Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It mostly comes down to how much of a hard on you have for your games being DRM free.

Or another way to read that is, it mostly comes down to: when you pay for a game, do you want to own it or do you want to rent it? If you want to own it, buy it on GOG, if you want to pay for a revocable license to play it, then go with Steam.
I paid like $45 (in 1990's currency) for Space Quest 4. It's 'worth' about $1 today (and that's even assuming I had bothered to keep the CDs which I didn't). Again, if your hard on extends to 'owning' a copy of a video game, more power to you. But it's hardly the same argument as to ownership of a house or car or even second hand computer hardware.

And the whole notion of Steam's license being 'revocable' is purely theoretical at this point since the only instance Valve has ever yanked keys is when people buy them off of grey-market websites.

Naraya

Arcane
Yeeeah... You can say a lot of things about GOG but their email marketing is always on point. They spam me whenever a sale is SOON to be, whenever it BEGINS, whenever it's ON and whenever it ENDS. Also - whenever there is a LAST CHANCE to grab something I might like.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Need a little help .

Got a limited budget so which one to grab from these ?

Racing:

Carmageddon: Max Damage
Ignition
Powerslide
Star Wars Episode I: Racer

Simulation:

Capitalism 1 or 2
Darkstar One
Railroad Tycoon 1 or 2 or 3
SimCity 3000 Unlimited
Tachyon: The Frindge

Role- playing:

Challenge of the Five Realms
Dragon Wars
Evil Island
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus
Rage of Mages 1 or 2
Tender Loving Care
Thunderscape ( not on sale )
Wizards & Warrirors

Shooter:

Army Men ( which one from the series )
Call of Juarez
Catacombs Pack
Conflict: Desert Storm
Crime Cities
Eradicator
Iron Storm
Killing Time
Parkan: Iron Strategy or Parkan: The Imperial Chronicles
Requiem: Avenging Angel
Singularity
Soldier of Fortune ( which one )
The Original Strife: Veteran Edition
The Suffering 1 & 2
TimeShift
Turok 1 or 2
X.Com: Enforcer

Strategy:

Act of War: Gold Edition
Black Moon Chronicles
Chaos Overlords ( not on sale )
Close Combat ( which one since i'm interested only the german and russian part )
Codename Panzers : Phase one & Two
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Conqueror A.D. 1086
Conquest: Frontier Wars
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Fallen Heaven and Fallen Heaven: Liberation Day
Final Liberation: Warhammer Epic 40,000
Helldorado
Imperium Galactica and Imperium Galactica II: Alliances
Impossible Creatures
O.R.B. : Off-World Resource Base
Pizza Connection 1 or 2
Robo Rumble
Strategic Command: European Theathre
Sudden Strike 1 or 2 or 3
War Wind 1 and 2
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate
Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War
Warhammer 40,000: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warrior Kings and Warrior Kings: Battles
X- Com ( which one )

Adventure:

Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy
BloodNet
Atlantis 1 or 3 ( already own Atlantis 2 )
Eric the Unready
Inherit the Earth
Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure
Lighthouse: The Dark Being
Lost Eden
Manhole
Mission Critical
Myst III and Myst IV
Noctropolis
Post Mortem
Reah
Return to Mysterious Island
Rise of the Dragon
Schizm
Shivers
Spellcasting 1+2+3
The Colonel's Bequest
The Dagger of Amon Ra
The Dame Was Loaded
Timelapse
Titanic: Adventure out of Time

Action:

Alien Breed +Tower Assault
Alien Rampage
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Delta Force ( which one )
GUN
Hidden and Dangerous 1 or 2 ( not on sale )
Hocus Pocus
Humans Bundle
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Mafia 1 or 2
Men of Valor
Prehistorik 1+2
Sea Dogs ( which one )
Secret Agent
Shattered Steel
SWAT 4: Gold Edition
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
Uprising 1 and 2

Modron

Arcane
Need a little help .

Eric the Unready
Mission Critical
Spellcasting 1+2+3
The Colonel's Bequest
The Dagger of Amon Ra
Mafia 1
X-Com: UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep
Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Morkar Left

Racing: no idea

Simulation:
no idea from the collection. But I think there are better options

Role- playing:
Dragon Wars
Wizards & Warrirors
Get those, my recommendation is Wizards & Warriors, but check first if it runs on your system and check some site explains bugs

Shooter: not really an idea because they are really different
Call of Juarez is worth a try

Strategy:
Chaos Overlords ( not on sale ); pretty good for a couple of hours or a weekend because it plays fast. But check out if it runs on your system. And wait dfor a sale (but get it some time)
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate; probably my WH40K favorite so far, again check for bugs on new systems
Warhammer 40,000: Shadow of the Horned Rat; decent but Dark Omen is better (but hard to get it going on modern systems)

Adventure:
whatever story engages you the most really...

Action:
Mafia 1 or 2
Sea Dogs ( which one ) I would say get the City of abandoned ships for that small pricetag. Otherwise SD: To Each His Own on Steam as the latest addition (but it can be really hard with some typical russian grinding and abusing the system to win some things, but best combat and content so far). Or try to get a copy of Pirates of the Carribean and install New Horizons. The combat is way worse and simple but you have the most content with different storylines (including an actual PotC storyline) and strat customization. Plus you can sail in 3D from one island to another instead of using the map.

Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense (1994). Thank me later.

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Remember to install OpenXcom for it.

Racing: no idea

Simulation:
no idea from the collection. But I think there are better options

Role- playing:
Dragon Wars
Wizards & Warrirors
Get those, my recommendation is Wizards & Warriors, but check first if it runs on your system and check some site explains bugs

Shooter: not really an idea because they are really different
Call of Juarez is worth a try

Strategy:
Chaos Overlords ( not on sale ); pretty good for a couple of hours or a weekend because it plays fast. But check out if it runs on your system. And wait dfor a sale (but get it some time)
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate; probably my WH40K favorite so far, again check for bugs on new systems
Warhammer 40,000: Shadow of the Horned Rat; decent but Dark Omen is better (but hard to get it going on modern systems)

Adventure:
whatever story engages you the most really...

Action:
Mafia 1 or 2
Sea Dogs ( which one ) I would say get the City of abandoned ships for that small pricetag. Otherwise SD: To Each His Own on Steam as the latest addition (but it can be really hard with some typical russian grinding and abusing the system to win some things, but best combat and content so far). Or try to get a copy of Pirates of the Carribean and install New Horizons. The combat is way worse and simple but you have the most content with different storylines (including an actual PotC storyline) and strat customization. Plus you can sail in 3D from one island to another instead of using the map.

Thank you for the recommendations .

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Need a little help .

If I were to choose one game in every category:

Racing:
Ignition

Simulation:

Role- playing:
Wizards & Warrirors

Shooter:
Soldier of Fortune ( first one, sequel is garbage)

Strategy:

Action:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Need a little help .

Racing:
All good, but Powerslide is not for everybody. Carmageddon Max Damage is ok but the original games (1 and 2) are much better.

Simulation:
SimCity 3000 Unlimited

Role- playing:
Tender Loving Care, one of the best RPG games.

Shooter:
Soldier of Fortune - The first one, use this mod

Strategy:
X- Com - The original

Adventure:
Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure -> defintely don't waste your money on this, it's pretty but it's a garbage game

Action:
Mafia 1
SWAT 4: Gold Edition, great game especially with Elite Force mod

Cosmo and Prehistorik 1 are two childhood favorites of mine. I still enjoy both but Cosmo is certainly the better of the two. You can't go wrong with any of the old Apogee platformers really. They often show up in bundles and then you can pick up the entire collection for pennies. That's how I came to own them on Steam.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
If I were to choose one game in every category:

Racing:
Ignition

Simulation:

Role- playing:
Wizards & Warrirors

Shooter:
Soldier of Fortune ( first one, sequel is garbage)

Strategy:

Action:

Racing:
All good, but Powerslide is not for everybody. Carmageddon Max Damage is ok but the original games (1 and 2) are much better.

Simulation:
SimCity 3000 Unlimited

Role- playing:
Tender Loving Care, one of the best RPG games.

Shooter:
Soldier of Fortune - The first one, use this mod

Strategy:
X- Com - The original

Adventure:
Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure -> defintely don't waste your money on this, it's pretty but it's a garbage game

Action:
Mafia 1
SWAT 4: Gold Edition, great game especially with Elite Force mod

Cosmo and Prehistorik 1 are two of my childhood favorites. I still enjoy both but Cosmo is certainly the better of the two. You can't go wrong with any of the old Apogee platformers in general. They often show up in bundles and then you can pick up the entire collection for pennies. That's how I came to own them on Steam.

Thank you .

Still not received any recommendations from the adventure games list .

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any thoughts about The Saboteur ?

Pure incline! One of the few open world games that understand the concept of open world. Meaning that right from the very beginning, as you walk out of a seedy Parisian nightclub (literally the first thing you see in this game are naked tits and swastikas) you'll be able to go visit the Eiffel Tower and climb all the way to the top. Or, if you should so desire, you can go pay a visit to the German border. Go anywhere, do anything!

The story is pure insanity, as you'll take on evil SS-overlord, Rutger Hauer-lookalike and part-time race driver Kurt Dierker. The protagonist (a drunken Irishman - I know, redundancy...) has Spiderman-like super powers and can climb any building with ease. There are some stealth mechanics they took from the Hitman series, where you can use the uniforms of slain nazis as a disguise. You can beat up French civilians with impunity. Or better yet: grapple them and throw them into oncoming traffic and enjoy some cool ragdoll effects. After a number of casualties the French resistance will send their best men after you. Boo-hoo, more target practice. Wreak bloody havoc and then throw the Jerries off your tail by using public restrooms.

This game is littered with bugs but 99% of them are the fun variety that just add to the overall insanity. Things like vehicles being catapulted half-way across the map if you slam into them just hard enough. I once drove a tank into a cow and that made the cannon go spinning like a helicopter blade.

It's one of the most amazingly fun things I've ever played and currently ranks #3 as the most played game in my gog library. I highly recommend it, if you can handle the insanity.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

A_boring_GOG_bot

Self-Ejected
Personally I'd go with Eric. One of the very best.

Laura Bow games (Colonel's Bequest and Dagger of Amon Ra) are good.

Fun once.

Pure incline! One of the few open world games that understand the concept of open world. Meaning that right from the very beginning, as you walk out of a seedy Parisian nightclub (literally the first thing you see in this game are naked tits and swastikas) you'll be able to go visit the Eiffel Tower and climb all the way to the top. Or, if you should so desire, you can go pay a visit to the German border. Go anywhere, do anything!

The story is pure insanity, as you'll take on evil SS-overlord, Rutger Hauer-lookalike and part-time race driver Kurt Dierker. The protagonist (a drunken Irishman - I know, redundancy...) has Spiderman-like super powers and can climb any building with ease. There are some stealth mechanics they took from the Hitman series, where you can use the uniforms of slain nazis as a disguise. You can beat up French civilians with impunity. Or better yet: grapple them and throw them into oncoming traffic and enjoy some cool ragdoll effects. After a number of casualties the French resistance will send their best men after you. Boo-hoo, more target practice. Wreak bloody havoc and then throw the Jerries off your tail by using public restrooms.

This game is littered with bugs but 99% of them are the fun variety that just add to the overall insanity. Things like vehicles being catapulted half-way across the map if you slam into them just hard enough. I once drove a tank into a cow and that made the cannon go spinning like a helicopter blade.

It's one of the most amazingly fun things I've ever played and currently ranks #3 as the most played game in my gog library. I highly recommend it, if you can handle the insanity.

Cross of Iron is basically somewhat improved Close Combat 3.
Doesn't really fix basic problems of CC3, but it is still the better version.

Thanks .

Modron

Arcane
Any thoughts about The Saboteur ?
Don't do it, the game strives to imitate both Asscreed and GTA and comes out this weird bastard that is nowhere near fun as either of those. Furthermore, the gameplay is lacking consisting of a handful of story missions then 4000 thousand targets to blow up with little reason to do so as the game gets even easier and you should have acquired all the character upgrades and all the money you could use after the first couple hundred demolitions. The only people I could recommend the game to are those who enjoyed a similar albeit more involved experience in Just Cause or something.

The novelty of the setting and gameplay wears off fast. I suppose if you get the game super cheap go ahead just be advised if you're getting tired of it it's not going to get any better. Scratch that just go play Mafia 1 or something for an enjoyable experience.

Modron

Arcane
The saboteur was really crippled by consoles at the time, originally it had flyable planes but they couldn't get the content to stream fast enough on consoles so they axed them entirely. Missions taking place at the airbase really screamed you normally escape from here in a plane. Probably would have been nice to have some aerial races in addition to limited amount of automobile ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom