Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Melcar

Arcane
So I bought Kingdom Come on the last sale to try it out. Planned to play it this weekend. Log on to GOG and... 15 individual downloads for the game? You fucking joking right? I'm not installing that Galaxy shit. I guess I should have just not removed it from inventory.

GOG breaks large downloads for Windows to chunks of 4GB, most likely to accommodate for people storing the files on FAT32 drives (the file sizes are always a couple of bytes less than a full 32bit number which is the limit of what FAT32 can handle - well, FAT32 can handle an extra byte, but i guess that is just a common "off by one" mistake :-P). So the larger the installer is, the more the files - and that goes extra with additional DLCs and such.

In any case you can also use the GOG downloader to download the files. With the downloader installed you can use the "More" menu to get the downloader links and it'll download these files for you on the background.

Is anyone still using FAT32? GOG Downloader in Windows only, but found lgogdownloader. Testing it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is anyone still using FAT32?

I was contemplating to add a "just in case anyone wonders if people still using FAT32" sidenote on my comment, but decided that it wouldn't be needed - and it only took two minutes to see i was wrong :-P.

Yes, people do use FAT32. It isn't as common on internal HDDs, but it is often found in USB memory sticks (especially the smaller sizes you can buy for change money - or get for free via promotions - pretty much everywhere). Also consider that GOG sells a lot of older games that people run on older computers (though i think they need at least Vista to run), so these installers may not always run on the latest and greatest PCs.

Also GOG uses InnoSetup for the Windows installers which can be used for a much larger range of installation types than just games (that rarely need anything more than extracting some files in a folder and -in rare cases- run an additional installer for DirectX runtime or whatever), so it can have its own limitations to support these. But that is just my guess, with a quick search i couldn't find any mention that InnoSetup cannot handle files larger than 4GB so it is most likely intentional to support FAT32.

It may also help to resume larger downloads for worse connections (mine does break every now and then, for example), though usually you can resume this and they only do it for Windows - Linux and macOS downloads are >4GB. So again, again this points to FAT32 as the main reason :-P.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Most of the time i have to go to my local library and dl. I have to transfer to thumb drive and it only allow individual files of up to 4 gig to be transferred so this is fine for me. I'd rather have a small 4 gig fuck up during dl than say a 70 gig at 80% done fuck up during dl.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yes, people do use FAT32. It isn't as common on internal HDDs, but it is often found in USB memory sticks (especially the smaller sizes you can buy for change money - or get for free via promotions - pretty much everywhere). Also consider that GOG sells a lot of older games that people run on older computers (though i think they need at least Vista to run), so these installers may not always run on the latest and greatest PCs.

Any time GOG tries to limit options to the 99% majority for their convenience their forum freaks the fuck out and acts like they've become Steam overnight.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, i prefer they give as many options as they can, the "we know better than you what is good for you" mentality that many tech companies have adopted nowadays can be tiring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Eh, i prefer they give as many options as they can, the "we know better than you what is good for you" mentality that many tech companies have adopted nowadays can be tiring.

To a degree sure, and my post wasn't meant to imply all those people are wrong. I'm not sure I see the "as many options as they can" being played out by forcing me to do ten separate 4GB downloads instead of offering a single download, because of a very small number of people who want that. The real options play would be to offer both.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
It would be a big waste of resources to do both though just to avoid clicking ten links (which wont be the case for most games anyway). It doesn't cost them (or anyone else) anything to split the files to 4GB chunks but it would cost them to keep several additional terabytes just to avoid those clicks. And there is GOG downloader and Galaxy if you want to avoid that too.

Don't take the "as they can" as something to be taken to its logical extremes, consider the effort too. There is practically zero effort to offer 4GB chunks while there is more than that to offer two separate download types for essentially the same installer (e.g. consider the work that would need to be put on the UI - unless you want *both* being listed at the same time, you'd need some option somewhere for your preference, this needs to be programmed in, graphic designers need to take into account for the graphics, QA needs to take into account that with people having download problems, etc).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's definitely a minor inconvenience, I don't care that much. My main point was that any kind of "we're upgrading to this so Tandy PCs from 1994 might not work anymore" stuff at GOG is greeted with a 50 page thread declaring they betrayed their principles and the end times are among us. That audience is extremely paranoid and aggressive. I once suggested they offer the offline backup installers through the client for download purposes and was treated like a Nazi at a Nebraska BBQ in 1942.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bara

Arcane
Happy these games finally got on gog but man this would have been a great time to also finally put Knights of the Chalice on gog.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

They don't hate blobbers now?

This is like that thing Fronzel was talking about:

Another idiosyncracy I noticed about their curation is how it seems that they will usually have a kind of test-the-waters release and if that one does well, they will absolutely drown you in similar games. There was a time when weebshit was pretty much verboten on gog. Then they took a chance by releasing a jRPG (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky), which did exceedingly well. And they've seemingly been releasing anime-themed games every other day.

In other words: If Grimoire does well, there's a pretty good chance that they'll be releasing blobbers aplenty in the near future.

If today's releases are any indication, Grimoire (and that nihonjin Wizardry game) seem to have done fairly well.

Syl

Cipher

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
This is a great release and sale, too bad i've already spent this month's gaming budget :-P, so they go on the wishlist for now.

Also, is StarCrawlers finished now? I remember it was in development for a long time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://af.gog.com/news/7_new_dungeon_crawlers_on_gogcom_await_your_discovery?as=1649904300

7 NEW DUNGEON CRAWLERS ON GOG.COM AWAIT YOUR DISCOVERY

If you love to explore the deepest tunnels and darkest caves in search of fame and fortune, this is your lucky day. 7 dungeon crawlers, made with passion, arrive on GOG.COM. Let’s see to what darkest corners of the underworld they’ll take us.

Mazes and Monsters

The title of one of the earliest Tom Hanks’ movies mentioned above is no coincidence. From the beginning of tabletop RPGs in the 1970s, setting the action of a story in various dungeons and underground caves was considered almost generic. Why? The claustrophobic atmosphere of dark tunnels helped players to focus on their goal and it enabled the game master to keep the action of the RPG session on a somewhat smaller scale.

DC_editorial_1.jpg

Swords and Pixels

In tabletop gaming, as well as in computer RPGs, so-called dungeon crawlers became a vanguard of the whole genre. The first known title of this breed was pedit5 developed for the PLATO system by Rusty Rutherford in 1975. Early dungeon crawlers, like dnd and Moria, were turn-based and had very crude visuals, yet they managed to inspire a whole generation of RPG creators and fans.

After Dungeon Master, a classic title by FTL Games from 1988, dungeon crawlers with a first-person perspective and real-time action became more popular. The game’s spiritual successor was the Eye of the Beholder trilogy from SSI and Westwood Studios with its eye-catching visuals and the rich Forgotten Realms world setting. Westwood then went on to create its own Lands of Lore RPG series with great music from Frank Klepacki.

DC_editorial_2_edit.png

Other classic dungeon crawlers worth mentioning are the Ishar trilogy from the French studio Silmarils and the Might & Magic series that later gave birth to the hugely popular turn-based strategy series known as Heroes of Might and Magic. Their legacy lives on, as we now witness a new generation of dungeon crawlers arrive on our modern computers. Here are 7 of them freshly made available on GOG.COM.
DC_editorial_3.png

Conglomerate 451

The game from RuneHeads is an interesting cyberpunk addition to the dungeon crawler genre. Conglomerate 451 is a grid-based, first-person RPG with roguelike elements set in the hostile world of the future. As the CEO of a Special Agency, you have been given the command by the Senate of Conglomerate to restore the order in sector 451. To do that, you must build your own team of enhanced agents and fight crime with every weapon at your disposal.

DC_editorial_4.png

Dark Quest 1 & 2

Those two games from Brain Seal Ltd are a tribute to the first turn-based dungeon crawlers from the past. In Dark Quest 1, the player will take the role of a mighty barbarian on his quest to destroy the minions led by an evil sorcerer. In Dark Quest 2, the game system is now party-based and the visuals have received a significant upgrade.

DC_editorial_5.jpg

Heroes of the Monkey Tavern

Here we have a first-person perspective title which bears much resemblance to the classic Stonekeep dungeon crawler. We join a team of four heroes who, after spending countless days and nights celebrating within the infamous Monkey Tavern, went completely broke. Now, their fates are about to change as one mysterious stranger shows them the location of a tower filled with a priceless bounty.

DC_editorial_6.jpg

Knightin'+

A humorous isometric dungeon crawler with some arcade elements. The creators of Knightin'+ from Muzt Die Studios took much inspiration from the classic The Legend of Zelda series by Shigeru Miyamoto. In the game, you join brave Sir Lootalot on his epic quest for fortune and glory. Explore and fight your way through the dungeons filled with traps, puzzles, magical artifacts, and of course – dangerous bosses.

DC_editorial_7.jpg

Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown

A real treat for pixel art and heroic fantasy fans. Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown is a tribute to the 1990s dungeon crawlers like the already mentioned Ishar and Eye of the Beholder series. The turn-based system makes the game really easy to play and the story is the quintessential hero’s quest, with magical, picturesque land and good triumphing over evil in the end.

DC_editorial_8.png

The Quest and Islands of Ice and Fire DLC

This game closely resembles the Might & Magic games, especially the last ones with their first-person perspective and 3D environment. The Quest from Redshift has a neat hand-drawn world, a grid-based movement system, and turn-based combat. A huge kingdom of Monares presented in the game allows us to spend many hours just exploring without touching the main story at all. In the game’s DLC, titled Islands of Ice and Fire, the player can explore even the most remote parts of Monares.

Every dungeon crawler fan will find something for themselves amongst the six titles presented above. They are also a great choice for anyone who would like to start their adventure with this genre with a long history and many classic titles in the past. So, let’s brace ourselves and venture into the dark and dangerous dungeons!

Naraya

Arcane
The Quest bored me personally but of course Lands of Lore is always worth a playthrough. I wish I had the time and strength of will to play through the Ishar series. I always loved the art and atmosphere in those games (Silmarils in general excelled in this).

catfood

AGAIN
The Quest bored me personally but of course Lands of Lore is always worth a playthrough. I wish I had the time and strength of will to play through the Ishar series. I always loved the art and atmosphere in those games (Silmarils in general excelled in this).
No, I was referring to the newer titles.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Massive WTF!!?
https://af.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic?as=1649904300
After 25 years Master of Magic gets a DLC! Explore new strategies and experience Master of Magic at its best with Caster of Magic, a new DLC that adds dozens of options and tons of content to the base game. Enjoy the unlimited replayability that Caster of Magic adds to the base game, thanks to hundreds of new settings and an improved wizard customization. Will you dominate your opponents with your new spells and units, or will you surrender?

Caster of Magic started out as a mod, championed by Seravy and building on top of the already popular community patch. Caster of Magic has been a fan favorite of the Master of Magic community and we are pleased to be able to work with Seravy to officially integrate Caster of Magic, giving him the recognition he deserves.
FEATURES:
  • Improved wizard customization to provide maximal replayability
  • Improved diplomacy system
  • Extra emphasis on magic spells and fantastic creatures
  • Even more spells and units
  • New city buildings
  • New AI that provides a challenge for even veteran players
  • More difficulty levels
  • Many more map generation options
  • Building queue system for convenient and faster gameplay

Naraya

Arcane
Massive WTF!!?
https://af.gog.com/game/master_of_magic_caster_of_magic?as=1649904300
After 25 years Master of Magic gets a DLC! Explore new strategies and experience Master of Magic at its best with Caster of Magic, a new DLC that adds dozens of options and tons of content to the base game. Enjoy the unlimited replayability that Caster of Magic adds to the base game, thanks to hundreds of new settings and an improved wizard customization. Will you dominate your opponents with your new spells and units, or will you surrender?

Caster of Magic started out as a mod, championed by Seravy and building on top of the already popular community patch. Caster of Magic has been a fan favorite of the Master of Magic community and we are pleased to be able to work with Seravy to officially integrate Caster of Magic, giving him the recognition he deserves.
FEATURES:
  • Improved wizard customization to provide maximal replayability
  • Improved diplomacy system
  • Extra emphasis on magic spells and fantastic creatures
  • Even more spells and units
  • New city buildings
  • New AI that provides a challenge for even veteran players
  • More difficulty levels
  • Many more map generation options
  • Building queue system for convenient and faster gameplay

I mean this mod was pretty well known but I didn't know GOG endorsed 3rd party mods as official ones (?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom