Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Developer of Cultist Simulator revealed some storefront specific sales numbers.
http://weatherfactory.biz/state-of-the-factory-year-1/
itch: 170 units; 3.5k USD gross (but see note 2 below)

GOG: 3100 units; 11 units refunded; 58,300 USD gross

Humble: 7400 units; 135,000 USD gross

Steam: 93,000 units; 7800 units refunded; 1.46m USD gross

total: c.105,000 units, 1.76m USD gross

I'm kinda surprised that Humble seems to be more popular than GOG.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Developer of Cultist Simulator revealed some storefront specific sales numbers.
http://weatherfactory.biz/state-of-the-factory-year-1/
itch: 170 units; 3.5k USD gross (but see note 2 below)

GOG: 3100 units; 11 units refunded; 58,300 USD gross

Humble: 7400 units; 135,000 USD gross

Steam: 93,000 units; 7800 units refunded; 1.46m USD gross

total: c.105,000 units, 1.76m USD gross

I'm kinda surprised that Humble seems to be more popular than GOG.

Overall, it's not, really. Here is the sales of Timbleweed Park :

https://grumpygamer.com/twp_sales

Humble Bundle is the almost unreadable green line between Google and Steam. HB has lost a lot of PC sales those last few years, but it depend a lot on the title obviously.

EDIT : Interestingly, Cultist simulator is on the 33rd page on GOG best sales ranking, around the likes of Opus Magnum, Heroes of hammerwatch or Olliolli. It's not bad, just very average.

Last edited:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Cultist Simulator was very recently in a Monthly Bundle, so I don't know if those units include those numbers as well??

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Cultist Simulator was very recently in a Monthly Bundle, so I don't know if those units include those numbers as well??

They're not included, from the post:

If you look at SteamSpy, it estimates a lot more than that – 200,000 to 500,000 owners. Well, there are a lot more than 105,000 players of Cultist. We gave out half a million Steam keys to Humble – more than enough to trigger a warning when we made the key request to Steam. I won’t lie – it is, ah, disconcerting to see all those keys redeemed without any extra money coming our way – but John was right, our sales on other platforms have increased. And however many of those half-million eventually redeem the key, many of them would never have bought the game otherwise.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, and Humble Bundle is Cultist Simulator's publisher, not just one of distributors. So, not so surprising it sells a bit more than usual at Humble, I think.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
A lot of games on offer, which I lost by having my EA and Ubi Account deleted... amongst them:
- Dragon Age
- Mirror's Edge
- Dead Space
- Crysis
- Heroes 5
- Anno 1404

This is the chance to buy them all back DRM-free... and yet... I don't feel inclined to buy them back
rating_negativeman.png

I'm really not sure if I will ever play them again.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
even GOG is affected by layoff fever
https://kotaku.com/facing-financial-pressures-gog-quietly-lays-off-at-lea-1832879826

Steam layoffs when?

edit
here's article
Facing Financial Pressures, GOG Quietly Lays Off At Least A Dozen Staff

Amid a month full of mass layoffs across the video game industry, the digital store GOG quietly let go of what it says was a dozen staff last week. GOG, which is owned by The Witcher 3 publisher CD Projekt, did not say why the layoffs happened, but one laid-off staffer tells Kotaku that the store has been in financial trouble.

In an official statement to Kotaku this afternoon, a representative for GOG confirmed the layoffs but did not offer much more clarification. “Letting people go is never easy,” they said. “We have been rearranging certain teams since October 2018, effecting in closing around a dozen of positions last week. At the same time, since the process started we have welcomed nearly twice as many new team members, and currently hold 20 open positions.”

One person who was laid off from GOG last week offered a different perspective, saying that laid-off staff were told that this was a move made by a company in dire straits. That person estimated that the layoffs had hit 10% of GOG’s staff.

“We were told it’s a financial decision,” that person told me in an online message. “GOG’s revenue couldn’t keep up with growth, the fact that we’re dangerously close to being in the red has come up in the past few months, and the market’s move towards higher [developer] revenue shares has, or will, affect the bottom line as well. I mean, it’s just an odd situation, like things got really desperate really fast. I know that February was a really bad month, but January on the other hand was excellent. We were in the middle of a general restructuring, moving some teams around, not unprecedented. But layoffs that big have never happened before.”

The Epic Store, which launched in December, offers an 88% cut of revenues to developers, contrary to the 70% cut that was previously standard on stores like Steam and GOG—a move that will likely have a drastic impact on the entire PC landscape.

This news comes during a rocky time for the video game industry. Earlier this month, Activision Blizzard laid off 800 people, and the studio ArenaNet informed employees last week that it would enact mass layoffs, with those employees learning their fates today.

CD Projekt Red’s latest game, Gwent has been a financial disappointment, according to two people who work for the studio. Last fall, the company pointed to GOG’s small reach as one of the reasons for the game’s lack of success, quickly releasing the Thronebreaker campaign on Steam after at first declaring that it would be a GOG exclusive.

Correction (5:03pm): A previous version of this article stated that GOG was owned by The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red — it is in fact owned by the publisher, parent company CD Projekt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane

--->
We have been closing around a dozen of positions last week. At the same time we have welcomed nearly twice as many new team members, and currently hold 20 open positions.

:notsureifserious:
I'm puzzled too.
Or they kicked least productive ones for someone competent/useful?
Or they kicked out peopel who worked on old games to be playable on modern systems and focus on modern garbage?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah. I hope they employ some competent programmers. Getting a game removed from your account is really a hassle.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I like that Shitaku shills Epic's garbage in the article. Do these people shill it for free since they hate Steam so much or are Epic actually paying these leeches?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
“I know that February was a really bad month, but January on the other hand was excellent. We were in the middle of a general restructuring, moving some teams around, not unprecedented. But layoffs that big have never happened before.”

evlhnk.gif

They refused Grimoire. They brought it upon themselves.

RapineDel

Augur
GOG has longevity issues in that their original business model wasn't sustainable long term. They brought out most of the best old games early on, everyone bought them and then the "good old games" year on year have been lower in quality as times goes on as there's a reason they weren't the ones they tried to get on the store from the start.

These aren't games that grow in popularity, most people who're interested in old games have likely already bought everything they want off their store. Most of the "new" released old games are either rubbish or the few good ones couldn't be enough to sustain them. Over the last few years there have been gems like Swat 4 but it is mixed in with rubbish like Codename: Iceman, there's a reason games like that took ages to come to the store. Only a few nostalgic people are interested in it.

I also think their quality standard reviews etc. are possibly detrimental. I'll buy anything DRM free first and foremost but sometimes the wait just kills it. With ATOM RPG there was certainly no guarantee it would be on GOG so I bit the bullet and bought it on Steam, literally a week or so later, it appeared on GOG out of nowhere. If it had of been on both storefronts from the start I would've got it off GOG no question but they lost a sale because of the delay and I'm sure plenty of others are in the same boat.

Not really sure what they can do as the few newer releases with publishers who don't care about DRM are few and far between. Games like Elex or Darksiders 3 are never going to keep a storefront afloat but some sort of move to DRM for SOME games would be a bit of a slippery slope IMO. If they offer it then other developers would want it too and suddenly the store just becomes a clone of Steam, making it useless.

Probably at a stage now where it's good marketing for their games but probably not much of a revenue generator going forward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom