do some shady practices such as abstaining from including the latest update available for a game, not warning about the game's DRM if it has any (such as registering to "x" webpage to play online), not including free extras and/or DLCs that the Steam equivalent does have and so on. Also, GOG has an eye-gouging bad interface for the main webpage that hinders you more than anything else.

If they continue going like this, Steam will become the lesser evil.

Their website is horrible now. And yes, they are forcing all of their users to move to their client, so they don't always post the latest installer on their download section. Don't personally care about the extras for the most part, but it is a bit shitty.

Melcar

Arcane
so they don't always post the latest installer on their download section. Don't personally care about the extras for the most part, but it is a bit shitty

The fuck?

Need some citation needed.

It's not that they don't upload them at all, but they sometimes take their sweet time doing so. Obviously with their client you get priority.

Turjan

Arcane
so they don't always post the latest installer on their download section. Don't personally care about the extras for the most part, but it is a bit shitty

The fuck?

Need some citation needed.

It's not that they don't upload them at all, but they sometimes take their sweet time doing so. Obviously with their client you get priority.
The reason for this difference lies in who makes the changes. Changing files for the autopatcher on Galaxy is done by the developer. Making changes to the website, like posting patch notes or linking update files, is done by gog.com staff. The latter obviously takes longer.

Turjan

Arcane
Changing files for the autopatcher on Galaxy is done by the developer.
They're allowing that now?
I remember some developers complaining about delays that came from GOG's "everything must be checked manually" patch approval process.
Some developer mentioned that (I don't remember who though). I guess they had enough of Pathfinder: Kingmaker's daily patches.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I heard that if you add Order of Battle on Steam and then use GOG Connect then you get paid DLC for free on GOG - "US Pacific" to be precise.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I always face the same dilemna when buying on GoG. My cart is full of many $2 old games while the recent games I want to play are naturally more expensive, but I don't want to end up buying only the old ones because then no money goes to actual game making devs.

mwnn85

Savant
I heard that if you add Order of Battle on Steam and then use GOG Connect then you get paid DLC for free on GOG - "US Pacific" to be precise.
Yes that works - done it myself.

I found I had to download Order of Battle fully through STEAM before GOG Connect would see it.
That could be a quirk on my end - Order of Battle wouldn't stay in my steam library list without being installed.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom