Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm a little miffed that I bought Wasteland 2 not two weeks ago, and now it's being given away for free.

Then I took a closer look and realized that I bought the Deluxe Edition for about $10. Considering the difference between the two versions, I'm content with my purchase.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a little miffed that I bought Wasteland 2 not two weeks ago, and now it's being given away for free.

Then I took a closer look and realized that I bought the Deluxe Edition for about $10. Considering the difference between the two versions, I'm content with my purchase.
You could've bought the deluxe edition upgrade after receiving the game for free, so it's still a tough deal :p I entertained the thought of buying it when it was like 6 euro, but decided against it because it really isn't that good of a game. But now I can send it to people or play it in German for free, so whatevs.

mwnn85

Savant
Nice giveaway.
The second perhaps isn't as great as we were hoping but it's nice to get Wasteland as an extra bonus.
Make sure to redeem it - found on the Wasteland 2 Directors Cut entry under More > Serial Keys:
https://imgur.com/pxvN0AC

I suppose it's cynical to believe that it's been given away to drive interest for the third part in May.
:dontbelievehislies:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I now have "Wasteland 2" and "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" in my library and have no idea which I owned before and which I got free, if any. Maybe I already had both? Who knows! In any case, cool giveaway GOG.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I had neither beforehand, but after the free giveaway I also have both.

I actually got an email with a code to give away for it, so I'm guessing I already owned both. Haha. Welcome to 2019, where we're not sure at all what we own because there's so many different stores and games. Hooray?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I love how Euros do that weird shit where they flip the month/day in the wrong place. Looked to me like the Christmas sale was gonna be from November 12 to February 1. Eh, by the pattern of gog sales lately, it wouldn't surprise me. Jack Keane, anyone? I got a crate of them. Never fired and only dropped once.

Modron

Arcane
I love how euros always say DD, MM, YY is more rational or shiet and then you counter with that YY, MM, DD is far more logical and convenient since it auto sorts without any need for special rules.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's always DD/MM/YY in Europe. At least I have never seen anything else after traveling to most of Europe and living here all my life.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
thinking.png
Which one to buy; Seven or Battle Chasers: Nightwar?
Grimoire it is.
These may be relevant in next summer sale.

Comte

I now have "Wasteland 2" and "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut" in my library and have no idea which I owned before and which I got free, if any. Maybe I already had both? Who knows! In any case, cool giveaway GOG.
I had neither beforehand, but after the free giveaway I also have both.

There is also a code for wasteland 1 for free that comes with Wasteland 2. Check the serial number tab.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

It is a mystery.

Here‘s what I do know: The initial refusal of Grimoire proved to be controversial on the gog forum, to say the least. There were a number of threads made on the gog forum (on top of the existing Grimoire discussion thread), one of which had amassed nearly 500 replies when it was locked after a week. Grimoire‘s rejection became something of a cause célèbre and it was brought up over and over again whenever gog's curation was discussed.

In the meantime, the number of votes on the community wishlist doubled after the rejection, surpassing 1000 votes in mid-June. A very respectable number for a game that is basically a one-man-project and doesn't have a marketing budget. I had been pretty vocal on the forum about my dismay over the rejection and after the counter reached 1000, I decided that now was a good time to go bother gog support about it:

Hello,

I just noticed that Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar now has over 1000 votes on the community wishlist. Here's a link in case you, dear reader, find my claim to be incredulous:

https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/grimoire_heralds_of_the_winged_exemplar?as=1649904300

Over 1000 members of the gog community have joined together and spoken in one clear voice: No, this game is not "too niche" for us. No, this game is not "a bit too small in scale in terms of production value" for us.

And that's not even mentioning the apparent irony that oldschool RPGs are precisely the niche that Good Old Games - pardon: gog.com, but that Good Old Games moniker sticks - grew popular with.

Please make some 1000+ voters happy and release Grimoire!

Thank you!

Best regards,
fronzelneekburm

I heard back from gog in the beginning of July. Usually, if you write an inquiry to gog support surrounding an unreleased game, you‘ll get a form letter reply: We‘re doing our best, sometimes there are complicated rights issues involved, we‘re working hard to bring you the best in gaming, blah blah. The reply I received was different. Maybe a new form letter, who knows. But it definitely had a more promising tone about it.

Hello fronzelneekburm,

Thank you for directing our attention towards this and it's a real pleasure to have such passionate gamers like yourself. We do watch carefully the wishes of our community and are aware of the Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar situation. That said, I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate department.

Thank you for your continuous support.

Stay awsome and happy gaming!

All the best

I pinged Cleve in mid-August and suggested that he might want to give gog a second try, since they are known to change their minds (the story I heard is that they are swamped with applications at any given time, so they will often refuse a game and only really give it a closer look if it is submitted a second time) and since 1000+ votes on the wishlist would give him leverage. The best known precedent for gog reconsidering a rejection would probably be Opus Magnum - which had a fraction of the number of Grimoire's votes, but which was backed by a considerable media blitz surrounding the gog rejection (something that Cleve couldn't count on). In mid-September Cleve started dropping cryptic hints about a possible gog release.

Long story short, I have no idea what actually happened behind the scenes, but my guess is that Cleve decided to submit Grimoire once again and gog was persuaded by the number of wishlist votes. Or they decided that keeping the game off the site was more trouble than it was worth. In any case, I'm glad Cleve stayed persistent, gog changed their minds and it's finally here. Ultimately, that's what really counts.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The best known precedent for gog reconsidering a rejection would probably be Opus Magnum

Huh, funny thing. And yet they released Zachtronics' new game which, going by the usual GOG mantra, is even more niche than Opus Magnum.

Also I recently got Exapunks on GOG and realized it was not updated since it was released (so it was behind the Steam version) so I asked for a refund if they can't get it up-to-date.
Well, they said they'll contact the developer about it and they fixed it in a couple of days.

Guess it's worth pestering support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom