Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Modron

Arcane
Not a bad game. Some of those cars are pretty sweet.
I disagree, the Saboteur tried to be both an Assassin's Creed climbing stealth takedown game and a GTA game and just comes off as a blander than either having been pulled in two directions. Side content is relegated to blowing up 8000 AA guns, fuel tanks, et cetera and there is little to no motivation to do so because you quickly acquire all the money you would need from the first few hundred and all the rest just make an easier game even easier by cutting down on opposition on the map. Could use some races and apparently they couldn't get assets to stream fast enough for planes on consoles in their engine so they axed planes entirely. In at least one mission it really felt like they were building an escape from the airfield then you just nope out the front entrance after mowing down some nazis.

I count it up there with Just Cause 2 as one of the most pointless open world games I have played and I have a high tolerance for open world games. Don't let me dissuade you from trying the game as the setting had potential, just let me say if you aren't enjoying it the Saboteur is not going to get better the further you go on. Would be better off playing Mafia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Christ. Fresh releases - Commandos 2 HD Remaster, Praetorians HD Remaster, Of Orcs and Men, Styx: Master of Shadows, and Styx: Shards of Darkness. Top it off with a huge 'Lunar Sale'. Cut to a broken man surrounded by upturned hourglasses, muttering to himself 'not enough time, not enough time...'

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played Styx: Master of Shadows when it came out and I remember I kinda liked it. I don't remember whether I finished it or not though. It wasn't anything mindblowing, but eh. It doesn't have Thief's methodical, plodding pace or its thick, weighty atmosphere, it's more like an action game in its presentation and framing.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The two Styx games are both enjoyable stealth games. Not gonna set the world on fire, but if you want some AA Splinter Cell they're worth that price for sure. Never played the action game Styx originated in though.

Bara

Arcane
Which Styx game is best?

I'd stick with the first stix game unless your okay with being left on a cliff hanger. While the styx games are all set before of Orcs and Men though you know how it all ends overall but its a pretty big gap between Shards of Darkness to Of Orcs and Men.

First one felt like it had a good enough narrative end to stand on its own. Still waiting on that follow up game for shards of darkness's ending.

Bara

Arcane
Yeah I'll give you that the second game certainly plays a lot better and everything feels a lot more fluid.

Unresolved cliffhanger endings just bother me a lot.

newtmonkey

Arcane
That's worth it for the 1-3 remakes, with BT4 as a bonus game.

BT4 was good enough for me to finish, but just barely. I had way more fun playing the BT1 remake.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another day, another delists.
Again - from Retroism.

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/re...ng_2_lead_and_destroy_delisting?as=1649904300

Requiem - Avenging Angel and both Uprising games

Looks like this is to do with some company called Prism Entertainment. From Steam page of Uprising. Other games has the same:

© 2016 Prism Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. Published by RETROISM. RETROISM and the RETROISM logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tommo Inc. PRISM and the PRISM logo are trademarks of Prism Entertainment, Inc.

UPRISING is a trademark that was originally used and owned by The 3DO Company and that was acquired by James Alan Cook and is used by Prism Entertainment under license. All other trademarks and logos are properties of their respective owners.

From LinkedIn page of James Alan Cook:

Founder / President

Company Name Prism Entertainment, Inc.
Dates Employed 2009 – Present
Employment Duration 11 yrs
Location Palo Alto, CA

Prism Entertainment, Inc. is the licensor of numerous interactive entertainment products that were originally published by The 3DO Company and its affiliates, New World Computing and Cyclone Studios, including such well-known video games as BATTLETANX, BATTLESPORT, CAPTAIN QUAZAR, KILLING TIME, REQUIEM: AVENGING ANGEL, UPRISING, WORLD DESTRUCTION LEAGUE: THUNDER TANKS, and many more.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Uprising worth getting for an FPS fan not that into vehicle stuff? I'm assuming no but thought I'd ask. I have Requiem already.

Edit: Youtube says stay away.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I wasted many a moon on these games as a kid, and they had a tremendous impact on me.
Fantastic turn based strategy games, where you see the 3D world through the eyes of your commanders.
The first one is a very good strategy game where the recruitable good and neutral lords (the Free and the Fey) are static and you must recruit them, while the Evil Doomdark's huge armies (the Foul) are pouring out on the Plains of Blood.
One thing I really liked about the game was that you could kind of set the difficulty yourself by deciding on how agressively to defend. You could be really cowardly and just defend the Citadel of Xajorkith until Doomdark had spent his forces, or you could try to defend the Plains of Blood with the Keep of Blood as the spear point, or anything in between.

Doomdark's Revenge was even more replayable as all the lords are mobile, and anything can happen.
Unfortunately is has some flaws; the AI can't enter underground tunnels and you can't force fights with the AI. And if Luxor is killed it's game over, so it was safest to just park him in a tunnel. But still a great game, where you can set your own difficulty by limiting your choice of allies. For example only recruit Barbarians, which is the smallest of the five factions.

I've tried to replay the games in more recent years, but either the versions have not been faithful or there was no functional automap. But I tested the GOG version of LOM and it looks very faithful the original game (the graphics have been "softened" a bit) and the automap looks very functional, so it looks very playable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom