Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Is it though? It definitely used to happen, but when is the last time you saw a AAA game get to GOG. Old Bethesda games? CDRP's own games? They're getting decade old games and new indie stuff, which is usually trash.

There's more to gaming than the AAA market.
Not if you're a company trying to make money distributing digital copies of games. Also not if you're a consumer trying to get DRM-free copies of games, thus requiring that distribution company to stay afloat.

Gord

Arcane
I think some people here underestimate the amount of money it takes to run a service like GOG half-decently.
It's not just some bandwith and a few servers in an old shack.
Patches, customer care, technical support (both for devs and customers) - it might not be much individually, but over the whole portfolio, it still does amount to something.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Maybe I should download all games one of these days.

Yep. If nothing else we'll have the first ever opportunity to see what happens when a major digital store goes down.
GOG torrents will take over. Hell, I expect the torrent site would even look like GOG. People will justify it by saying that it's just a place where everyone has backed up their games, a way to get what they paid for now that the company as gone belly up. And since there most likely won't be any other DRM-free platform, torrents will not only be justifiable but seem legitimate since they'd be the only way to get DRM-free games.

But anyways GOG isn't going down any time soon, they'll at least try to make the most of the CP2077 release. And if it fails, I don't see them sinking CDPRed just to keep GOG.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
GOG is the modern incarnation of the original distribution company that was the CD Projekt (get it?). There's no way it gets shut down as quickly as some people are thinking. If the financial trouble persist, they'll downsize to a skeleton staff and reduce the quality of service to developers, but the games there right now aren't going anywhere.

Removal

Scholar
I wonder how much was spent on their newer and terrible storefront
I'm still upset they got rid of the user organized "mixes", those were generally helpful

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I mean, they only needed to do a few things:
1) Make a storefront that doesn't suck so bad that it hurts functionality
2) Release games that people want to play
3) Stick to their guns and not pander to mentally ill people radicals who don't buy their games

Why is it so hard to do at least one of these things?

:rage:

Boleskine

Arcane
I think some people here underestimate the amount of money it takes to run a service like GOG half-decently.
It's not just some bandwith and a few servers in an old shack.
Patches, customer care, technical support (both for devs and customers) - it might not be much individually, but over the whole portfolio, it still does amount to something.

I can't imagine it's been easy for GOG to provide technical support for so many games (mainly the old ones).

This isn't helped by how archaic and clunky their forum infrastructure is. I assume that's one reason that few developers post on the GOG forums for their games.

GOG should rethink their system from the ground up. As others have said the storefront is terrible. Developer tools for managing their games and interacting with the customers could be better.

GOG torrents will take over. Hell, I expect the torrent site would even look like GOG. People will justify it by saying that it's just a place where everyone has backed up their games, a way to get what they paid for now that the company as gone belly up. And since there most likely won't be any other DRM-free platform, torrents will not only be justifiable but seem legitimate since they'd be the only way to get DRM-free games.

But anyways GOG isn't going down any time soon, they'll at least try to make the most of the CP2077 release. And if it fails, I don't see them sinking CDPRed just to keep GOG.

CD Projekt started out as software pirates, so it's only fitting that's how GOG will end up.

Love

Cipher
I don't like the changing of layouts anyway. The same thing goes for the display and aisles in my local supermarket. Why are they so keen on messing up the system the customer has accommodated himself to?

This is an international conspiracy of a rootless group of people that can carry out their mischievous deeds from anywhere in the world becaue they are freed from the dependency on their native soil for work: Web designers!

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Couldn't GOG be simply cutting their fat, as they are not really doing anything with their store front, and have decided they can make more money by trimming staff and cutting back on handing out money to consumers?

Draxylon

Savant
I remember someone posted here in the codex a script to download all the user GOG Library. Anyone knows where is it amd if it still works?

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
If CD Projekt really want GOG to survive (and they're starting to seem pretty nervous) then they would totally make Cyberpunk 2077 a GOG-exclusive for at least a while.

Yeah, not gonna happen. Steamtards would completely flip their shit again and the outrage Youtubers would have a field day with this. Resulting PR shitstorm would overnight tank the great rep that CDPR have built over the last 13 years. In the end the "no Steam, no buy" crowd would destroy both Cyberpunk's sales and CDPR's credit and Iwinski would have to go back turning tricks at shady smuggler markets.
Going GOG exclusive would be a mistake, instead they should significantly increase the price on Steam (so 50$ on GOG, 70$ on Steam) and attract customers that way. I doubt there would be many steamtards willing to wait until the sale would kick in, instead they would either buy it at this high price (generating a huge profit per copy) or go to GOG.
Doesn't Valve forbid setting the price higher than on other distribution platforms? Like you are not releasing on Steam if the price on your game is higher than in GOG for example. Someone always mentions this argument when the point about lower base prices gets brought up in such discussions. Don't know how it's true, though, but I've heard this enough to start wondering.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Doesn't Valve forbid setting the price higher than on other distribution platforms? Like you are not releasing on Steam if the price on your game is higher than in GOG for example. Someone always mentions this argument when the point about lower base prices gets brought up in such discussions. Don't know how it's true, though, but I've heard this enough to start wondering.
GOG could still release say CP2077 at the same price for all platforms, but grant 10$ off and free DLC to those who buy on GOG and own TW3. They did this with TW3 actually. They could also reskin their lower base price as a discount on the release price, but only on GOG during the first month or two.

cosmicray

Savant
Just when I wanted to make that argument myself. It's really stupid then that even if you're self-publishing you can't lower price. It's all fucked up then. Before it was "you can't sell lower than in shops", now it's this. I hope it's not true. Also, wouldn't it break some law regarding competition?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Just when I wanted to make that argument myself. It's really stupid then that even if you're self-publishing you can't lower price. It's all fucked up then. Before it was "you can't sell lower than in shops", now it's this. I hope it's not true. Also, wouldn't it break some law regarding competition?

IIRC all that price policies are applied when you sell *Steam keys* via other sellers: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys#3

Quite reasonable I think, especially considering that they issue Steam keys without any fee. (That said many developers sell keys through dirt cheap bundles anyway.)

I don't think there's any policy Steam dictating prices in GOG or any other standalone platforms.

cosmicray

Savant
Then it's not that bad. GOG/anyone could have price on their store lower. As it should be, if the price on Steam includes Valve's share.

groundhog

Educated
Ah! It seems GOG has its proper downloader
https://af.gog.com/downloader?as=1649904300
And this is an unofficial downloader, probably the one I mentioned in my previous post:
https://sites.google.com/site/gogdownloader/

The gogdownloader was the official downloader before the introduction of Galaxy. Sometime after it was abandoned and since then it is unsupported but continues to work fine (for me at least).

The script for keeping your gog downloads updated is called 'gogrepo.py', the details of which can be found in this thread:

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/go...ection_for_full_offline_e/page1?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmicray

Savant
There's also lgogdownloader for linux. It's not abandoned, but needs, well, linux(or emulation of it in Win10). It downloads all platforms, but I think it's cli only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom