Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They actually went the extra mile and made a whole online front-end for GOG I believe, unlike most Steamworks games which either never come to GOG at all or remove multiplayer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://af.gog.com/news/gogcom_in_2019_end_of_the_year_summary?as=1649904300

GOG.COM IN 2019 - END OF THE YEAR SUMMARY

As the year comes to an end, we're at a point where we thought it would be fun to look back and celebrate one of the best years in the history of GOG.COM yet!

First, it wouldn't be possible without the continuous support we get from all of you, for which we're deeply grateful and want to thank you! Your messages, forum comments, and support tickets keep us in check, motivate us to improve, and continue to inspire us to find new solutions for your everyday gaming problems. GOG users - you're THE BEST!

This year was full of exciting events on GOG.COM, from announcing and starting the open beta of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 application that gets all your games and friends in one place, launching pre-orders for Cyberpunk 2077, to releasing exciting new and classic games.

Let's take a closer look at some of our favorite moments of the year!

best_2019_1.png

Good Old Games

Without a doubt, we can say that 2019 was the year of good old games that returned DRM-free on GOG.COM. Our personal dreams came true as we managed to bring back games like the original Diablo with its Hellfire expansion, Warcraft I & II, and Blade Runner. Literal years of work came into fruition with these releases but also helped remind ourselves that nothing is impossible if we keep working hard and believing in it. We raised the bar for preserving classic games and we want to keep it at that level (and beyond) in 2020.

We also released quite a few less known or long-forgotten classic titles, like the futuristic strategy games MissionForce: CyberStorm and Submarine Titans, the original Warlords trilogy, the long-lost Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior, comic-like shooter XIII, the action-packed John Woo's Stranglehold, the recent batch of games published by Piko Interactive, and many more.

With all these releases, we have now fulfilled over 2 million votes cast on the Community Wishlist, which we celebrated back in August during Gamescom. We were present there to talk with business partners and media and meet with gamers visiting our Retro Area booth. We also made this cool video, you can check out below.
New game releases

We continue to expand the number of games available on GOG.COM, not only with classics but also with the newest AAA and indie titles that bring in fresh ideas, entertaining gameplay, and amazingly beautiful visuals.

You showed your love with Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 pre-orders and now we all wait in excitement for its debut next year. Among the big titles that were released in 2019, games like Age of Wonders: Planetfall, Darksiders Genesis, The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut, and Ashen were also welcomed in by you, as well. One of the biggest releases this year on GOG.COM was the thought-provoking and award-winning role-playing indie game Disco Elysium, followed by other super popular indie releases like Foundation, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York, and a whole bunch of retro-inspired shooters with Blood: Fresh Supply, AMID EVIL, and Ion Fury to name just a few.

We also continued to update our catalog in 2019 with games like BioShock: Infinite, Spec Ops: The Line, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, DUSK, Outward, Venetica, and many others. We do want to mention and send a special thank you to Focus Home Interactive who decided to take a leap of faith in going DRM-free. They released quite a few well-received games that included older titles like Bound by Flame and Mars: War Logs and more recent hits like Vampyr, The Surge, A Plague Tale: Innocence, and just recently GreedFall. Expect to see and play more of their games next year!

Based on your feedback, we're also continuously monitoring and reevaluating games that underwent our curation system and were initially rejected from releasing on GOG.COM. Thanks to your input, we were able to rediscover and add such unique games like the wonderful Heaven's Vault, the challenging Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, the magical Din's Legacy, and others.

best_2019_2.png

Cyberpunk 2077 pre-orders

Back in June, we celebrated the biggest Summer Sale in the history of GOG.COM. It was held at the same time as our friends from CD PROJEKT RED launched pre-orders for their highly-anticipated new game, Cyberpunk 2077. This is a very unique product for us - a huge title releasing DRM-free and with a set of additional digital goodies just for GOG users.

By pre-ordering this game on GOG.COM, you can also be sure that 100% of your money goes to CD PROJEKT GROUP, which both we and the studio are part of. We're very grateful to everyone who trusted us with their pre-orders, making our platform one of the most popular places to get the game!

best_2019_3.png

GOG GALAXY 2.0

After more than 2 years of keeping it secret and developing behind closed doors, we’ve finally revealed to you and the world the next big thing for our own client. With GOG GALAXY 2.0, we wanted to make an application that is bigger than the client you know and use it (only if you want!) to manage, update, and play your GOG.COM games.

The fact that our games and friends are scattered between multiple dedicated clients and launchers is becoming increasingly annoying. We believe gamers deserve a better experience. With GOG GALAXY 2.0 we want to conveniently show you all your games as one library and make it easier than ever to stay in touch with your friends across PC and console platforms. We’re amazed and thankful for the reception of the app – thank you for all your comments, reports, and ideas that keep us going and help make the experience even better.

Of course, we haven’t forgotten about GOG.COM – GOG GALAXY 2.0 remains your optional client with features you know like auto-updates, cloud saves, cross-play, rollbacks and more. On top of that, the whole client has been rebuilt from the ground up to be better and faster. All features for third-party platforms work for GOG.COM – the new games library allows you to filter, sort and add tags to customize your views and save them for easy access. Thanks to the new friends section, you can even track your friends’ progress in every GOG.COM game, as well as see what they are currently playing.

If you are interested, you can join the open beta now and test all the features for yourself.

What's next?

For now, let's remember and celebrate this amazing year. There's also still some time left to grab thousands of deals during our Winter Sale. Once it ends on January 2nd, you can be sure we'll already be hard at work to bring you more cool games, provide the best solutions to your everyday gaming problems, and surprise you with completely new ideas.

Thank you very much for being with us this year and we'll do our best to make you proud in 2020! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Based on your feedback, we're also continuously monitoring and reevaluating games that underwent our curation system and were initially rejected from releasing on GOG.COM. Thanks to your input, we were able to rediscover and add such unique games like the wonderful Heaven's Vault, the challenging Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, the magical Din's Legacy, and others.
I was wondering whether they would mention Grimoire and was pleasantly surprised. Still, bad taste remains.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I went to gog last night and it was like friggin off-line. I couldn't get to the forums or my game list. GAYYY. I'll assume they're updating everything for the new year. And you know, I've never used GOG galaxy. I just haven't cared to.

Fixed. They still didn't fix the Mortal Kombat 1 icon in my game list. No cover pic is displayed. It'd be like getting some shitty box from good will torn and with notbook paper and a big X on it saying mortal kombat.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
I was wondering whether they would mention Grimoire and was pleasantly surprised. Still, bad taste remains.

Wonder if someone at GOG got the boot, would explain the sudden change of heart. Hopefully will also mean less "artsy" garbage indies.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Was that because he was outed as a shitty weasel?

Edit: Read a couple of pages back rusty faggot.

Last edited:
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
AVOID today's new release Niffelheim! It's missing multiplayer (despite it being advertised on the game page) and (edit: You'll need to launch it via Galaxy for the multiplayer to show up) Odin`s Blessing DLC.

ADL

Prophet

Wonder if someone at GOG got the boot, would explain the sudden change of heart. Hopefully will also mean less "artsy" garbage indies.
Whatever happened, I'm glad it happened because I'm sick of being forced to buy games on itch.io and steam, if a developer wants to release a DRM-free pile of shit on their service, they should let them even if it is a pile of shit in the interests of advocating DRM-free software.

Vorark

Erudite
Great news! From what I've been reading, GOG initially rejected it but mysteriously went back on their decision. XSeed has most if not all their catalogue on GOG already, would be silly not to release it there too on the grounds of it being too niche or whatever.

:incline:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is it good? I'm always on the lookout for good cyberpunk games.

It's very atmospheric and I got some sweet 1980s vibes from it. A lot of 'Bladerunner' with a little bit of 'Big Trouble in Little China' sprinkled in. If you like 80s cyberpunk, point and click adventure games, and early John Carpenter films, then you'll like this.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Is it good? I'm always on the lookout for good cyberpunk games.
I made an LP of this ages ago, if you want to get an idea of what it's like. I don't recommend going too far into the LP if you actually plan on playing it. I think it's a great game, but then I'm a sucker for optional content and multiple paths in adventure games, and both Rise of the Dragon and Heart of China had a lot of this.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, buy the GOG version but then play the Sega CD version if you can. The mild censorship is annoying but everything else is better.

Bara

Arcane
Well this is coming to gog on the 30th.

Apparently launched on early access on steam back in October. Looks decent, anyone played it?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know what I saw on steam that isn't on gog...

Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2. Geeze GOG... fuck me hard. No one has Heretic 2 due to some bullshit. I think maybe I uh .. acquired a dl somewhere since I doubt it'd install on my win10 from disc. As for Heretic and hexen.. I should probably just use project brutality or something. Can't recall if I have hexen 2. Loved Raven games even if they're shooters. Am I a true boomer? Well, damn I played doom so long and ignored so many rpgs until I clickfested on diablo and d2. None of those are true rpgs.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another problem with Heretic 2, beyond its general unavailability in online stores, is that unlike Heretic 1, Hexen and Hexen 2, Heretic 2's source code was never released.

At least for Heretic 1, Hexen and Hexen 2 i have the data files copied from Steam and bundled with a source port.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well this is coming to gog on the 30th.

Apparently launched on early access on steam back in October. Looks decent, anyone played it?

looks like Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom