Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To be honest (and no disrespect intended), if I had to compare the two on this matter, Fronzel wins every damn time.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, funny thing. And yet they released Zachtronics' new game which, going by the usual GOG mantra, is even more niche than Opus Magnum.

Also I recently got Exapunks on GOG and realized it was not updated since it was released (so it was behind the Steam version) so I asked for a refund if they can't get it up-to-date.
Well, they said they'll contact the developer about it and they fixed it in a couple of days.

Guess it's worth pestering support.

They probably (hopefully!) learnt from past mistakes, which is why they wouldn't want to refuse another Zachtronics title. The funny thing about the Opus Magnum rejection was how gog went a little out of their comfort zone with that rejection. "Too niche" had already become something of a laughing-stock meme on their forums, so instead of going with the boiler plate "too niche" rejection letter, they refused this game for "looking too much like a mobile game", which earned them even more scorn and ridicule.

Another idiosyncracy I noticed about their curation is how it seems that they will usually have a kind of test-the-waters release and if that one does well, they will absolutely drown you in similar games. There was a time when weebshit was pretty much verboten on gog. Then they took a chance by releasing a jRPG (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky), which did exceedingly well. And they've seemingly been releasing anime-themed games every other day.

In other words: If Grimoire does well, there's a pretty good chance that they'll be releasing blobbers aplenty in the near future.

And yes, gog support is pretty helpful and forthcoming for the most part. It probably won't help too much as far as getting them to release a certain game on their platform is concerned, but if that game has a good number of votes on the wishlist, it can't hurt to point them towards it.

You stole A_boring_GOG_bot's glory!

He probably got distracted because he was busy posting an archived link to Cleve's gog rejection rant in the Grimoire release thread on the gog forum in an effort to rile up the normies there. A_boring_GOG_bot, care to explain yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
You stole A_boring_GOG_bot's glory!

He probably got distracted because he was busy posting an archived link to Cleve's gog rejection rant in the Grimoire release thread on the gog forum in an effort to rile up the normies there. A_boring_GOG_bot, care to explain yourself?

Wow, faggot if true.

It's the same guy alright, as confirmed by himself in this post. I also asked him on the gog forum if that's really him (thought it was weird that a gog regular just up and went spamming links on the 'dex of all places) and got this reply.

edit:

Safav Hamon alt?

From what I've heard, that archived link has been making the rounds on some gog Discord server ahead of the Grimoire release. Apparently, people there were wondering about the controversies surrounding the game and Cleve and someone posted that link. It's entirely possible that this is how A_boring_GOG_bot got a hold of that link and he wasn't actually the one who archived it in the first place.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Got Grimoire! Can't tell it apart from the demo, most of the portraits are awful and many things i thought were placeholders are not.
And still i am feeling very excited while playing it. It feels so cozy, like a game you have to play while drinking hot tea.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I got Grimoire as well. I got a bunch of games actually and I pretty much have acquired all I want from GOG's catalogue now, with like 3 (expensive) exceptions and some games I'll probably never play but are sitting in my wishlist for some reason. I took the time to comb through all the offers and there's a mountain of shit in there, there's more shit than good tbh. There are also seemingly nicher games than Grimoire, unless they sell like crazy and I'm just unaware of the broader market.

Anyway, my point is they need to get more old actually good games, their catalogue has quite a lot of holes, especially RTSes like Lords of Everquest and Armies of Exigo. It's actually very tough to get a hold of those.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Grimoire seems to be an homage to games from a bit before my time like Eye of the Beholder, but maybe I'll give it a go. So far I got Grimrock 2 finally and a few super cheap things I already had on Steam like Alien vs. Predator.

More massive incline from gog:

POSTAL 4 Early Access released
(If you're interested in buying it, be sure to scroll down on the game page and you'll get an additional discount for buying the whole series)https://af.gog.com/game/postal_4_no_regerts?as=1649904300

FREE POSTAL 2 until 18th December 2019, 2 PM UTC

POSTAL gets a price drop and is now FREE permanently

(If you're from Germany, POSTAL 1 and 2 are geolocked for you, but since both are free now, just ask a non-German user - either on the gog forum or a fellow Codexer - to get a gift code for you and you should be all set. There is no restriction on redeeming gift codes. This should work for POSTAL 2 until the 18th and permanently for POSTAL.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Alcon Interactive Group

https://www.alconent.com/aig/

Alcon Interactive Group (AIG), Alcon’s newly formed division, emerged as a natural extension of the company’s core medium of feature films. George Collins joined AIG as President along with Al Cuenca, SVP of Digital and New Media, to produce digital entertainment products rooted in internally developed and acquired properties. AIG will base their initial ventures on the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 film. The first of which is a partnership with leading virtual reality company Oculus where they will create and distribute virtual reality experiences (VRE).

Huh, so it's finally happened because the film production company behind Blade Runner 2049 also started doing video game business.

Can't wait for The Blind Side the Video Game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom